BBSHD Firmware Upgrade

automan25

100 mW
Does anyone know how to upgrade the firmware on the BBSHD controller and where to get the latest firmware? According to Luna the controllers currently being shipped from Bafang no longer have the issue with the non-progressive throttle while peddling. Luna has been gracious enough to offer to upgrade the firmware for me if I send them my controller. That's totally worth it of course, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of removing it and all the wiring from my bike if I can do the upgrade with my computer here at home.

Sorry, I can't help you with your request. But I've been pursuing the pedal/throttle issue on the 2017 BBS02 controllers for the last four months, including many exchanges with both LUNA and EM3EV. Could you tell here who gave you the information that the new controllers "operate properly" and/or the actual statement that was made?

Thanks,

automan25 said:
Does anyone know how to upgrade the firmware on the BBSHD controller and where to get the latest firmware? According to Luna the controllers currently being shipped from Bafang no longer have the issue with the non-progressive throttle while peddling. Luna has been gracious enough to offer to upgrade the firmware for me if I send them my controller. That's totally worth it of course, but I'd rather not go through the hassle of removing it and all the wiring from my bike if I can do the upgrade with my computer here at home.

No one so far has shared.

Hi Chaps,
I had this issue on two bikes and posted a YouTube video about this for the factory.
Sorry to say its not a firmware issue, but reading between the lines its a controller fault, though you will not get the factory to admit it.

Luna cycles in the USA says somewhere in their latest BBSHD product description that the BBSHDs they are selling do not suffer from the throttle /pedaling cut out fault, so Luna's buying power got the Bafang factory to fix it.

I tried getting a fix from the seller in China and they gave me all sorts of BS, even saying it was to protect the motor, which as you can imagine is exactly the opposite.
I can say, unless the Banfag factory are stupid, the Firmware of the good and bad controllers is identical, I have checked both and also copied working parameters to the faulty controller to see if that fixes it, it does not.

The way I sorted it was to permanently disable the PAS function by removing the magnets from internal crank sensor pick-up, a sledge hammer fix, but I absolutely must have a throttle as it fundamental to how I ride.

The only real fix I know of is to change the controller for a good / known working one and that's the challenge - how do you know other than to test it, because you cannot tell by checking the firmware revision, as it was the same on all my units - that is both settings & Firmware revision is the same.

An even easier way to get the same result as disconnecting the cadence sensor:

PAS 0 - I=100%, S= 0%
PAS 1 - I= 50%, S= 72%
PAS 2 - I= 71%, S= 72%
PAS 3 - I=100%, S=100%

PAS designated assist level = 0
Throttle designated assist level = By Display's Command

I have do it twice. Is easier than looks.
You will find several website with this information.
Try to save your firmare before flashing.

Give a look at the OpenSource firmware for the BBSHD, seems the main developer already has a working version: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102148

This may be slightly off topic for this thread, but the BBS02 has also suffered from the throttle/PAS dominance change that Bafang made in 2017. This thread both explains the problem and gives some non-firmware solutions:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=111469

Back