ebike.ca x5 series hubs

dexgo

1 mW
Hi, I am new here.

This is a great forum and I have been reading it for a while now.

My question is.:

are the x5 series 5303-5305 from ebike.ca geniune? and contain 750w?

thanks.

I guess they are genuine.

I am getting a dual suspension bike from canadian tire.

then I am going to buy the 5304 hub. and deck it out with lithium Ion batteries.

Yes, those X5's are the genuine article. And they contain as much power as you feed them, up to 7,000 watts or so.

xyster Thanks for the reply,

I can fit a 20" hub on a regular size bike right?

I can just match the front to make it work.

I was also thinking a disc brake upgrade for the front.

I am so glad I found out about this stuff.

I can't wait ti'll tuesday, so I can go out a get my bike. then order up a storm..

btw xyster, Your posts have been muchos informative.

-dex

thanks for the reply,

and Yes. good point.

I am glad I have not purchased a bike yet.

If I get 1 or 2 packs of the 36volt dewalt lithium ion batteries.

will this do me good?

or should I get 2x 25 18650 batteries and wire them.

thanks

dexgo said:
If I get 1 or 2 packs of the 36volt dewalt lithium ion batteries.

will this do me good?

Going right to the good stuff :)... Each dewalt pack will buy you about 2-4 miles of range. And you'll probably have to run leads from inside the dewalt pack, on the main power leads just under the BMS, to the outside, and then wire those leads in parallel and/or series.

or should I get 2x 25 18650 batteries and wire them.

You'll need a lot more 18650s because each cell can only safely produce 2-3 amps. If you've got a 20 amp controller, you'd need at minimum 8 cells in parallel, and then 9 in series for 72 total. With typical 2ah 18650s, that pack would be 16ah and about 36 volts.

Each dewalt cell can safely produce about 60 amps -- well above the current limit of any unmodified, off-the-shelf ebike motor controller. Therefore, you can technically run only one dewalt cell in parallel, then as many in series as you need to meet your voltage requirements. 11 cells in series would make a ~36volt 2.2ah pack.

so here I am.

250 for this bike... heh
http://www.canadiantire.ca/include/products/inc_product_zoom_display.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443288072&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396673782&bmUID=1186375327597')

then a 20" 5303 -500.00 for hub.

then a 72/32 controller 250.00

and 500 bux worth of batts.

that should get me started.

Nice bike. You may have a problem fitting a rear disc because the X5, with just a three-speed freewheel and no disc, is already about 130mm wide. I had to ditch my stock rear brake completely, and go with two front brakes, one disc, one rim.

I think Ypedal got a rear disc to fit on his 150mm wide Norco.

i plan on ditching the rear brake as well.

I just can't decide on the motor.

I want the 5303 but ebikes don't carry it in anything bigger than 20"

so then it's 5303 in 20"

or I will spring for the 5304 in 26" or 24.

dex,
u might wanna go a slightly different route -

how about getting a bike at a bike shop that has rim front and rear brakes

then asking them how much to upgrade the front to disc brakes:)

Thats the best way of doing it. (its where I'll eventually go after i get my bike on the road).

I'd almost leave the bike as the last purchase :p - also consider a 2nd hand bike, esp if ur gonna replace the rear cluster, front forks, brakes, hub/wheel.

ebay is great.

My bike was a friend's old mountain bike he didn't want - its better for the environment if u go 2nd hand :p:p:p.

dexgo said:
i plan on ditching the rear brake as well.

I just can't decide on the motor.

I want the 5303 but ebikes don't carry it in anything bigger than 20"

so then it's 5303 in 20"

or I will spring for the 5304 in 26" or 24.

I'm pretty sure there's a 5303/26" at the shop, or one could be put together for you.

To help you decide rim size and motor, play around with the hubmotor simulator at different voltages:
http://www.ebikes.ca/simulator/
Real-world peak speed occurs right around the green, efficiently-line peak.

If you're planning higher voltages, like 72 volts, and aren't planning to ride over 40mph, then it makes more sense from a power and efficiency perspective to choose a higher-numbered X5 in a smaller rim. At 72 volts, my 5304 in a 24" rim had a top speed of 44mph. In a 20" rim, it has a top speed of 35mph.

Back