My version of Friction Bike.

Discussions related to motors other than hub motors.
This includes R/C motors, botttom bracket, roller and geared drives.
Ansis99
100 µW
100 µW

My version of Friction Bike.

Post by Ansis99 » Oct 10, 2017 8:52 am

After some years of thinking, finally I made my version of Friction Bike. Idea comes from here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVsJZBR ... e=youtu.be
In my version there is the same principal, but I made it with local parts from Home Depot, eBay and local electronic shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU-TpOeetgA
Two 555 timers, 1 relay, two Voltage stabilizers, 2 switches, 4S 8.8A battery with charge controller from eBay, Brushless motor controler from eBay- for ebikes, not for RC planes and finally Servo motor with shock absorber from RC Car models.
Servo motor I control with constant current when it starts (300mA consumption, about 5W), after switch is deactivated it returns to the "rest point" no current is consumed. When all stay in rest, it eats about 50mA of Current.
Something like that :)

spinningmagnets
100 GW
100 GW

Re: My version of Friction Bike.

Post by spinningmagnets » Oct 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Ansis99
100 µW
100 µW

Post by Ansis99 » Oct 11, 2017 10:28 am

I make my first ride in the wet weather. Bad results. Motor slips out. Maybe some of you guys know best sandpeper type, grit nummber or another technology? Just copy link here, I will read out. Thank you!

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Oct 12, 2017 2:18 am

some discussion about that:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/searc ... mit=Search

Not all of them are relevant, but there's some good info in there. There's also other friction drive threads that discuss it; the search above only looks for threads whose first post has both friction and grip in it.

Ansis99
100 µW
100 µW

Post by Ansis99 » Oct 12, 2017 3:09 am

Thank you, very much!

Ansis99
100 µW
100 µW

Post by Ansis99 » Oct 17, 2017 5:20 am

Hi! I spend 2 days and read out everything. Sandpaper with 80(60-100) grit is defolt choice. I bought anti slip tape, but... I am believer and I always take talk to my savior :). In the process of heavenly search I understand, the rubber sheet if I will properly glue everything in place, will be the best? And yes! I find rubber sleeve in my "Ksenukai" shop.
It is just my try, dont take it too seriously, right now because I dont know how it will be! :)
OK. Here is my setup. 24 hour water resistant rubber glue, rubbersleeve, ruler, scisorrs, slider, PVC 50mm pipe for propper diameter scale/adjuster and Acetone for cleaning everthing.
rsz_dsc_0313.jpg
Tools
After I does the job, everything looks like that.
Yes, I use PVC tape to hold it in place, make it more predictible (not to fly away if something go wrong).
0315.jpg
Glued on the motor
(222.42 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
I will inform you about my experiment after testing in the autumn environment.

Skaiwerd
10 W
10 W

Post by Skaiwerd » Oct 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Hey
My sandpaper wore through rather quickly. Then I just went directly to the metal exterior of the motor. Took the paint off to bare metal where the tire is. I could feel a recess with my finger indicating metal was being worn away. Maybe to much pressure from motor to tire. Friction drive, easy to get the wheel to spin. Hard to manage the rest amps etc as it’s sensorless for most motors with not much reduction. You got a motor spinning by thousands of rpm when you need hundreds. They don’t have a nickname for a certain controller “castle cremations” for nothing. I told my wife someone was burning trash to give an excuse for the smell on my clothes. Uphill battle unless you know how to set up a proper esc.

Ansis99
100 µW
100 µW

Post by Ansis99 » Oct 17, 2017 2:06 pm

:) I use this controller:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-36V-500W ... 2749.l2649
Of cours, this is only 500W and 15A current limited device, but I hope will be OK.
P.S. Yes, Friction bike is not ideal, but we can try to make something usefull. Hubs or Middrive need battery. When battery go to rest we start to work... :)

Ansis99
100 µW
100 µW

Post by Ansis99 » Oct 18, 2017 10:12 am

Some news. Today I try to ride my bike, but with no success. The reason is relaited in my charger/ protection board. I buy 10A version which is too low. Today I buy 30A version from eBay. After unsuccesfull try I make my improvised test bench which I made from Bike training machine and my friction bike :).
rsz_dsc_0316.jpg
Test bench
Test was successfull with 6A continues current draw, but it is not enough.
Positive news - Rubber sleeve survive! :).

Ansis99
100 µW
100 µW

Post by Ansis99 » Oct 25, 2017 2:28 am

Little bit about problems of this design. Motor weight is about 450 grams. In my construction when motor is deactivated it's position is not fixed (Servo motor just lift up it and switch off). Gravitational forces and driving conditions (bumps, holes, vibration of the road) throw motor down to the tyre :(. P.S. New controller is not arrive yet.

Ansis99
100 µW
100 µW

Post by Ansis99 » Nov 08, 2017 4:41 am

Today is the first happy day! New charger/ controler/ protector of battery pack work just fine. Rubber roller works good in moderate wet asfalt. I use this controller board.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4S-14-8V-30A-B ... 2749.l2649

There is problem with this board! If you solder battery pack which is not balanced identically than controller go to sleep mode :(. For resolving that problem you must put about 20V in charge port for about 10 seconds. Than you must discharge pack with 4A Current (in my case) and charge it again with powerful charger board. After charging all battery packs are balanced and ready to work.

My setup is very very quit. It's because construction. I put rubber sleeves between mount and frame of bike. It is like that: frame=>rubber=>mount=>rubber=>washer=>bolt head. I hope you understand. Next big silencer :) is motor controller (500W from ebay). In the controller, there is Current protection about 15A, which means we must pedall. I try to drive with motor only, yes it works, but I have no power meter at my handle bar and I don't know when it switches OFF.

Next. I put rubber rings to pull my motor up for "rest point with fixation" without dropping down when I ride.
rsz_dsc_0318.jpg
Temporary solution
(239.58 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Thats all for now.

:)

Ansis99
100 µW
100 µW

Post by Ansis99 » Dec 20, 2017 11:08 am

Hi! Some updates. Rubber sleeve on the motor works good, but only in dry weather.
I can ride about 20 km with my 4S 8A battery pack, fully charged with active pedaling.
I like this design, because it is light, helps in windy situations and when I pedalling against small hills. Of course that is nice to make this project and I think I done it good. Both protections (one inside motor controller, second mounted on battery pack) works good. No heat (on the heatsinks) if I pedall quickly.

There is some dhgate.com internet market. I find there this product:

https://www.dhresource.com/0x0s/f2-albu ... iction.jpg

I try to send message to the seller about product properties, but without success. Maybe some of you guys who buy something from dhgate store, can try to ask about this product?

P.S. One of my friend buy products (in dhgate), but he lost money, because of no PayPal money transfer system. I trust only PayPal. Thanks!