I will never buy from BMSBattery again.

bikeonfire

10 mW
I've never had a worse customer experience in my life, hands down.

Their tech support doesn't know the first thing about what they sell. I've spoken with 4 different reps and they were all clueless.

They say they have items in stock but when you order them it takes weeks to put your order together.

They throw extra shipping charges at you AFTER you've already paid an agreed to price and have waited a couple more weeks and are now pulling out your hair from the frustration.

Days are spent doing "quality control" but then my hub is sent with pieces missing and they have zero idea how to help you.

They send false tracking numbers that refer to nothing, saying they've shipped, then days later a real tracking number comes and it turns out it was not in fact shipped days ago.

They package things horribly. A bunch of purposefully smashed up foam that gets in everything and everywhere. The parts are jumbled together. Ends are on wires that need to be off in order to thread washers over.

I haven't even gotten to see if what they sent is faulty. It's been almost two months of bullshit and runaround. Over a $1000 later and who knows if it's all going to work. Still waiting, waiting, waiting on parts.

Horrible company. Look elsewhere.

Sorry about your BMSB experience, It really sucks. Be patient, hopefully your stuff will be here before the winter kicks in. If you paid with paypal you can always file a claim. You can even threaten bmsb that you will file a paypal claim. That usually gets them to ship faster.
bikeonfire said:
Getting what I paid for would be one thing. NOT getting what I paid for is another.

bikeonfire said:
I've never had a worse customer experience in my life, hands down.

Their tech support doesn't know the first thing about what they sell. I've spoken with 4 different reps and they were all clueless.

They say they have items in stock but when you order them it takes weeks to put your order together.

They throw extra shipping charges at you AFTER you've already paid an agreed to price and have waited a couple more weeks and are now pulling out your hair from the frustration.

Days are spent doing "quality control" but then my hub is sent with pieces missing and they have zero idea how to help you.

They send false tracking numbers that refer to nothing, saying they've shipped, then days later a real tracking number comes and it turns out it was not in fact shipped days ago.

They package things horribly. A bunch of purposefully smashed up foam that gets in everything and everywhere. The parts are jumbled together. Ends are on wires that need to be off in order to thread washers over.

I haven't even gotten to see if what they sent is faulty. It's been almost two months of bullshit and runaround. Over a $1000 later and who knows if it's all going to work. Still waiting, waiting, waiting on parts.

Horrible company. Look elsewhere.

Here's a few guidelines that might help others:

They do have reasonable technical knowledge about what they're selling, but their English is not very good. The problem is more in understanding the question. When asking questions, use very simple short sentences.

It normally takes two weeks to ship an order that includes a battery or wheel. Components are normally shipped immediately.

Extra shipping charges are a real nuisance. If you hold out without paying them, they'll ship anyway. It must be difficult to calculate the shipping cost automatically, when you have large items like wheels and dangerous items like batteries. Maybe they're trying to strike a balance between keeping the estimate down and over-charging.

The "missing" hub parts are normally in a small plastic bag somewhere else. Often in a cardboard carton with other small items.

The tracking numbers that they give are for Chinese post. You won't be able to track them until they clear customs in your own country, when maybe a new tracking number is issued. When they say it's despatched, the stuff normally arrives at your door surprisingly soon after, but occasionally, especially if you have a battery, it can get delayed in customs. Maybe a battery looks like a stash of drugs.

I'm now past 25 orders with them and about to place my 26th to build a bike for a guy on the UK forum, and no, they don't give me any special discounts. For my last order, I checked against Greenbikekit, but the shipping cost was the same, and they also increase the shipping cost at the time of despatch

I don't understand why people still buy from BMS battery when there are better options out there.

Exactly! You can get good service, you just need to know exactly what you want, then you need to know what to expect. search bmsbattery on this forum and you will see alot of success and alot of failure. I personally have had alot of success like d8veh. My orders with them total around 15.
If you don't live in the Americas then this is a good option because In Europe we have to pay heavy shipping fees from the US and heavy import fee. Atleast the BMS stuff is cheap enough to offset the cost.
tahustvedt said:
Sounds ike a place you don't buy from if you don't know what you need.

Had around 10 orders with them now, wouldn't hesitate to use them again tbh.

I had a charger blow up when I first plugged it in, a month later and a fair few emails a new one arrived at my door.

The last transaction was faultless, ordered and was delivered just over 2 weeks later.

If you expect to wait two months and get no customer service then you should be alright. Although they do have a high failure rate still, the prices do cover this.

I just asked them if they sell motors with speed sensors. They said yes. So I asked which, they said the Q series and bafangs. I replied the Q75 Q85 Q100 Q100H and Q128 didn't say this, and my recently delivered Bafang doesn't. Which of the motors have it. No reply.

