Mounting Cube Battery to Rear Rack and Basket for Deliveries

SteelWolf

1 mW
Hello Everyone!

Im not sure where I should post this but I have done some searching and am having a hard time figuring out what I should do. :oops: :cry: :?:

Bike: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/xtc-a ... ot5-2-2014

Battery: https://em3ev.com/shop/50v-14s7p-rectan ... tery-pack/
The Battery is 5.7kg or 12.56 lbs and 325mm*140mm*80mm or about 12.79in x 5.51in x 3.14in

I am getting close to being able to complete my build which is a 2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2 27.5 with a CYC X! Pro Gen2 and a EM3ev 14s7p Cube battery, It has a hard water resistant case.

I bought a Blackburn Central Rear Rack (https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/central-rear-bike-rack) and want to get either a bag set or baskets to put on it in order to secure my battery and be able to deliver food and things so I can earn extra cash with postmates, etc... I am having trouble figuring out which baskets or bags would fit, I am also considering a front basket if I dont have enough space for deliveries using just the rear.

Edit: I realize now that the thru axles are too big for the rack I bought so I am now looking for racks compatible with this type of Mountain bike and or triangle bags and baskets.... :oops:
I would be very gratful for any suggestions, advice, etc. I am finding it more difficult to figure this out than deciding on the motor and abttery and all that, lol.

Please Help and Thank You! I will post pictures when it is finished, if any pictures would help you know how to help me let me know and ill post them.

-Ed

i would put any front carrier right over the front wheel on a frame extension from the top/downtube, like some of the small-front-wheel cargo bikes do. it wouldn't be on the fork or bars, whcih can make for undesirable handling changes in steering.

you can put the battery in the front carrier, or use it for delivery stuff....but i'd put the battery there first, and if there's space leftover, then use it for delivery stuff too.

I dig it!

https://ebiketips.road.cc/sites/default/files/styles/970wide/public/thumbnails/image/Benelli%20Eurobike%20Show%202018-1.jpg?itok=Byuguxhk
https://www.greenbikeelectric.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/cargo-easy-slider-3-845x684.jpg
https://www.xtracycle.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/bike-RFAUtility-builtup.jpg

link to your bike, or picture would have helped. Its a standard diamond frame bike, so a rack of that type will fit it. Not shown in the picture you linked to, is the hardware that connects it near the seat.

Sometimes if you load up these racks enough, something will break, but in general, the rack will last a while.

But for that bike, a triangle mounted battery would be ideal. If the size is right, but the battery is not designed to mount on the frame, you can carry it in a sturdy triangle bag intended for batteries, such as the EM3ev one.

so you might be better off with one of the sharks, than the cube. Or the smaller cube styles.

Well I have realized the rear rack I got is not compatible so I will be returning that. I am worried that I will have a hard time finding anything that will work on the back or front. I am starting to look at triangle bags, a large enough one that is heavy duty enough should be able to hold this battery.
Sorry :oops: You are right I should have posted a link to my bike at the start and here it is:

Bike: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/xtc-advanced-27dot5-2-2014

Battery: https://em3ev.com/shop/50v-14s7p-rectangle-battery-pack/
The Battery is 5.7kg or 12.56 lbs and 325mm*140mm*80mm or about 12.79in x 5.51in x 3.14in

I may have jumped the gun with the battery :oops: :cry: (Em3evs holiday sale was too good to pass up and I wanted the most battery I could afford) but I didn't think there would be a problem putting a rack on my bike and I intended on mounting the motor in the frame, I got the mounting thing for the controller but I realize I will have to make wires to extended the cables to connect the controller (This is my first build obviously). I just bought a solder kit and 10awg wire and xt-90s connectors to make a cable for the battery, I may use it in a backpack for testing but I am still hoping with everyone's help I can figure out a way to put on a rear rack and maybe some sort of front basket as I really want to use this bike for Deliveries...

I am thinking a good quality triangle pack would hold the battery well enough, It would have to be large and heavy duty for a battery this size (dimensions and weight above). If anyone has any more suggestions, links to triangle packs that are sturdy enough for this use, rear racks that can attach to this type of bike ( Giant P-XCR1 WheelSystem, [F] 15mm axle, [R] 142x12mm axle) the thru axle is too big for the way the rear rack I bought from blackburn attaches so now I am wondering if all of them are that way but I haven't had time to search this yet but if anyone has dealt with this before I would appreciate any and all help! Like I said before, I need to attach the battery and I need a system that I can attach either baskets or bags to in order to be able to transport food and other deliveries.

Thank You so much for any and all Help!

amberwolf said:
i would put any front carrier right over the front wheel on a frame extension from the top/downtube, like some of the small-front-wheel cargo bikes do. it wouldn't be on the fork or bars, whcih can make for undesirable handling changes in steering.

you can put the battery in the front carrier, or use it for delivery stuff....but i'd put the battery there first, and if there's space leftover, then use it for delivery stuff too.

Thanks for the suggestion but if you are referring to the type of system that Markz posted a picture of I dont think it will work on my type of bike. My fault :oops: :cry: since I didnt post a link or picture in my original post. If you have any other ideas or suggestions please let me know, I posted specifics in the previous post. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Make your own bicycle rack for both the front and back.
You can get a cheap welder from Harbor Freight for $100, but its not necessary because just using bolts will hold up. I would use a combination of attachements from using the frame holes firstly, then using T-bolt clamps with some rubber pieces to protect the frames paint. Find other places to use for rack securement like usually there is a hole at the top of the front tire on the fork, using the axle of the hub motor itself is good too, except when you get a flat tire. You can slide a piece of flat stock steel on a disc brake adapter mount bolt, would need a longer bolt too. Also there are seat post racks, but if you add extra metal pieces from rack to seat stays, it will surely be sturdy!

With the T-bolt clamps, you can drill a hole in it to secure a flat head bolt, mount it anywhere on your frame.

Ahh. now I see better what your bike is. I thought it was just a normal, metal bike. No rack mounts on that carbon fiber frame.

You got a bonafide problem now. Your battery is a bit on the heavy side for seatpost racks. I have broken seat posts carrying too much battery weight, but that was off road riding. It could be a risk to your frame too, which cost a ton, to try a heavy seatpost rack.

One thing that might work though, is a trailer, that attaches at the seat. Meanwhile, you are going to be carrying a backpack.

Or,,, like I often say, "DONT ruin your favorite bike with a motor kit" Get something affordable, likely steel frame, and put your rack, heavy battery, and motor on that. Weight won't matter with the steel bike, its going to have that powerful motor on it.

You just need to not ruin a great pedal bike with motor kits.

what kind of stuff will you be delivering? and in what amounts?

based on my experiences of carrying many things the size of a piano or smaller at one time or another, on or behind a bike, i'd suggest getting a different bike to use for this purpose.

something designed specifically to carry cargo, or something that is easily adapted to do so.

exactly what bike to recommend depends on what you need to deliver and how much you need to carry at a time.

and also whether that's all you would need to carry on it, or whetehr you may increase teh amount of stuff or change the type.

The bike choice would be ideal for pedal bike messenger, in other words, delivering stuff that would fit in the larger messenger bags.

But very poor choice for an e bike, unless it carries the battery in the triangle ok. He needs a commuter type bike, fenders, sturdy rack preferably welded into the frame structure, or even a double dutch.

Back