BBS02B ESC amp limit

takis8vas

1 mW
Hey everyone (im new here) ,i have a Bafang BBS02B which i've killed the controller (maybe cause it was programmed to 25 with 58.8v 14s battery but anyway) and im up to a ESC i can draw more amps than the original controller. I found one Flier "E-bike" controller 22s 400A so it can be reliable and future-proof my problem is that it does NOT have any current limiter , ive measured the resistance and the motor can draw up to 200amps . My battery cannot produce more than 70 and the motor wont last a hour with that kind of power . So i want to limit the amp in the esc (in the battery side mostly to be safe) does anyone have any idea ? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3154.PNG
    IMG_3154.PNG
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,562
  • IMG_3155zzz.jpg
    IMG_3155zzz.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 1,562
I wouldn't recommend pushing more than 25A through the BBS02, and even at that you need to be careful about applying it at low RPM, there's gears and clutches inside that will not like being subjected to high torque levels.

After replacing my controller twice, I replaced it with a 25A Grinfineon.

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/controllers/c4825-gr.html

It's sinewave, very quiet and smooth, reasonably good throttle control, and cheaper than the ESC you listed above. They also have a 35A version if you're looking for a bit more performance, that's probably about as far as I'd dare push a BBS02.

One possible solution would be to use a CA3 to limit the current. The CA measures the battery current and controls the throttle signal to keep it below the programmed limit. With an ESC, it might be challenging to get all the CA parameters dialed in so it doesn't oscillate.

Any controller that is using a servo signal input has an inherent latency (delay) in the response that makes a feedback loop hard to control. With the PID loop in the CA, it should be possible if all the loop parameters are set properly, but this takes some trial and error.

dustNbone said:
I wouldn't recommend pushing more than 25A through the BBS02, and even at that you need to be careful about applying it at low RPM, there's gears and clutches inside that will not like being subjected to high torque levels.

After replacing my controller twice, I replaced it with a 25A Grinfineon.

http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/controllers/c4825-gr.html

It's sinewave, very quiet and smooth, reasonably good throttle control, and cheaper than the ESC you listed above. They also have a 35A version if you're looking for a bit more performance, that's probably about as far as I'd dare push a BBS02.

Im using 52volt battery (14s 58.8v) so the controller you send me will not work plus i want something small and powerful . I was curious if BBSHD controller fits in the bbs02b place

Attachments

• Screenshot_641.png
    Screenshot_641.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,349
  • Screenshot_640.png
    Screenshot_640.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,535
fechter said:
One possible solution would be to use a CA3 to limit the current. The CA measures the battery current and controls the throttle signal to keep it below the programmed limit. With an ESC, it might be challenging to get all the CA parameters dialed in so it doesn't oscillate.

Any controller that is using a servo signal input has an inherent latency (delay) in the response that makes a feedback loop hard to control. With the PID loop in the CA, it should be possible if all the loop parameters are set properly, but this takes some trial and error.

The BMS im waiting has a cut of at 60amps which it will be nice but i dont know if it will harm the BMS .

takis8vas said:
Im using 52volt battery (14s 58.8v) so the controller you send me will not work plus i want something small and powerful . I was curious if BBSHD controller fits in the bbs02b place

No. BBSHD is slightly larger and won't fit.

On another bike I have a controller from Powervelocity and I like it very much. The smallest 6 FET size would be enough for a BBS02. The current limit on these is programmable. I don't know if anyone has ever tried one with a Bafang motor before, but I don't see any reason why it won't work. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=75888

takis8vas said:

I run a 16S LifePO4 pack and a 14S 18650 pack on mine, 60V is fine. The BBSHD controller won't fit on the BBS02.

dustNbone said:
takis8vas said:

I run a 16S LifePO4 pack and a 14S 18650 pack on mine, 60V is fine. The BBSHD controller won't fit on the BBS02.

As I said before putting more than 35A into the BBS02 will probably destroy it.

Im waiting for an answer from bafang so i can be 100% sure that it does not fit ,another cheap and easy idea is to buy a bbs02b controller at 80$ but im gonna have an error 30 the way im using it (25amps 100% throttle and 58v).i will likely not compromise with a big ebike controller :/

Back