---Preparions for the winter---

Doctorbass

100 GW
What do you usually mod or prepare on your ebike for the winter?

:twisted:
4018657_v1_m56577569830526572.jpg

Doc

Recently added plastic-backed nylon covers for the battery boxes. :)

Everything else has been pretty well waterproofed too, with silicon glue. Only for a few days each year during the dead of winter here does the temperature remain below freezing, or the snow accrue. So after waterproofing, there's nothing else to do.

img_2431_118.jpg

For winter I dig my long pants out of the closet and find the gloves with fingers in them. Oh, my coat. I have a coat and I wear it in the winter cause it gets downright chilly sometimes. We almost had a frost last year and did have one a couple of years ago.
Mike

I find a nice cozy place in the living room to park my bike and work on it all winter long.. :lol:

-20 celcius * without wind-chill factor .. just don't apeal to me much.. gulp.

Had a layer of frost on the ground on wednesday, the leaves will soon start to turn.. I will ride until snow hits but then it's Bus to work until the snow/salt is gone.. :(

Ypedal said:
-20 celcius * without wind-chill factor .. just don't apeal to me much.. gulp.
I will ride until snow hits but then it's Bus to work until the snow/salt is gone.. :(

Bus? Yuck. Busses are for kids & kommunists. :wink:

You need a motorized, semi-enclosed pedal trike or quad to use during the winter; and those clothes with built-in electric heating elements. :)

I looked -20 Celsius up! That means -4 in real degrees. That is below ZERO in real degrees. That also is near the temp the TV show "Ice Road Truckers" is filmed in.

All of a sudden I won't feel so bad having to wear long pants and the truth of the matter is the gloves with the fingers in are easier to take on and off. I would think the golf ball would shatter if I hit it at -4 degrees (-20 Celsius) but then again I ain't never going to find out. Praise God for that.

Goodness gracious. May God have mercy on you.

Mike

I lower the seat down as far as it'll go so my feet can touch the ground while riding (in case of black ice).I've been out there riding in -20c many times...Tuque,mittens and a heavy coat. As long as there's no ice or snow on the road I'll ride.

Eric

TylerDurden said:
Ice, snow, cold... no problemo; but wet/slushy sux.

:?

:) I totally agree with that... wet cloth make you feel the cold

Ypedal said:
-20 celcius * without wind-chill factor .. just don't apeal to me much.. gulp. :(

Kin I check your passport to make sur yer Canadian? :D
We have a dry cold here so I guess you can be forgiven.

Used to be that I'd only get that 'razor-blade dragged across the knuckles' sensation past minus 40*C. Starting to feel it now around minus 30. The miracle of old age & slowing blood circulation.

This past winter riding around at neg 25*C my nimh pack had about half it's normal range & lost 5mph off its top speed. At that temp my High-Power charger flashed yellow out of temp range refusing to start. I left it plugged in anyway & was surprised to find that every day it got filled another 20% just by trickle charging. After about a week the light turned green & the pack was fully charged up ready to go. Didn't make a habit of doing that, normally take it inside if it's colder than -20, but it was nice to discover that it could if I really needed to.

Winter? We don't have winter anymore.

Coupla days ago I was out in the garden in shorts and no T shirt - in Winter.

And it doesn't rain here anymore...been about 10 years it seems.

Getting very worrying. If winter is warm and mild...summer is going to be terrifying... :shock:

Mark_A_W said:
Winter? We don't have winter anymore.

Coupla days ago I was out in the garden in shorts and no T shirt - in Winter.

And it doesn't rain here anymore...been about 10 years it seems.

If you think about which nation stands to benefit the most from global warming, it becomes apparent the Canadians are the ones actually responsible for the mess the rest of us are in now, not U.S. SUV drivers. In ten years, our quiet, innocent-acting friends to the North will be sitting pretty on a huge mass of prime tropical property. Their Prime Minister is making claims on the Arctic already. Two plus two baby, two plus two. :D

Yeah, it's the Canucks and Greenlanders.

Actually, Greenland's been warm and inhabited once before - a few hundred years ago IIRC.

it becomes apparent the Canadians are the ones actually responsible for the mess the rest of us are in now, not U.S. SUV drivers.

Could you explain?... maybe not totally the SUV are responsible, but the coal power plant of the US give us alot of acid rain here. maybe we do some mess, but certainly not more than the US !

In ten years, our quiet, innocent-acting friends to the North will be sitting pretty on a huge mass of prime tropical property

maybe... but in 20, 30 or 50 years, that will be us that will be the most affected negatively about temperature rise!...

Their Prime Minister is making claims on the Arctic already. Two plus two baby, two plus two.

I dont like our prime minister decision about climatic change. I dont like Harper. :evil:

I think if some would talk about climatic changes they should start another topic. please let's return to the original subect!

Doc

Doctorbass said:
it becomes apparent the Canadians are the ones actually responsible for the mess the rest of us are in now, not U.S. SUV drivers.

Could you explain?...

I was kidding -- it was just a little satire.

:wink:

Ok then..!

I live near Toronto, and there is a great store. It is called Mountain Co-op. They sell all sorts of winter cycling gear, even to cover your feet. As long as I am water proof I am pretty warm,

Whats the preferred waterproofing for the rainy season, silicone on the controller or glue gun? I just glued mine because it is convenient.

Any other opinions?

Johnbear said:
Whats the preferred waterproofing for the rainy season, silicone on the controller or glue gun? I just glued mine because it is convenient.

Any other opinions?

I prefer silicon because it's cheap and widely available, seals well, stays supple, isn't affected by heat, and yet is easy to peel off and reapply when the inside of the sealed item must be accessed.

Eric G said:
...I've been out there riding in -20c many times...As long as there's no ice or snow on the road I'll ride.

Eric

Hi Eric,

What about your motor do you bring inside after your ride in??

Cause I've read that if you park it outside somewhere the magnetss are going to crack due to the quick temp change!

efreak

I also read here somewhere that you should try to avoid days that are high on sleath and that kind of junk on the road because of its effects on all the nooks a crannies that are hard to get get cleaned properly.

efreak

Hi efreak
The bike & motor are allways stored indoors at the bottom of the stairs where the temp is around 10 degrees C (50 f) during the winter months. The batteries are kept upstairs where the temp is around 20 degrees C (68 f) in winter. I don't cruise around in winter months,I ride to get to where I need to be then back. :wink:

Eric

It appear by reading your comments, that i will need to use wax, more silicone, grease, and more protection cover on my ebike if i would like to ride during the storm and when we get 1 ft of snow on the road :twisted:

A quick list to check before going outdoor in winter during storm in ebike:

-put grease and oil on any place i can
-wax all the exposed surfaces to the snow on my ebike to avoid it to stay on the ebike
- having the special 336 carbide studdeds winther tire for ebike(see: http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp)
-having battery fully charged to 86V and set the current limit to 60A
- having good life insurances :lol:

Doc

Doctorbass said:
-having battery fully charged to 86V and set the current limit to 60A
- having good life insurances :lol:

Doc

Who gets your ebike when you die? :wink:

Back