How Fast is your ebike?

broloch

1 kW
What is the top speed of your ebike?

Do you normally ride at the top speed, or do you go slower?

Would you like it to be faster? (e.g. bigger battery pack, more voltage)?

I guess I'm first. Nothing impressive at all really. 22-23 mph top speed, no pedaling, on the flats, with no wind.

Pedaling + WOT I can get up to about 25 mph tops (flats/no wind).

A 30 mph top speed WOT would be nice but I'd want to go no faster than that.

Bill

I've hit 36 with the CA capping me to 20amps. I've never opened it up all the way with the CA set for 40 amps. No idea how fast it will go, but 36 is damn fast on a bike. The suspension oin this bike has 8 inches of travel and is set up soft. before I try for a high speed run, i'll need to set it up diffrent.

A 5303 on 700c wheels.

Fresh batteries 40mph.

After voltage stabilizes, 37mph.

If I had a more stable bike to use it on, with some suspension that could absorb more of the ride, then I would consider riding it faster than my usual 26-30mph.

A 5305 on 24" wheels 100V.

Fresh batteries 47mph.

After voltage stabilizes, 41mph.

Soon:

A 5303 on 20" wheels 100V.
Delta mode :twisted:
Fresh batteries 60-65mph.
After voltage stabilizes, 57mph.

Doc

31 mph on my current one with Kenda Kross semi-slicks and Forsen Hub motor at 60v

My new bike will be probably 40 - 50 mph...it'll have a 5303 hub motor with 60v of batteries.

5304 on 26" michelin city tires
48 volts pack fresh 28 mph top speed on flats no wind

voltage stablized: 25 ish

top speed ever was 34-35 mph pedaling and going downhill.

I hit 50 mph on flat ground last year according to gps. I was running a 5303 48a digital controller and two 36v lithium batteries in series. My pack was over 80v off the charger. I have a less powerful setup now and top speed is around 30mph@ 60v with a 35a analog controller. I only did this a few times anything over 40mph is scary on a bike and not very safe. I usually ride the bike at 20 mph and feel safe at that speed. With an x5 if you need to catch up to or pass a car you can. Having had a high power setup it really wasn't very practical if I ran it over 60v the motor would get hot in a short period of time and going 40mph+ can only be done on a good stretch of road with no pottholes. The fastest I ever recorded was 85km/h on flat ground which is just over 50mph and it felt like going 100mph on a streetbike because you know one bad move, a pothole or a rock could put you in the hospital and when people see a bike they underestimate how fast your going and cut you off when you ride at faster speeds. That run I had my tire pressure @ 80psi and their was no wind. This year I am happy with 30mph topspeed and I have not blown anything or had any battery problems as a result of not pushing things to their limits. I have about 1300kms in this year.

Both my bikes are geared for around 40mph. My recumbent goes 40mph hot off the charger. My PK Ripper runs about 44mph.

I have gotten used to the speed. I must say, though, my bikes are both built for high speed. Recumbents are naturally stable (most recumbents) at high speed and my PK Ripper was built from the ground up for high power and speed. I need to stress that because a normal bike going 40+mph is down right dangerous. That being said, I could gear each bike to go far faster. However, 40mph feels about the safest top speed for me.

Lastly, I run disc brakes with the largest rotors avaiable. I have absolutely no interest in riding something that cannot stop faster than it accellerates.

Matt

My bike is 30-35 at 48v on my lifepo4 I dont get slowed down by voltage sag 2-3 volts at most. But ive gotten it up to 37 in the extreme tucked in position on the downhill. I normally ride in the low 20s when I go out for exercise. Around the city im WOT gotta get respect on the road some how. Sometimes its best for me to go WOT so i can carry my the momentum through the hills. Im using bell kevlar reinforced urban tread semi slick. This is a step up from the knobbies which slowed me down 4-5 mph.

Wow...my stock set up would cruise @ 26-30mph, (just purchased 48v 1000w china kit on sla's ), hits 30+ down hill, peddle assist on flat, 35,

Just added a 3rd 12v, now crusies @ 32-33, hit 39.5 peddling. I think if I top off all the batts 40+

I run the direct drive BMC 1000W rear motor with a 30A controller. Top speed is 32 MPH (51 km/h) @ 36V 6AH Fatpacks. 48V is too fast. I cruise around 22-25 mph and use the top speed to merge in tight spots on my commute. This is on a dirt jump/freeride frame with 203 mm/8" rotor disc up front with 20mm thru-axle hub on dj/freeride forks. And of course, kevlar tires.

