• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

My newest Project!! Vintage J.C. Higgins 3 Speed conversion!

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Well, I never thought I'd see the day, but once I got dad interested in getting it fixed up and ride-able, low and behold, he's actually wanting to sell it! (I'd kinda want to keep it for myself personally, but anything is better than letting it collect dust in the garage.) :wink:

39656352528_large.jpg

39656352532_large.jpg

39656352542_large.jpg

39656352570_large.jpg

39656352579_large.jpg

39656352613_large.jpg

39656352623_large.jpg

39656352628_large.jpg

I'm planning on doing a complete over-haul including a fresh coat of paint, and adding some white pin-stripe to the chain guard.

It's really sad that one of the neatest features, the front chain ring that has "JC HIGGINS" in it completely hidden from view. I'd be tempted to make it more open so you can see those letters from an opening in the chain ring.

I like how it has oil pots on the BB and the rear hub, and it's fitting that this bike was "fast" in it's day since it had 3 speeds when most had just one, and soon after this bike, the 10 speeds became available, but still the hub shifts like it was new! :shock: :mrgreen:

I'm still going to go inside and make sure something isn't needing grease.

I'm thinking of one of the leather "tube bags" that go behind the seat? Well I want to put one on the handlebars and if requested I might put a turnigy watt meter & wiring in the front pack with a flap that covers it when not in use.

Gonna take a bit, but it's worth it! 8) Becides we can use the money when he sells it to fix the truck. :lol:

shes a beauty!! those bikes are great.i have a few myself.

If you plan on selling it I would not paint it. It is worth much more with original paint. Cool bike.

torker said:
If you plan on selling it I would not paint it. It is worth much more with original paint. Cool bike.

Define "original" :p There is red paint under the green paint and both are flaking off, dad painted it green back in the 60's when he got it.

What's a good site to check? I haven't found anything to give an idea of the value other than Ebay, and most of the J.C. Higgins there are much fancier, and are going for anywhere from $200 - $600, but I can't identify this model.

I'd really like to have the seat re-done, but I fear that it might be way more expensive than it's worth, if I were keeping it I wouldn't mind, but I'm going to go in 50/50 with dad (I'm buying the electrics) and my share will go to the K-Drive fund! :D

I wouldn't mind just selling it as it is cleaned up with fresh tubes (not even the original tires are cracked!!) but I'm afraid it isn't as collectible as other JC Higgins' and I already met up with a older gent at Harbor Freight that is interested, and gave me his business card (he silk screens hats and T-Shirts) I'm thinking I'll get more out of it electrified. 8)

Oh ok If it has already been painted then moot point. The actual collectors want factory paint, fading and all. I see a lot of bikes on Craigslist and they go for 50-200 dollars depending on how rare/complete etc. Boys bikes are worth more cause boys will be boys and less survived. :mrgreen:

Lessss said:
I want to see someone electrify a Penny-Farthing!!

Hell yes!! that would be sweet!! :twisted: :lol:

I'm going to use flexible metal electrical conduit and "test tube" looking lights to dress it up for sort of a "steam punk" or "Jules Verne" look. Maybe I can get them to show battery capacity by lighting up a percentage of the lights to indicate charge! 8)

+1 on no re-paint. Do as you wish, but personally I like the classic vehicle "patina" that original paint becomes. Lots of newer bikes around with no character that can be chopped, welded, hacked, painted...and nobody would ever care.

Perhaps clean and buff some of the scratches out, but once its as good as it can get, perhaps seal it with a UV resistant clear-coat? Just a thought...

Ok, I'm fine with no re-paint, I have heard enough people say not to paint, so now, I need to come up with some in-expensive ways to decorate it with 60's electronics components.

I envision using old weathered veneer to build a box around my 53V Dewalt battery pack, and topping that wooden box with small "substation" style bakelite cone shaped insulators and using flexible metal conduit for wiring to give it that "Jules Verne/Nicola Tesla" look.

I have tons of old weathered wood and electronics that we need to scrap anyway, so hopefully I can do this with-out buying anything, but if I do, it will just be insulators cheap if I can find any.

Any ideas where to look? I'm really wanting to stick with 60's no clear green glass insulators from the 19th century, but something with definite age and patina.

Back