New Lipo Batteries Test

knoxie

1 MW
Hello

I have in my possession 2 batteries for test, they are both Lipo and are rated as follows.

37V 20AH (265 x 155 x 100) Length, Depth, Height (6.8kg)

and

48V 20AH (265 x 160 x 150) Length, Depth, Height (9.1kg)

The 37V battery weighs 6.8KGS so is heavier than the ev tech battery however it is a higher capacity battery and will put out 15AH where as the point 1 battery only does 10AH before cutting off. Also you can pull peak of 60A from it with 45A continuous.

The build quality looks ok on the inside but it looks a little rushed on the outside, it is cheap however, its size is a little bigger than the point-1 packs again I think that this is down to the higher capacity.

I need to make some mods to my bike rack in order to get it bolted down for a test, the 48V battery is a different challenge as it is a little bigger I will post up some pictures of that soon.

There are some very substantial cables coming off the battery I think 10mm so they look good for the amps (if a little over sized in all honesty) there is an internal 2 pin socket fixed in the pack for charging, both units come with 3A chargers that look and perform very much like the point 1 chargers and put out 3A.

I will let you all know how they perform in the next few weeks.

All the best

Knoxie

Attachments

• bat3.jpg
    bat3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 5,377
Paul,

I look forward to your reports on these new lipos!

Please clarify one thing for me, however: are Doug Canfield's packs and the Point 1 packs you refer to one and the same? This is the first I've heard of Point 1, so am a bit confused.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Regards,

Larry

P.S. Also, how about a rough idea of the pricing on these packs and who is supplying them? Any track record to date?

Hi Larry

Yes the point-1 and the ev tech packs are the same thing, I dont know too much about these packs as its a little under wraps whilst I am testing them but pricing should be under the existing packs which is good considering these packs are true 15AH packs (20AH with a 15AH shut off) so for some may be worth the extra and also the ability to thump out 60A peaks may be of interest to none assist riders that want a big thump to get going.

They look a little rough around the edges but if they perform then who cares, the build quality inside looks good and the pictures show the BMS built in and we do have some assembly pictures that look good as well, its just the finished case that needs a bit of TLC.

Not sure on durability or anything else yet we shall see, the 48V pack is a little bigger, I fancy building that in to a scooter for the summer as its an ideal size to bolt in to a mini motor bike frame.

Have a good weekend!!

Knoxie

Knoxie, The pack looks interesting. I like that the top of the box comes off. I have an EV Tech 36v 15ah pack and it is sealed excluding access -- though it is performing perfectly after 1 year, 500 miles and 30 charge cycles.

What is under the plastic/foam -- can you see the cells? Might they be the same as EV Tech cells?

We do b lookin forward to your tests.

Thanks,
Al

That does look cool. I can't wait until those become cheap.
I wonder if heat from the BMS will be a problem all sealed up in a box?

...Not sure but I think the heat from the cells will be greater than from the BMS. At any rate I'm suprised to see the foam insulation as I would think the aluminum box would be seen as a heat sink and would therefore want contact with the cells to dissipate the heat. I use my EV Tech pack hard and its heat is the one limiting factor, bringing it to 'cutdown' status regularly.

Hi Guys

Yes its a nice cheap old battery this one!! ha ha and it is not bad for the money, I haven't loaded it up yet to try it but I am pretty hopeful it will be ok. I can probably get inside to look at the cells but there is no need as the supplier will tell me and or show me the photos.

It will be great to test the 60A max amp pull, its a shame fechter and his scoot are not nearer!! I will have to up the amps on the KMX controller and do some stalling!!

I will report back with as much data that my GPS and my meters can tell me about this battery, I dont have a 100 percent price fix but its looking 20-30 percent cheaper than the ev tech one and it has greater capacity if a little larger.

Watch this space

Cheers

Knoxie

Oh and its still raining here, I will need to make an electric boat I think.

Hello

Right I got out and did a 6 mile ride with this pack, it worked very well, I was seeing only 1 volt drop at 35A! thats very good indeed, I pulled 6AH out of it and it was still fine, didnt get warm at all (was inside my rucksack).

I intend to go and run it until the BMS cuts it out to see what capacity I can get out of it, I am going to take 2 packs though being lazy so I dont have to cycle back!! ha ha.

Its looking good though people, will let you all know

Cheers

Knoxie

Hello

Well hmm these batteries are pretty special! I managed to get 17ah off them!! this is amazing!! even at the end of the ride they were still putting out 28A! I backed off when the volts dropped to 32 as unlike the other packs they don't cut out at 10AH or even at all so its important to cut them at 32V, but still 17AH!! that's 7AH more than the ev tech packs.

These packs are bigger and weigh 40% more though and they are more expensive than the EV tech packs, that said though they are still amazing value for money and can really dish the amps out, I now have 3 x 37V batteries to test here and with moderate peddling could go 120 miles or so! my goodness I am not sure my bum would stand it though!!

I will do some more tests with these and let you know but they are certainly high in estimation now, the Chinese really are pulling their fingers out!!

Cheers

Knoxie

Q: I'd expected they were to be priced cheaper, adjuding by your earlier posts, Paul.
Now they cost more than the EV Tech packs?

And of the BMS system: if there's no cutoff at all, what safety is afforded then?

The 36V pack is of personal interest here.
If it's that stiff against voltage drop under 35A load, that's of real value here.

Who will be selling these packs Stateside?
PM please, if you cannot answer in public?

Oh, and the test above--that's of the 36V pack, right?

Thanks very much for all this juicy information!

Reid

Yes, Paul, these packs sound special indeed! Please continue to post your test ride data as I think we're all excited at the possibility of a high range, high discharge pack that weighs just 15 lbs.

Lipos are da sh*t! Finally, some capable batteries that will take you where you want to go--and pronto!

Regards,

Larry

HI Reid & Larry

Yes I got burnt by Mark :lol: I got the wrong end of the stick on the price as he was talking about NIMH and I got all confused!! so apologies, that said they are going to be very good.

I believe Doug is watching my exploits with them and is keen to get some in I had blown the BMX controller back end of last year (stalling and messing about) ha ha I repaired the controller (Big thanks to Fechter) who helped me all the way, I will post about that tomorrow.

Anyway took the BMX out for a test run did 3.5 miles used 2.5AH over a 200 foot elevation, no peddling at 21mph, I think that's pretty good going, so with this lipo I can do 25 miles at 21 mph no peddling at all, you could easy carry 2 of them if not on the bike one on the bike and one in a pack, peddle a little and do 80 miles or so if your butt could stand it!!

So yes these are high capacity cells and can thump the amps out for sure, exiting times indeed, just need some sunshine now to warm my feet up!!

Cheers

Knoxie

Some of that testing is not applicable to most of us as most are using a 26" wheel. Someone should test for a 26" wheel.

You would be surprised!

Many of the customers of Marks and indeed a lot of hub motor people fit them in to smaller wheels and bikes for the main reason that they dont produce enough torque in a 26 inch wheel.

The reason the BMX is being used is because the wheel is being sold to people with disabilities and as such can not be a 26 inch wheel, that said I am going to be running a 26 inch version in the next couple of weeks at 37 48 and 72 volts.

It will have less torque than the BMX of course but will pull the same amps It will just do it higher up the rev range, I am exited about testing it in a 26 inch wheel as I am pretty sure it is going to perform very well compared to other hub motors that are around.

Cheers

Knoxie

Back