In a previous mail I asked what a certain battery weighed. They said it weighs about the same as the others. However the whole particular range lists no weight.

The s12s controller just physically grew in size, but they give both new and old dimensions in the same listing which can't be right. Like the afore mentioned battery, listed as both 20A continuous and as 10A continuous.

It's not that they have bad English.

They also offer no warranty, so if they do send the wrong motor or battery you are stuck with it.

I still use them though. They are cheap and seem to get it right 90% of the time. Though over my 4 orders I'm yet to reach 90% accuracy. Mainly through the very poor customer service and inaccurate listings.

I've ordered 400W charger - got requested voltage correct and still working for nearly a year. Past 6 months ordered 2qty loose Q128H motors on separate occasions with no troubles. I don't believe they intentionally screw buyers but language is a HUGE barrier in the event of complicated questions and/or service after the sale.

My BMS Battery strategy is to only order "stupid simple" items that "should" be able to survive sub-standard packaging and in the event of a problem/defect, I'm willing to write off the $$$. Sadly, that's how I workaround many of the pitfalls presented here.

BTW, if I need a battery pack from China = EM3EV.

Jason27 said:
I don't understand why people still buy from BMS battery when there are better options out there.

I understand why. It's because they have good quality and the best prices.

Like d8veh, I'm also in my 20 something order now. I get no special discounts but I've only ever had 2 problems over all those orders.

I get that OP is pissed and his anger is understandable. Anybody who is used to western standards will be taken aback by BMSbattery's service. But at the end of the day (or end of the month) you get your parts and 95% of the time it's all perfect. For the 5% of the time it's not perfect, I can deal with it because of the much better price. I can make 3 or 4 of EBK's 1,000 watt kits from BMSbattery parts for the same price. That's huge. 3 or 4 kits for the price of one.

And one last thing, people often try talk crap about BMSbattery's quality. I've got tens of thousands of miles on their products and only ever wore out one geared motor so far. I've got a 48v battery that's still putting out over the rated capacity after 18 months.

They sell good stuff. They just suck at providing western service. Makes sense since they aren't a western company.

friendly1uk said:
I just asked them if they sell motors with speed sensors. They said yes. So I asked which, they said the Q series and bafangs. I replied the Q75 Q85 Q100 Q100H and Q128 didn't say this, and my recently delivered Bafang doesn't. Which of the motors have it. No reply.

That's exactly the point I was making about use of English. I bought several motors with speed sensors. These are the sensors I bought with them:
http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/550-s-led770-e-bike-led-meter.html

An English person could make that mistake. If you meet these guys, you'll realise how difficult it is for them. I had to use an interpreter to ask simple questions.

i have seen them replace or refund for chargers that they sold which had failed on initial use. i repaired one and use it still.

they are resellers, not manufacturers. they have to order the parts you want from the manufacturer if they don't have stock so they are most likely piling all the things together into one order from the manufacturer for the various orders they get online for which they don't have stock. so then they are subject to the delivery schedule of the manufacturer there in china before they can ship it out to you.

it really is too bad they don't have access to faster surface shipping to manage the cost of shipping stuff. shipping batteries by surface is so much cheaper than air freight with lithium restrictions it can save $100 off the cost of a battery, and the big chargers weigh a ton and cost a fortune to airfreight.

d8veh said:
friendly1uk said:

That's exactly the point I was making about use of English. I bought several motors with speed sensors. These are the sensors I bought with them:
http://www.bmsbattery.com/controller/550-s-led770-e-bike-led-meter.html

An English person could make that mistake. If you meet these guys, you'll realise how difficult it is for them. I had to use an interpreter to ask simple questions.

Hi Dave
My last post was not quite the story. We first spoke about the 48v bottle with 20A sine. Clarifying the incorrect 10A listing, then asking the weight in a following mail. I was specific, asking the weight of the 11.6Ah 48v Bottle battery with internal 20A sinewave controller. The answer saying it weighs like the others shows she knew the question, but had no real idea what information is available on the website. I think the incorrect 10A listing should of been changed and the add checked the moment it came to light. We know on the pedelecs forum buyers have paused in their tracks having read that very specification. In reality I expect the add won't be changed.

This put me on the right page with them, when I noticed the fact it needs a motor with speed sensor. This succession of events told her I needed a motor for this pack, but i also laid it out, rather than leading to a chance possibility I had changed the subject.

I think your saying that it's fine to order a motor with a speed sensor. Both can share the same parcel. She knew a bit more about the situation though.