Fast enough to blow my hair back, but slow enough to stop in a hurry :mrgreen:

Blessings, Snow Crow

broloch said:
What is the top speed of your ebike?

Do you normally ride at the top speed, or do you go slower?

Would you like it to be faster? (e.g. bigger battery pack, more voltage)?

I usually ride at normal bicycling speed. My greatest speeds are achieved with gravity assistance rather than electrical.
Riding WOT is rare. I always want acceleration ability.

Though le Béte can acieve 43 - 46 kmh on the flats without pedaling my highest speed on the ebike has been 62.57 kmh. I wasn't pulling chain or drawing any amps at that point. My road bikes have travelled faster towed in the wake of chip haulers and highway buses.
Tucked in on the rear deck with my eyes just above the saddle is as aero as this bike gets.
Only longer and steeper hills, bigger balls or lots more volts would top that.

broloch said:
snowcrow said:
Fast enough to blow my hair back, but slow enough to stop in a hurry :mrgreen:

...so around 25-28mph? :twisted:
25 Mph is about as fast as she'll go, as for top crusing speed on the flats.

After seeing a beautiful young girl, from a local college, slam into the side of a SUV, a year ago, I decided more speed, is not what I need :| The driver of the SUV said he seen she, but had misjudged how fast she was going :shock:

Her helmet saved her life, but she went through a number of operations to re-construct her face, after she putting it through the side window of the SUV, along with a broken arm and collar bone :cry: She still has more re-constructive surgery to go, but she'll never be the same :cry:

Just thought it was important to share this story while discussing, "How fast is your bike?" An equally important question is, "How fast can your bike stop?"

Blessings, Snow Crow

Faster than rush hour traffic? Faster than pubic transit?
...I am stop-and-go so what is important to me is average trip speeds aka acceleration and fast stops, and not so much top speeds. Higher speeds just get you into trouble faster :)
tks
loCk

I go 20 mph. I'd be willing to go 25mph (would need a 48v pack) 26" eZee, 36V Ping pack.

Faster and faster is a thrill right until the final spill. Things happen awful quick even at 15mph when it comes to cars,
pulling into your path, backing out of driveways, failing to yield, etc.

Bike speeds are sufficient for me at this age.
If I were a kid, I'd race you in my Model T and win.
You'd end up under the running gear: there is a foot of clearance there.
Don't scratch my chassis paint, please?

At 90v with a 5305 my max speed is 39mph.

I have no working ride at the moment my old trike was good for cruising at 45km/hr though
IMHO i dont think travelling on the main roads on a bicycle more than 50-60km/hr is a good idea.
I found 40km/hr too be comfortable speed, stopping was quick from this speed and it got you places
relatively fast. Occasional bursts to 60km/hr (when the road is safe to do so) would be
acceptable IMO but any faster on a standard bicycle i think is dangerous. As for stopping
DISK DISKS DISK...2 up front one on the rear :) My new bike has been desgned around the
50-60km/hr mark top speed (for road use) with fast acceleration, cruising on it at ~45km/hr
i should get some impressive range.

KiM

The BMC 48v 600W kit @ 51v runs 30MPH WOT most of the time on the near deserted bike paths and streets with little to no traffic. The Giant Trance3 and I are very comfy with the speed as the oversized disc brakes stop on a dime and the bike feels very stable. Think I would feel comfortable at faster speeds but I don't think the drivers are up to it. I hurt bad enough already so don't need any help to make it worse.

My speeds are in the 40-44km/hr range in my 18km (each way) commute depending on terrain/wind. Slow compared to some of the other posts but I arrive feeling wind swept after 25mins or so in the saddle. I ride WOT at all times except on initial acceleration where the throttle is fed in gradually and coasting up to intersections to save the brakes. Top speed ever while pedalling was 48 km/hr with a strong tail wind. Ideally I want to go faster. :p Wife says no. I plan to tweak the setup to be able to maintain 48-50km/hr while pedalling.

I came off last week at 40km/h.

I'm hurting. Road rash on arm, shoulder, knee and ankle.

I donwanna go much fast than 50km/h. You really need leathers if you go faster than that.

Also, I find that the wind noise really becomes annoying at high speed - it takes the fun out of it after a while...which is why a tailwind is really nice, even on an ebike.

Back