Fenders

My bike could be considered old at 12+ years and it's never had fenders which until the addition of the 5304 never seemed all that important. When it rained I didn't use it therefore no need.

But, with the motor I travel further and have been caught in the rain and have had to travel wet roads after the rain. Even if I avoided the rain it was/is hard to avoid the wet roads which in turn get me wet and dirty and isn't much fun.

So despite the fact that I should be president of the procrastinators club I looked for fenders on the web last week. I ordered early in the week and they arrived on Saturday and installed on Sunday. Installation was about fifteen minutes and required NO disassembly of the bike.

$12.00, $5.99 shipping, no tax, make these the best bicycle bargain in awhile. http://www.rei.com/product/736678

Mike

Fenders should cover tire and if you observe how centrifugal force throws water those fenders don't protect much, they are rather decoration.
Rear fender should cover close 1/2 of tire no less.
Old fashoned ones, yes, they do the job.
Freedy/or Fredy/ Fenders from Planet Bike are example of full coverage of wet tire. Just Google Planet Bike.
In the front shocks you mount fender UNDER the crown of fork, higher mounting is close to useless. Fender should not move with shocks for obvios reason.
Yes, well securely mounted fenders can be close to tire minimazing air drag. I have set from Planet Bike - thay are high quality ones made of polycarbon, very smooth and glossy. My front one is close like 2-3 cm from tire for over 7000km no problems. It had been in 20-30cm snow , very heavy rain
MC

of course I talked about not MTB so called fenders with such minimal coverage. I talked about theirs road bike full coverage fenders.
Despite designation for "road" or "TOURING" bike they sure can be used for shocks and MTB . THERE IS NO REASON THEY WILL NOT WORK FOR mtb
MC

You gotta remember, 12 bucks. The front fender covers the entire rear of the tire with a gentle flare to catch the water and extends three or four inches forward of the forks, the rear fender attaches to the main tube the seat tube fits in and extends past my pannier baskets to the rear.

This afternoon coming back from the golf course one of the streets was flooded from a broken sprinkler. I went through at 25 mph and my feet stayed dry, the front and back of my shirt stayed dry and there was NO water visible on the frame.

That is all I want from any fenders. Plus they are plastic, flat black so you don't even know they are there and make no noise. Good enough for me.

Could they be bigger? Sure. They fit my 26" wheel with a big slick on it pretty good, would fit a smaller wheel even better.

Mike

You gotta remember, 12 bucks.

$12 !!!! That's highway robbery! I made a fender out of a metal tie and duct tape for $0.50. It keeps the spray at bay I bet just as effectively as your overpriced haute plastic job. :wink:

Duct Tape!!! I shoulda known. I'm embarrassed. The bad part is I got a "T" shirt for my birthday last year. It's a beautiful gray shirt with a roll of duct tape in the center and labeled "Duct Tape Pro". Who knows I may even have had it on when I put those high end fenders on.

I do have a brand new roll of "Gorilla" brand duct tape, black. Maybe I should go ahead and cover the plastic right away.

Mike

Wait. The "Gorilla" duct tape costs more than the fenders.

:lol:

Now this is what I call applying yourself:

0708714_KaseyKazeetape.jpg

http://www.katu.com/home/video/9153486.html
ASHLAND, W.Va. - Police in a small West Virginia town say they have arrested a suspect wanted for attempting to rob a liquor store.

Nothing too unusual there, except police say their man is the "Duct Tape Bandit."

The suspect, identified as Kasey Kazee, was photographed with his head wrapped in gray duct tape wound so tight police say he had a hard time breathing.

But Kazee says he's not the less-than-notorious villain. In a soliloquy part rap and part performance art, Kazee asks viewers to "do the math" about whether he is the unusually masked man.

Police say they have done their homework and that the liquor store owner held the suspect until they arrived and that they have pictures of officers unwrapping the duct tape and revealing Kazee.

Kazee faces attempted robbery charges.

Back