BBS02 chain problems

denniswoos

10 µW
My wife and I have replaced her stock bafang 46t chain ring with a 42t Lekkie Bling Ring, and her 9-speed chain keeps coming off the Lekkie when she shifts to her two lowest (biggest) rear gears. The chain line doesn't seem bad to us, as it is straight on the 5th gear. In fact, the Lekkie is as close to the chain stay as it could be. It pops off even on the stand, and we see the chain ride up on some of the Lekkie's teeth. If I press down on the chain even a little bit while pedaling it stays on fine. The bafang also sometimes came off, which is why we ordered the Lekkie. Any ideas/thoughts? Thanks!

First thing I'd try doing is shortening the chain to compensate for the smaller front chain ring, then make sure the deraileur is adjusted properly to avoid the upper gear on it contacting the largest chain ring on the back. If that fails I'd replace the chain and cassette. My BBS02 didn't behave properly chain wise until I did that.

Thanks - I think those are all good tips. Also, I just looked at the chain more closely and I see that it is an SRAM, which Lekkie says is not recommended. So, first thing I am going to do is to try a KMC.

I have done a little research on chain guides, and I see that one can use the unused front derailleur or buy a guide. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!

9-speed KMC chain and adjustment = all good! Hard to believe that one brand of chain over another could make such a huge difference, but apparently it is so. Bottom line - Lekkie Bling Ring does not work with SRAM chain.

denniswoos said:
9-speed KMC chain and adjustment = all good! Hard to believe that one brand of chain over another could make such a huge difference, but apparently it is so. Bottom line - Lekkie Bling Ring does not work with SRAM chain.

Did you check the SRAM chain to see if it had stretched some? Could just be matter of wear with the previous chain and chainring having worn "comfortably" together.

I think the Leccie ring was designed for an 8 spd chain and is slightly wider when new, on the SRAM chain it seems to pick up at times and dislodge itself, typically when approaching gates and the likes and you momentarily back pedal or as in my case back pedaling whilst changing the cog to kill the power on the BBS02 I have. After about 50 miles of use though it seemed to have worn off all the rough wider points and has narrowed enough that the problem is less common and now I only get it sporadically.

I will try though a KMC chain next time just to see if it will help as I going through chains pretty quickly with the power of the BBS02.

Back