Trek full suspension with BBS02

EVan

10 W
Hi all,
I bought a BBBS02 to install on my old Trek VRX 400 after reading about them here. I previously had a 9C hub and Lyen controller on it, but the 9C seized due to water ingress. The 9C wasn't suited for crawling up steep hills anyway, which is what I hope to do now.

Parts arrived yesterday so I jumped right in and got the motor fitted. This involved slight frame surgery.

I have one question about the kit wiring, which didn't come with a diagram and I can't find info online. The battery cable and connection up to the handlebar controls/display is self explanatory. I have the speed sensor connected. But there are two "extra" wires coming from the motor - one with a yellow quick connector and one with two small faston type connectors. I can't think what these would be for, or if they are needed?

IMG_0644.JPG

OK, I think I understand now. The 3 pin quick connector is for a gear sensor. This isn't supplied with the kit and from what I can gather, they are an expensive and not very useful accessory. https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/03/21/is-the-gearsensor-a-total-waste-of-money-or-a-must-have/

The other wire is apparently 6V output for a headlight.

Anyway I will post some pics and experience with the kit once it's running.

Got this finished with help from my brother who owns a bike shop. The remaining components were picked out of out of the junk pile...

The battery is two Zippy 6S 10AH packs. I intended to put these in a seat post bag but haven't got one yet, so used an old camera bag zip tied to the handlebars for now.

Really pleased with how well the BBS02 works, and how quiet. The hill with soft ground, mud and snow which I normally have to push up was tackled no sweat with assist 5 and 1st gear, spun and got sideways a few times but never lost momentum. Motor was warm to touch at the top, wiring and batteries were still cold.
No trouble at all with changing gears under load (I only have 6), and didn't break anything or blow up the controller first time out, all of which I was worrying about after reading too much :twisted:

I still have the default programming and probably will adjust it a bit. assist 6 is about as fast as I can pedal, so I'm thinking of setting 7 and 8 to the same speed but more current, and then 9 wide open for throttle only fun.

IMG_0661 (1).JPG

Back