TSDZ2 Blue Gear opinions

Daytriker

10 W
I am just curious & a little confused by this motor kit & the apparent problems with the Blue Delrin Gear that seems to fail. It is my understanding that this gear can fail from having too much torque applied to it & therefore you should always start out in power level 1 as a pre-caution to causing damage. So this is where I get confused. If you are applying torque through pedaling & through the motor couldn't the added torque from pedaling also be risking this gear failure? Since you would increase your power level from the motor as well as through your pedals when climbing a hill, wouldn't this be a risk of causing failure or am I missing something? Would it not be a better pre-caution to always make sure you were in a low gear when starting off or climbing a hill rater than be concerned about which power level the motor is in? Thank you for your responses & clarification.
One other item. (I don't presently have a customers trike to experiment on) I seem to remember in the back menu options the choice of turning Walking Mode on or off. If I remember correctly I think it is 6kms/hr. Would there be an added safety benefit to not having the motor kick in until you were pedaling at 6kms./hr?

Yup, they are fragile. Just stripped mine today, had around 700km. It runs in parallel so your effort doesn't go through it.

About 500 miles so far, no issues with the blue primary gear yet.

The secondary gears have somewhat bedded in as the noise level is reduced, but its still the loudest motor of the 12 different systems we've tested.

There may be some other issues such as the shaft bores of the mating gears being mis-aligned, or incorrect endplay clearance. Multi-stage gearboxes take tight tolerance control in the assembly, as the orientation of the primary reduction alignment will affect the secondary alignment at least in this layout.

Triketech said:
its still the loudest motor of the 12 different systems we've tested.
Interesting. it's the quietest motor I've tried or have...

Triketech said:
tomjasz said:
Triketech said:
its still the loudest motor of the 12 different systems we've tested.
Interesting. it's the quietest motor I've tried or have...

Some are. The problem is you never know what you'll get.
Thanks for the honest answer. That cinches it. Mine will be for sale, as is...quiet with no access to setup. What a shame.

tomjasz said:
Thanks for the honest answer. That cinches it. Mine will be for sale, as is...quiet with no access to setup. What a shame.

We're replacing ours with a hubmotor but I probably won't sell it. No one would be happy with it.

It may get re-purposed on a project I've been pondering. An "Indirect Drive" E-Trike.

Been tempted to build a Steintrike Wild One using the pedal input as a generator only, and a stout Hubmotor as the power unit. No chain. I could care less about the efficiency of this configuration, its all about the reliability and tractability. I have a spare MAC 12T, but the nylon gears would need to be replaced with brass gears. No to steel. One of the bowling ball weighted Direct Drives is still an option.

I've also got about a dozen quadrature BLDC PCB's from projects I've developed for industrial applications. A few of them would be usable for converting the TSDZ2 to provide a 0-5V throttle signal as well as "pump up" the battery, although that may require a home-built PCB. Not a problem in this household. Nor is the firmware programming....

Its not a priority so don't expect anything for while. At this point, that's the most practical use for mine.

I have my fingers crossed that the brass upgrade will do the job, really like this kit but guess what you pay for it what you get. That said there are a few reports around of BB02's stripping a similar gear and those kits cost a quite a bit more.

mingonn said:
I have my fingers crossed that the brass upgrade will do the job, really like this kit but guess what you pay for it what you get. That said there are a few reports around of BB02's stripping a similar gear and those kits cost a quite a bit more.
But those are clearly attributable to improper use. Rider error, not motor failure. I've been riding a pair of BBS01's 36V 15A 22MPH 44TX11T for over 3 years, a few thousand miles on each one.

$400 for a new BBS01 not that much difference.

Daytriker said:
I am just curious & a little confused by this motor kit & the apparent problems with the Blue Delrin Gear that seems to fail.
I have a chunk of the workshop manual and the gear is described as nylon, not delrin. It may not be Nylon-6 but maybe -12 which would be better than either -6 or delrin. Delrin is a "pretty" material, good chemical resistance and low water expansion but nylon was better for arduous applications.

i set off in whatever gear I stopped in but if I feel a slight feathering - as if riding over a low rumble strip - I knock the power off and get up off the saddle if I have to and pedal whilst changing gear. I can get this as well if in too high a gear and too slow.

It seems to me that there's recognisable warning that the motor isn't happy?

Back