New SS chainring, irregularities in teeth, will it prematurely wear my chain?

12-C

100 W
I ordered a high strength ss chain ring for my tangent 6kw mid drive.

Now that it's arrived and after inspection I found several teeth that have irregularities.

My concern is that since the chainring is the most wear resistant component and since it has irregularities it will accelerate the wear of the chain.... Anyone agree with that logic?

I'm just wondering if I should use it or try and get the manufacturer to replace it. The trouble is that I ordered it from the other side of Canada....

Attachments

• chuckring close up 1.jpg
    chuckring close up 1.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 509
  • chuckring close up 2.jpg
    chuckring close up 2.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 509
  • chuckring.jpg
    chuckring.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 509
That looks like it was cut on a waterjet. When the water bounces back off the support slats that the sheetmetal is sitting on it will cut little gouges like that. The damage at the very bottom of the root is concerning to me. If the ring moved during the cutting process the beginning and end wont meet and it will look just like that.

I'd contact them and see if that is typical quality of their product or if it is a mistake. I'd probably send it back and hope you can talk them into paying shipping. I think sprockets should be machined rather than waterjet cut or lasered.

If it was aluminum it might smash down to the profile of the chain roller but stainless will not be as forgiving.

To answer your question about it wearing the chain: probably not but I'd expect it to sound bad and shake if its out of round considering the rpm is already going to be higher than average for a bike part.

Back