Bafang BBS02 Motor Noise

rewsiffer

100 µW
Hi, I just purchased a used BBS02 motor on craiglist(I know) and I've got it attached to the frame, though I don't have all the drive components mounted yet. When I power it under throttle or PAS it makes a ratcheting/clicking noise, see below video. Is this sound normal? I got the motor with a nice battery for a pretty good price, but I am hoping this noise isn't forshadowing a untimely death. Thoughts?

[youtube]i9N2hw-oCr4[/youtube]

Presuming that the sound is really coming from the drive unit and not from somewhere else on the bike, it doesn't sound normal. However you'd get a much better idea if the motor was working under a load because then a broken nylon gear or freewheel would be much more obvious.

The positives are that:

1. your motor is actually working - that's good!

2. BBS units are pretty easy to take apart and diagnose (lots of stuff on youtube)

3. internal gears etc (or the bits most likely to break anyway) are cheap.

If you got a great deal on the battery then I suggest you have a go at rescuing the drive - it's not too hard if things are still going round and round!

Sam.

Just sounds like the one way clutch in the pedal mechanism. If it didn't have one of these, then the pedals would spin when you operate the throttle and smash your calves to bits lol. Sounds normal to me, so wouldn't worry too much about it.

Big source of noise in mine are the final drive gears, so I open it up every few thousand miles and add a bit of grease in there.

Open it up and grease it. Finish the build. You may be golden.

Good news is the plastic film is still intact on the side of the motor. Looks like it hasnt been abused...

BUT....Id have come here first, sorted serial numbers and details before the purchase. Jeez, I mean the seller didnt care enough to clean the motor?

Back