Cyclone 3000W Vs. LR Big-Block single stage

SwampDonkey

100 W
Has anyone owned both? How do they compare as far as power and reliability/durability?

Thanks guys!
-Donk

I like the cyclone for having the internal planetary gears. This takes care of one step of reduction. Not the answer to your question but I thought I’d bring that up. Can’t beat the price either. I’ve not tried both.

I have both. The LR Big Block is definitely noiser. It also came with a 60amp(55) controller vs the 40A on the Cyclone. Haven't tried the 60A on the Cyclone. I honestly love both, more power with the LR, more stealth with the Cyclone. If I had to pick one, I'd get the Cyclone. Much cheaper, similar performance. Another thing, the LRBB mounting plates run so close to the chainrings that a dropped chain can be a headache or damaging (depending on the frame/install) The Cyclone has plenty of room, so it's usually no problem to pop it back on.

Re: Cyclone 3000W Vs. LR Big-Block single stage
Report this post
Quote
Unread post by xnoitulos » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:42 pm

I have both. The LR Big Block is definitely noiser. It also came with a 60amp(55) controller vs the 40A on the Cyclone. Haven't tried the 60A on the Cyclone. I honestly love both, more power with the LR, more stealth with the Cyclone. If I had to pick one, I'd get the Cyclone. Much cheaper, similar performance. Another thing, the LRBB mounting plates run so close to the chainrings that a dropped chain can be a headache or damaging (depending on the frame/install) The Cyclone has plenty of room, so it's usually no problem to pop it back on.

yep agreed from what I have seen on here the c3000w is a lot more popular, quieter smaller lighter and more compact, their is a reason nearly all high power mid drives run a gearbox or high reduction to the cranks ! and that is brushless motors are more efficient at HIGH RPM and not LOW RPM high load situations.

So basically to counteract this bad efficiency design aspect it seems they have gone to a bigger heavier BIG block motor vs the small block motor so it doesn't overheat.

But for me that's just cheap an nasty bad design hiding your bad efficiency design. And I have heard the only way that it still works is current limiting down low. otherwise the big block would also toast itself.

I have seen AFT build were they even run the c3000w at 5kw peaks :
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=87658

xnoitulos said:

Why is the big-block noisier? I thought it lacked a gearbox. I was considering the SSBB over the C3000W because I imagined it would be quieter and more efficient

SwampDonkey said:
xnoitulos said:

Why is the big-block noisier? I thought it lacked a gearbox. I was considering the SSBB over the C3000W because I imagined it would be quieter and more efficient

The noise is mainly from the small 12t front sprocket that is needed to get enough reduction from the single stage. I have the small block single stage and it is somewhat loud compared to my Cyclone 3k. Not crazy loud, but louder than the cyclone.

I once had the LRSB and Cyclone3000 concurrently. The small 219 chain motor pulley wore fast and soon skipped or needed adjustment. The LR motor had a persistent whine that you often note in the videos.

The Gates belt which was brand new tore on my first try at a serious hill climb. Servicing the motor on the SB for items such as Hall transistors and temp sensors requires removing the the jack axle frame and in general service work takes on it takes more time.

The Cyclone 60 amp controller allows the use of 1.5 X the amperage that the Cyclone 3000 used with the 40 amp controller. Think of that 60 amp controlled motor as the Cyclone 4500.

Ask yourself, who wants the extra external? gear reduction you will need with the LRBB? NOISE?...

Once you get the LR motor you will learn the pleasantries of dealing with the man himself --- Mr. Lightening Rod...

Back