I'm actually still clueless. Thinking I can get a couple of 8 magnet pas rings, to take the magnets out and glue all 16 to the motor. Then put the pas pickup on a chain stay. Or maybe put a number of spoke magnets on a sensored wheel, using the wheel size modifier to accommodate. If such a thing exists. It's all a bit silly though. I think I read yourself saying the tacho would still work under power, but not freewheeling, but I can't find the post again. That would do for me, but not who the build is for.

If bmsbattery get this next order right I will alter my signature. I'm still unhappy about it all, but I was told of the risks and can accommodate for them now I'm stockpiling.

You don't need to go to all that trouble. There will be a setting in the LCD for the number of magnets in the speed sensor. You set it to one, then use a normal wheel-speed sensor and magnet. You then run the signal wire to wherever the white wire on the motor cable goes to. That's the worst situation. When you get the stuff, there may be an easier solution.

I wouldn't be surprised if pole count was a setting. A setting that might go as low as 3. I will have to have a look at some ldc-3 instructions. 3 spoke magnets is a fix I would be happy with.

Unfortunately it's not my money so I can't go ahead on a hunch. BMSB say I can't use an external sensor, it must be internal. If I ignore that I'm not sure how I would explain myself.

I do have an s12s sat here that could save the day, but it's to big to be taken seriously. Only being suitable for a rear carrier build or frankenstein bike. I'm swaying between the 48v panasonic box with 20A sine($380)Or the $200 10ah pack using the impossibly large s12s I already have.

I have found a nice bag for the s12s http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waterproof-Cycling-Bicycle-Bike-Triangular-Frame-Front-Tube-Saddle-Bag-Black-New-/330793756229?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item4d04d82645
Just £2.99 and I can U-bolt the controller to the frame (straight through the bag) and pop in some jumbo eyelets for cable routing. It's not the clean install he wants though.

I'm surprised I can't find one in use.

Cheers
Richard

Edit: I have invented a story that makes sense. The controller uses the motors halls. This will work for direct drive, but not for geared motors when freewheeling. I can't do anything about it, because there is no speed sensor wire to play about with.
I will buy one I think. Useless as it seems, we need to know.

BMSB have a top selling list. Top of the shop is spokes, as many people buy 36 or even 72 of them with an order. Below which is 'extra shipping charges' as the next most popular sale item.

Our eshop can calculate shipping cost automatically before you check out
Yes is can, but does it? lol

friendly1uk said:
BMSB have a top selling list. Top of the shop is spokes, as many people buy 36 or even 72 of them with an order. Below which is 'extra shipping charges' as the next most popular sale item.

Our eshop can calculate shipping cost automatically before you check out
Yes is can, but does it? lol

aww man, you used such sound logic and then you went and ruined it with such bad logic.

A spoke is the top seller not because many people buy them, but rather a few people buy many.

It's the same for the extra $1 shipping. It's not a top seller because many people buy it, but rather because a few people buy many of it.

For the record, in 20 something orders from them, I've only been asked to pay extra shipping once. YMMV

Your logic is equally as presumptuous :) It could as easily be many as few. I would write for clarification, but they would just say yes lol

Any other purchase, it's 'how many do you want'. I was asked to send about 60 dollar extra shipping, but it's one at a time! 60 odd button pushes! I nearly refused on principle lol

I sent the 60 through paypal. We have to make a stand people :)

Why one at a time? The time I had to pay extra it was $52, and I just added the dollar extra shipping, chose qty=52, and paid via Paypal.

That's right. If you pay $50 extra shipping, it counts as a quantity of 50. The most popular products list is clearly based on quantities ordered, so you'd expect to see spokes and extra shipping at the top.

If they charged 1% of their customers $50 extra shipping, then I estimate that extra shipping would be as popular as all motors put together.

exactly. Also, the power pole and deans connectors used to also be on the top sellers list behind spokes for the same reason, a few people bought many. But now they've been displaced. By shipping. Which sucks. But it still doesn't mean they charge everyone extra shipping. And from what I've gathered, the "surprise! shipping" is usually when there is a battery in the order, and they can only ship it via a certain carrier, but the customer chose a different (cheapest) carrier at checkout. That could be total BS, but that's the line they gave me.

Yes, it's up there for all the reasons you say, but perhaps people are missing my point. Though I did quote it and have a lol about it. Making up over half my post.

It is usually batteries, because they are shipped tnt. So where is tnt on the couriers choice list? They are bms-battery. You could expect them to ship quite a few batteries. Only with tnt they say. So where is it?

I can't order shipping in multiple quantities. I can order everything else in multiples but the thing I order the most of is $1 at a time. Where are you seeing a multiple choice?

edit: The bitterness in my voice comes from the idea you can order multiples and I can't. That or your just making it up. Either way I feel done.

Back