the e-bike dictionary for noobs

Hi~~
As a noob....perhaps I can speak for others who are often confused as they (we) try to learn from all these great posts. I think we could really use a dictionary, a glossary of terms, especially with regard to all the abbreviations used. It is really difficult to learn through sheer context of use in terms....requires reading hundreds of posts to begin to grasp it all. Anyone willing to help us electrical dummies??
Also....it occurred to me that SOMEONE out there could probably make a tidy income by writing an e-book, which could really help so many people who sit on the fence, wondering if they could pull off an e-bike build. Topics especially useful...battery pack construction....updated and comprehensive list of products available...wiring configurations and upgrades (bigger phase wires), connectors, etc.
What a godsend these would be.

Check this out:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1216

...and also this for non-hub motor drive bikes:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11162

These two links provide a large bulk of the acronyms and terms associated with our awesome hobby.

danny,

I agree completely. despite spending the majority of my free time in this forum over the past eight months I must say that there are still gaps in my understanding you could drive a tesla through. I think I have enough know how to finish my project, but wouldn't it be great if there was something to the effect of a "ev diy 101" thread that covered the basics for people who are just getting into the hobby. possibly a separate thread for hub motor builders and non-hub builds. stuff for people who aren't into kits. I would start a thread myself but I am no one to be giving advice to anyone.

I think you have a point. A glossery would help. For most of the other info, this section was written just for that: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16

As for a book, Would be good. I've considered it my self, But the technology is changing so fast right now, the information would be out dated between the finished draft and the first printing.

Some common abriviations used specificly in Ebikes are:

9C - Nine Continents: A brand name of motor manufacturer
A - amp
AH - Amp Hour. The amount of amps that can be sustained for 1 hour
BB - Bottom Bracket: Sometimes used to refer to chain drive style of motors.
BLDC - Brushless DC electric motor.
BMC - A brand name of motor manufacturer
BMS - battery management system.
C or C rate) - Capacity. A rating in amps based on the battery's capacity in amp hours.
Clyte - Crystalyte: A brand name of motor manufacturer
eBike - Electric Bicycle: a device for enabling maniacs to get them selves killed :twisted:
FET - MOSFET. a type of transister used in controlling and distrubiting the power to an electric motor.
Halls - Hall-effect transistors. Generaly used in refrence to the sensors in a BLDC motor, but are used in throttles and speed sensors as well
KV - Motor Speed, given in RPMs per volt. 10 KV will do 10 RPM at 1 volt, 100 RPM at 10 volts. K, for some odd reason, means RPM in this instance. No one seems to be sure why.
LiCo - Lithium Cobalt batteries
LiFePO4 - Lithium Iron batteries
LiMn - Lithium Manginuese batteries
LiPo - Lithium polymer batteries. Usualy only used to refer to LiMn, and LiCo batteries, although technicly a correct term for LiFePO4.
NiCad - Nickle Cadnium batteries
NiMh - Metal Hydride batteries
PAS - Peddle Assist. The motor speed is controlled by the peddle speed or force instead of by throttle.
Pb - lead, used as slang for Lead acid batteries
SLA - Sealed Lead Acid batteries
Wh - watt hours. the power in watts over 1 hour time. Used as Capacity of a battery.
Wh/kh - watt hours per kilometer of speed: A unit used to compare efficancy for those who aren't Americans.
Wh/mi - watt hours per mile: A unit used to compare efficancy for Americans, because Americans are just too cool for the metric system.

Volt = The amount of pressure on the electron in electricity
Amp = The amount of Flow of electrons
Watt = total power. Volts X Amps = watts

guys~~
This is great...and exactly why e-sphere works. Thank you for your contributions....let's keep going. Someday, I'll write that book if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Thought about writing a book myself, but realized that the tech reference section kinda is the book. The rest is all here, but you have to read for years to find it all. It's worth the time though, because the dialogue is more informative than just one view of the topic.

Back