Show Us Your Homemade Battery Housing

d8veh said:
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this one because it's not quite home-made, but it shows what's coming for us in a few years when prices come down. This one was printed from a large 3-D printer. The quality was superb. There was no sign of the normal layering. It must have had a very high resolution:

Can you please provide the link for this product ??
Cheers.
I am looking for decent fascia / cover for batteries but can never seem to find one just right.
Yours looks great but you said you got it 3D plotted. That sounds futuristic ! I live in Western Australia with a small population and unlikely to have such a service here. Any tips or places i could get this done and sent to me ?
How does the on off button fair / where did you source it?
Looks great

teslanv said:
Getting this prototype padded battery saddle bag made:

Intended to fit (12) 4S -5Ah hardcase LiPo Packs for nearly 1kWh

Good job on the layout. Skills.

Who are you having make that?

Duct tape is the best.

VJTPfyZ.jpg

Mine is incredibly simple. I mounted some L-brackets to a 11" piece of wood, and then I mounted it to the water bottle holder. I used a counter sink drill bit so that the bolt heads were recessed into the wood.

20140711_140305.jpg

The battery itself goes inside of a CD case! It works great, but I plan on upgrading it a little bit so that the battery case is a little more weather proofed and has a few handles. I may eventually construct an aluminum housing with a lock on it so that I can leave it attached to the bike.

20140711_140215.jpg

I bought a sheet metal bender + metal cutter plus duct tape...

This is from my build thread here : http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58691

14S3P - 17400mAH and under 6kg.
14S3P_17400mAh.jpg

evBike_Cleanup01_Hide_rubber.jpg

Not much to make, more like assembled. Very simple.

SAM_0994.jpg

Welding rod holder in large water bottle carrier.
Holds up to 2 Turnigy 6S, 5000mAH, 20C.
Wires exit thru bottom and pass thru frame bag on way to controller up front;

SAM_0995.jpg

Split off a pair of 4 mm bullets for charging or connecting to main pack w\ jumpers.

SAM_0996.jpg

Extended bottom battery balance connector for cell checking\balancing.

I used the 2 front friction shifter brackets on the front down tube of an 80s road bike and brazed a second set on the back down tube.
2 aluminium angle lengths cut and fitted to bolt onto the friction shifter mounts.
2 x 5s 8ah Lipo batteries fit inside the 2 angles held in with tape.
a Plastic project box holds all the connectors and the balance charge plug.
Sorry I didn't get any pictures during construction but if I need to disassemble it i take some will.
The idea was to keep it simple, light weight and stream lined.

Attachments

• balance lead 17.jpg
    balance lead 17.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 4,753
  • yellow 3.jpg
    yellow 3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 4,753
  • yellow volt meter.jpg
    yellow volt meter.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 4,753
  • Aero Spoke 1.jpg
    Aero Spoke 1.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 4,753
Modbikemax said:
I used the 2 front friction shifter brackets on the front down tube of an 80s road bike and brazed a second set on the back down tube.
2 aluminium angle lengths cut and fitted to bolt onto the friction shifter mounts.
2 x 5s 8ah Lipo batteries fit inside the 2 angles held in with tape.
a Plastic project box holds all the connectors and the balance charge plug.
Sorry I didn't get any pictures during construction but if I need to disassemble it i take some will.
The idea was to keep it simple, light weight and stream lined.

I like this- please don't take offence- apart from the bid red/yellow checkered pattern. It will draw everyones attention including thieves and police, the first bike you see when parked with other bikes. It's just not my taste, I'd go for matching the rest of the bike. Is the multi pin amphenol socket for charging?

HOlds (12) 4S HobbyKing Hard Case Packs, for a total of 888Whrs. I call it the "Kilowatt Bag"

Thinking I might contract out a few to be made locally, if you guys are interested. No firm pricing yet, but I am hoping to keep it around $100 or so to produce in small custom batches.

KWB1.jpg
KWB2.jpg
KWB3.jpg
KWB4.jpg
View attachment 7
KWB6.jpg
View attachment 5
KWB8.jpg
KWB9.jpg
KWB10.jpg
KWB11.jpg
KWB12.jpg

I converted this bike for a disabled guy, who can't pedal very well. The frame triangle is very small, so I needed a customer cell-pack, which was provided by Schwibsi. It's about 15aH 48V (12S7P Sony V3) I got the BMS from Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221214772066?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is my first attempt at GRP, but it came out OK apart from the crooked charge socket, which Is not symmetrical and I marked it out from the wrong side.

One soide of the case is fixed to the bike; the other is removable. I glued and screwed some 6 mm softwood to the first side to be able to join the two halves.

Click on the photos to see them complete on Photobucket. I don't have time to resize them.

Made from a stainless steel light bollard,28mm motorcycle risers for the clamps and a multi pin balance socket.
Holds 2x 5s 8ah turnigy batteries.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 4,395
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 4,394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 4,394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 4,394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 4,394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 4,394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 4,394
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 4,395
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 1,692
modbikemax,

Battery: Elegant, beautiful, stealth! Wonderful!

Controller: Not so much! :D

ambroseliao said:
modbikemax,

Battery: Elegant, beautiful, stealth! Wonderful!

Controller: Not so much! :D

I'm working on the controller. I just can't see anywhere else to put it. I like to keep the cables short and all the phase and hall wires are soldered. It's also out of line of any water comming off the wheel. Technically it's the best place for it. Ideally the controller would be inside the hub. Like this one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 4,363
You could put a big retro style "headlight" on the fork crown, and have the controller board inside it. At the very front of it would be an actual headlight, but it wouldn't take up all that space. :)

amberwolf said:
You could put a big retro style "headlight" on the fork crown, and have the controller board inside it. At the very front of it would be an actual headlight, but it wouldn't take up all that space. :)

I did think of that but I didn't like it much. I am thinking along the lines of a slim minimalist controller you won't notice.
I have a prototype. I'll let you know how I get on.
I like a challenge rather than just take the obvious route and maybe something innovative will emerge, or maybe just shit.
But you won't know until you try.

There are a few very small controllers meant for stealth.

I have one of the old Crystalyte controllers that's a little wider than your downtube (it's not very powerful, but that's not the point of the bike you're building, anyway. :)

Back