E Bike tires

This 20"er came off a small folding bike and does feel a bit thicker than a regular tyre.
I've never used it and can't seem to find out much about them online so can't attest to it's quality.

It does look a bit like the "ebike" bit has been tacked on as an afterthought marketing ploy. (no kenda flame on the right)

But they do exist. Apparently.

Ykick said:
CST Ciudad makes a nice 700c “city” tire. Supposedly kevlar and my coworker reports holding up great on his 45lb eBike.

All this Kevlar business, I dunno? Seems like an awful lot of “sales engineering”. I’ve had dozens of flats on motos & bicycles. Yep, I’ve used Marathons and Big Apples and no measurable improvement.

It seems that given the right angle, a somewhat sharp solid object will always find a way to puncture/damage a tire. Kevlar be damned.

The CST Ciudad is a good example of a moderately armored tire using multiple prevention measures. It has an aramid (Kevlar) textile belt, plus an elastomer breaker belt probably made of urethane rubber. I have used this model in both 32mm and 42mm sizes, and it's a good utility tire. I expected it to be a faster tire based on its tread pattern, but its generous puncture protection makes it a relatively slow tire. Its modest drag should not prove to be a problem for any e-bike, though.

A Kevlar or other textile belt offers good protection against tearing of the casing, but it's a woven material. Its usefulness is limited against finely pointed objects like wires, thorns, and glass slivers, which can simply pass through gaps in the weave. I have observed damage to my Big Apples from objects that sliced away a flap of rubber all the way down to the casing, but failed to breach the Kevlar belt.

A rubber breaker belt uses a different approach that offers protection against small sharp objects that might be able to pass through a textile belt. First, it simply thickens the tire's wall, so a foreign object must be longer to reach the tube. Second, it's not made to provide grip like tread rubber, so it tends to eject penetrating objects rather than holding onto them like tread rubber does.

Some breaker belts, like those in the Ciudad, are relatively thin and hard, like Mr Tuffys. Others, like those in the CST Salvo or Schwalbe Marathon Plus, are composed of thicker, softer rubber for increased protection. They all add weight and harm ride quality to some degree, but they're much more effective and convenient than similar belts applied inside the tire as an add-on.

Tires like the Maxxis Hookworm and CST Cyclops resist punctures by virtue of their thick and robust construction. They have no additional puncture-specific protective measures built in.

Tire bargains
Great price on reasonable quality Kevlar belted tires - price varies but often with "sale" prices

$12.51 w/free shipping on $35 order (11/06/15)
Great Kevlar belted multi purpose tread - Schwinn (Innova)

+2 or +3 or whatever for the hookworms. I run thin tubes no slime right now since that's what I had laying around. Ran over a bush creeping out on the trail full of goatheads the other day, and picked up 6 or 7 at least. The fender knocked many of them off before I could stop, but I stopped and pulled some whole goatheads out too, then the spines left behind by the knocked off ones. No leaks front or rear....I am impressed.

striider said:
+2 or +3 or whatever for the hookworms. I run thin tubes no slime right now since that's what I had laying around. Ran over a bush creeping out on the trail full of goatheads the other day, and picked up 6 or 7 at least. The fender knocked many of them off before I could stop, but I stopped and pulled some whole goatheads out too, then the spines left behind by the knocked off ones. No leaks front or rear....I am impressed.

Pedicabbers here get similarly impressive results in their glass-strewn curb lanes and alleyways. Hookworm is heavy and a little expensive, but it's surprisingly fast, very tough and long-wearing. I'm looking forward to trying out the 29 x 2.5" size for myself.

Right now I'm using the 29" Maxxis Grifter, which is the same size but much thinner and lighter. So far so good. For an e-bike, I don't think there's any question that the Hookworm would be a better choice most of the time.

I bought a pair of Continental E Contact tires to try on my fast country road commuter build.
http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tyres/city-trekking-tyres/e-contact

The two best ebike tires I have found for commuting:
Maxxis Hookworm 2.5
Schwalbe Big Apple 2.35

The hookworms handle better and are stickier, but the Big Apple has a softer ride.

For a fast commuter bike build there are also the Kenda Kwick Tendril Endurance
http://bicycle.kendatire.com/en-us/find-a-tire/bicycle/endurance/kwick-tendril-endurance/
and you can still get the old faithful Kenda Kwest K Shield.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/kenda-k193-kwest-k-shield-26-inch-road-tire
Conti Winter tires.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/continental-top-contact-winter-ii-26-inch-tire

ES Bible "Search found 37 matches: +Continental +"E Contact" +tire".

Seen here:
http://lakeside-bikes.com/product/continental-e.contact-26-inch-181873-1.htm#.WQU1O9y1u1g

Continental E.Contact (26-inch)

Electric bikes, with their extra weight, power and fast speeds, demand a lot from tires, so Continental makes the E.Contact. Its long-wearing tread and sturdy casing ensure excellent performance and mileage. Plus, it boasts Continental's Eco50 Breaker puncture protection and reflective sidewalls for safety.

continental-e.contact-26-inch-181873-1.jpg

... and
Sorry, this item is currently not available. Please visit our store or, for more detailed information, contact us at info@lakeside-bikes.com or (503)699-8665. Our hours are 10-7 M-F, 10-6 Sat, 12-5 Sun Pacific Time.

From Lakeside Bikes:
LBlogo2clearblackwhite.png

...in Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA.
http://lakeside-bikes.com/

^^ OH... Great Find! ... You horny, mad Rhino Guy... Merci!

Back