Drill powered bike anyone?

Geebee

1 kW
This is a link to a drill powered bike does 15 mph and 2-6 mile range on a standard drill :).
http://www.dpxsystems.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=184
don't miss checking out the video of it in action.

I'd like to try that with roller skates, and the batteries in a backpack. :)

hahah thats awesome :)

DPX seem to specalise in very short geared things running off drills :p

xyster said:

You could probably use a flexible shaft drive and keep the drill inside the backpack. :wink:

Attachments

• FlexibleShaft.jpg
    FlexibleShaft.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,372
fechter said:
xyster said:

You could probably use a flexible shaft drive and keep the drill inside the backpack. :wink:

OMG, that'd be sooooo cool! :D

I'd love to see some kind of roller shoes. Basically a normal looking, if slightly larger pair of trainers with a flip out electric powered roller. I imagine the person first makes such a thing wil become very rich and the people will love them so much that governments will try to make them illegal. 8)

NickF23 said:
I'd love to see some kind of roller shoes. Basically a normal looking, if slightly larger pair of trainers with a flip out electric powered roller. I imagine the person first makes such a thing wil become very rich and the people will love them so much that governments will try to make them illegal. 8)

I was thinking of chopping up a motorized skateboard and fitting the result to hiking boots. The undercarriage with the wheels could be detached and placed inside the backpack for normal walking. Or, a plastic cover for the bottom of the skates could be clipped-on, creating oversized platform shoes for walking.

xyster said:
I was thinking of chopping up a motorized skateboard and fitting the result to hiking boots. The undercarriage with the wheels could be detached and placed inside the backpack for normal walking. Or, a plastic cover for the bottom of the skates could be clipped-on, creating oversized platform shoes for walking.

Sounds fun. I remember ScottC from on the old forum managed to make a 500 watt ebike drive under 1lb using a tiny RC motor and worm drive. Now we have a123 cells there nothing really stopping anyone making something very small, light and powerful that propels people quickly in unexpected ways. Bring on the electric revolution! :D

I mean this in the kindest of contexts.. But Gawd you guys really are a bunch of NERDS!!!!!!!! I am trying to imagine this conversation taking place in front of a bunch of women you were trying to impress....

Having said that.. From Experience. Those flex tubes and the angle adapters generate a lot of heat and therefore would be a bit inefficient for this application.

chicks like guys that can dance i'm sure u could pull some funky moves usin them :)

sabrewalt said:
I mean this in the kindest of contexts.. But Gawd you guys really are a bunch of NERDS!!!!!!!! I am trying to imagine this conversation taking place in front of a bunch of women you were trying to impress....
Laff if you must, but if you wanna see the ladies' heads turn: zip through Central Park on your rollerblades and LiPo driven baby-jogger... the kids will squeal with glee and every hottie-mommy in a sports-bra will want your phone number.

8)

TylerDurden said:
sabrewalt said:
Laff if you must, but if you wanna see the ladies' heads turn: zip through Central Park on your rollerblades and LiPo driven baby-jogger... the kids will squeal with glee and every hottie-mommy in a sports-bra will want your phone number.

8)

I think Sabrewalt is right. Apparently we've scared away (perhaps with boredom) the only female member I remember: BrendaEM. But you know, this is an EV forum where geeks of any gender or whatever go to be geeks, not a nightclub where people go to pretend they're something they're not (cool).

NickF23 said:
Sounds fun. I remember ScottC from on the old forum managed to make a 500 watt ebike drive under 1lb using a tiny RC motor and worm drive. Now we have a123 cells there nothing really stopping anyone making something very small, light and powerful that propels people quickly in unexpected ways. Bring on the electric revolution! :D

Thats me and I am still around:)

I have had to drop everything in order to bolster finances - tinkering only costs money! I now have a job doing maintenance at a big new distribution facility - get to manage 50 or so electric vehicles (mostly forks!) as part of the job:)

I do have a 6.5KW motor now, have had for a good few months. Having some significant difficulty making a compact/quiet(efficient)/reliable/cheap gearbox to drop the 15,000rpm down to something sensible.

Trike work stalled months ago - though we move home soon so I will have dedicated garden space for it:) It's damn annoying actually, the design is complete, the model prototype worked a treat and the shell is mostly complete yet I have nowhere to work on it!:(

Scott

Back