D-Man

100 kW

Lessss said:
Layers. Thermal underwear. Mittens not gloves. Scarf or dickie. Full facial beard.
Yeah, with e-bike, you don't generate as much heat to keep warm. When I ride with my bike club in the winter time, I will freeze to death if I just don't dump the electric motor for and tough it out on the heavy bike for a steep hill or normal speed ride. Makes me wonder how well my e-bike would power electric thermal underwear :wink:

I pedal most all the time, so my situation is closer to the bicyclists'. Here's a pretty good article:

http://commutebybike.com/2006/11/01/how-to-dress-for-cold-weather/

I especially like the comment posted by the guy who claims his eyelids froze shut once (in -20 F)

I haven't ridden below 38 F (3 C) yet, but I've found it is true that if I'm comfortable for the first 10 minutes, I'm dressed too warmly and will get sweaty later if I don't stop & peel off some clothes. So if I'm kinda cold at first it's OK.

Thanks for the link.

My greatest clothing find is the Mountain Hardware Windstopper Tech Jacket
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1&prod=602&cat=9&viewAll=False

It is windstopper but the real special trick is the large 'pit zips.' A big part of staying warm is to not get damp. The armpit zips do the trick sooo well. You can wear a vest of whatever weight you need for warmth and the breathable windstopper fabric and pit zips do the rest. Though it seems a bit pricey at $180 I've been wearing mine, often everyday all day long for four years and even the cuffs are not worn -- top quality stuff!! Wear a moisture wicking sleevless shirt as bottom layer for the ultimate.
Rock & Ride!

Clothes should be about right for working outside, you've got too much on if they keep you warm when standing still. (unless you pedal symbolicly)

If you're cold, close/add a layer.
If you're hot, open/remove a layer.

Close before going down a long-ish hill, open before climbing a long-ish hill.

Otherwise it's normal to feel cold while starting off, but you should be warming up by 500m.

If your clothes choice for a given day fails miserably, you can drag a brake and push against it to make heat with less wind.

If your feet get cold/numb you may want to get off and jog every now & then.

Theese days I wear normal indoor clothes (two pairs of socks, shirt in the jeans) + parka + gloves + a balaclava under my helmet. Also got a neck thing to prevent air going there.

Cold? It was 31C (88F) here yesterday, same temp forecast for today too :wink: When it gets too cold I just chicken out and take my EVT electric scooter.

Back