New Gallium(GaN) chargers -any tangible benefit to ebike battery charging?

nickceouk

10 W
The newer GaN wall chargers have been making rounds at CES 2020.
The question I have is if there are any clear benefits to be had for portable ebike charging - 13s - 54.6v DC.

99% efficiency is what these things advertise ...how does this compare with standard brick charger used before GaN - weight , volume & safety etc?

The CES 2020 stuff is geared at smartphones/laptops and tops at 100w.
There are other things like reference designs for GaN rectifier but 54.6v are not to be found :roll:

Is there any reason we are not using GaN chargers for e-vehicles?

Would love to see some products 500+Watt if they exist

There is an advantage in charger efficiency, if this is your priority. Mine are charging time and heat shedding, so I am using high power chargers with active cooling. Everyone has his own priorities: efficiency, size, vibration proofing, variable power sources, variable output...

madin88 said:
nickceouk said:
There are other things like reference designs for GaN rectifier but 54.6v are not to be found :roll:

Eltek Flatpack SHE have GaN transistors and achieve almost 98%.

https://www.eltek.com/globalassets/media/downloads/brochures/she_brochure.pdf

I checked the Eltek Flat pack SHE against the Huawei R4850S1(98% max efficiency) rectifier.
The Huawei rectifier was recommended and has a few threads on this forum.

It's surprising that there is no real difference in size or specs between the two. High efficiency means less heat loss afaik ... so would have expected the 98% advertised gear to be fanless :shock:

Perhaps true GaN gear is just not on the market yet in the 48v range with high amps output :|

Back