Ignition Key?

gwsaltspring

100 W
When I set up my bike I installed an ignition key between the battery pack and the controller. It seemed like a good idea at the time.

Anyone else do this?

Greg

My go-hub came stock with the key switch. Been working great. Not sure how high the amperage rating is though.

Yes, that looks like the one I got from Justin.

Is that your controller just behind your seat post?

I just moved mine into a seat bag which is nice and neat but I noticed that it got a bit warm to the touch yesterday.

Any concerns with your set up about cooling or lack of it in a bag like you have?

Cheers Greg

PS Did you get new tires for your rig too? I'm having trouble keeping all of the different threads straight :roll:

Hey you are up late too!

So it looks like a key isn't such a bad idea. At the very least it seems to help with sparks when things get plugged in :wink:

Greg

Is that your controller just behind your seat post?
Its a 6 volt sla battery hiding in the bag. :D Controller is mounted in the front. Its an older picture with the older tires.

Yes,Ive got an ignition key switch situated between the controller connector and the controller. It saved the controller once.A while back I was connecting the batteries to the controller when BANG!!! Somehow the controller connector shorted out,the darned thing was burnt black and the actual metal parts of both the connectors were sorta melted out of shape.The 25 amp fuse had blown as well. Thank goodness for the keyed switch...I've replaced the connectors on both sides and all's been fine since.If it wouldn't have been for the keyed switch I'd have been shopping for a new controller.

My controller is completely enclosed in the metal battery box and I haven't experienced any failure due to heat.Summer's finally arrived and the temps where I am are getting past 30 degrees celcius,the controller gets fairly warm but not so warm that you can't keep your fingers on it.But your setup may work differently,mines a brushed motor.

Definately get a keyed switch,could be a controller saver.Oh yea no spark when connecting the batteries either,an added bonus!

Eric

OK men, I'm sold --1) where does one get one of those keyed switch thingys?

2) Or what rating toggle would work?

3) And what voltage does the key handle?

Thanks,
Al

Here's one:
http://www.poweridestore.com/Hub-Motor-Acces/Switches/Battery-Cut-off-Key-Switch

There's another one at electricrider.com but looks like you have to buy the wiring and connectors with it for 29.99. Its the crystalyte brand. Don't know if there the same or not. They might be using different gauge wire. You probably can change it.

Back