Going for the 5304 - have various questions

Deepkimchi

1 kW
Okay, my first post - no laughing allowed.

After burning my eyeballs out reseaching and going thru this forum, I went and bought a $120 steel frame MTB with front & rear suspension. I'm 160 lbs at 50 yrs old.

I live about 15 minutes (car drive) from work door to door, with 4-5 moderate hills, would say 2 are about 20 degrees (not %), one is a short 30-35 degree. Gets miserably hot here..

Finally decided on buying the Xlyte 5304 rear wheel kit from Poweride with 40A controller, without battery or charger (can't make up my mind on battery).

I have the following questions:

Before I order, anyone had any delivery (or other) problems with Poweride?

Does a throttle twist grip mean that you need to remove the front grip gear changer (front sprocket changer)?

Any weight problems to watch ? Busting tires, bottoming shock, bending metal?

I would like to use Li-Phos batteries, but don't want to solder individual cells together (Xyster must have the patience and time I had when I was 30). The Forum's tech pages (and the battery Univ) don't explain the simple stuff - if you buy 36 V packs (ala Dewalt), do you need a separate charger per pack? (or set alarm for 1 am and change packs?) What if you had 4 packs in parallel (can you charge them together?).

Battery U at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1403
Am I understanding the different battery loadings right? 1C would mean I shouldn't pull more than 10 amps out of a 10ah pack at any time? SLA 10ah no more than 2 amps?

Last question: Who is Randy? :wink:

Deepkimchi said:
Okay, my first post - no laughing allowed.

Nobody here would do that! We all share the common bond of EV's and treat each other with the highest respect. Ha ha...yah right. I used to have a Korean girlfriend who cooked kimchi. Yuck! Smelled horrible and tasted worse. :D

After burning my eyeballs out reseaching and going thru this forum, I went and bought a $120 steel frame MTB with front & rear suspension. I'm 160 lbs at 50 yrs old.

Congratulations on living past the half-century mark. Here's hoping you don't get run over the first day on the road with your new ebike!

I live about 15 minutes (car drive) from work door to door, with 4-5 moderate hills, would say 2 are about 20 degrees (not %), one is a short 30-35 degree. Gets miserably hot here..

So a short ride with very steep hills.

Finally decided on buying the Xlyte 5304 rear wheel kit from Poweride with 40A controller, without battery or charger (can't make up my mind on battery).

Good choice. I'd suggest a 24" wheel for more hill climbing thrust.

Before I order, anyone had any delivery (or other) problems with Poweride?

I got my throttle and controller from the Poweridestore no problems.

Does a throttle twist grip mean that you need to remove the front grip gear changer (front sprocket changer)?

Not necessarily. I slid my shifter down a couple centimeters and then installed a half-grip throttle.

Any weight problems to watch ? Busting tires, bottoming shock, bending metal?

The bike rests atop the heavy motor, so weight is not an issue except insofar as whatever you load the bike down with -- doubt it'll be a problem unless you stack on tons of lead batteries. The hubmotor should go on the rear because the torque of a 5304 at 40 amps will shred any stock front fork/dropout.

I would like to use Li-Phos batteries, but don't want to solder individual cells together (Xyster must have the patience and time I had when I was 30).

Xyster is extremely patient with stuff like that. Not so patient waiting for the parts to arrive... :D

The Forum's tech pages (and the battery Univ) don't explain the simple stuff - if you buy 36 V packs (ala Dewalt), do you need a separate charger per pack? (or set alarm for 1 am and change packs?) What if you had 4 packs in parallel (can you charge them together?).

The Dewalt packs I believe can be charged in parallel without modification except for the additional wiring connecting them. For each pack added in series you'd need either an extra charger, or to rotate chargers.

Battery U at http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1403
Am I understanding the different battery loadings right? 1C would mean I shouldn't pull more than 10 amps out of a 10ah pack at any time?

Basically correct. The "C" rating is usually for continuous operation. Bursts can be higher.

SLA 10ah no more than 2 amps?

I don't understand this question. 10ah SLAs can supply over a hundred amps, but at a drastically reduced overall capacity due to the Peukert effect.

Last question: Who is Randy? :wink:

Randy is history...

I've ordered some things for PoweRide. Shipping was fast if they had the item in stock, but keep in mind demand often outstrips supply of Crystalyte kits and all vendors spend much time waiting for new stock to get in. If PoweRide has a 5304 in stock then I would expect it to ship quickly, yes.

While 24" wheels do have more torque 26" wheels can have plenty too -- especially if you are pedaling. I ride over a 2000' mountain with 26" wheels. I've had the EV Tech lipo for 18 months and love it. It is $750 but I believe it is the best off the shelf pack = 10lbs, 36V 12 Ah (says 15ah in ads)

You've got some weight & power so I would not scrimp on tires. There are many good tires and the tread depends on what surface you ride. If flats are an issue the Kevlar tires are proven tough. I like my Specialized Armadillo Hemispheres on my 5304 and love my Maaxis Hookworms. Personally, as a rule of thumb I only buy tires that cost over $30 ea have your wheels true & tight and plan on retightening them after the first 20 - 50 miles and maybe several times more until they settle in.

If you are in Korea can't you get a Crystalyte from the factory rather than shipping it back and forth across the ocean?

You seem to be on the right track with your selections and coming here for advice -- I do too. Good luck & have fun!
A

Mike, Sorry that I can't tell you exactly because as I climb over my mountain I switch back and forth several times between my 8.5ah Nimh pack and this EV Tech 36v 12ah Lipo, as one cools and one works. They don't get real hot but on the downhill side I have regen so they get heat on the up and downhill sections. My commute is 15 miles and I don't have a drainbrain on this bike yet. This is the same 'Point One' pack Knoxie uses and I think he gets 12ah out of it though it's rated at 15ah. The cells are 15ah but the bms is set for a higher LVC to increase pack/cycle life. It's in an aluminum box and though pricey it performs perfectly and is 10lbs and small!

:eek:

Yeah that Kimchi gets hot, hard to find food that isn't spicy here. :oops:

I wrote an email to the only Crystalyte dealer listed here in Korea, they only had the 408 kit. I have the military APO mail so it's just as easy to order from the States.

To get them from China I'd probably have to pay import duty from China into Korea. I'd have to find the Chinese source first.

Hope I didn't irk the Poweride dealer. Noticed his site didn't state the 5304 kit came with the double wall rim. The 4000 series kits always mentioned the rim. Other sites stated it I asked him per email. Stores might be taking a long weekend.

AT $ 750 the EV Tech LiPO doesn't sound bad, especially at 10 lbs. Chaining 36V 2.2ah Dewalts at $150 a pop in parallel to get 12-15 ah would be 150X6=$ 900

Monsoon season will be over in a couple of weeks, got to order and get the bike rolling...

If I ever get started I'll have to try the Youtube camera tour, but not near the airfield. Last thing I need is to get hauled in by the MPs. I'll try in town if a Korean don't run me over :shock:

I wish I knew when you were going If it had been ok with you get me a similar pack as the one you will get there inChina mailand.

I cant beleive there is little interest on the part of small import operations.

mind you I saw one of those chinese companies selling the so called real batteries on ebay kid you not

I'll try to find it

found

http://cgi.ebay.com/LiFePO4-electric-bike-Scooter-battery-24V-10Ah-350W_W0QQitemZ270150676220QQihZ017QQcategoryZ75210QQcmdZViewItem

Have a good trip.

Randy aint he in the trailer park boys without the shirt!!

Back