EZip Basics ... Electric Bike or Electric Assist Bike

DrkAngel

1 GW
EZip - IZip Trailz! The EZip is a great deal. Let me expound on its capabilities, potentials and limitations.

First, I would like to assign definitions.

Ebike - Electric Bike - A bicycle style vehicle, designed to be powered by an electric motor.

EAbike - Electric Assist Bike - A bicycle, modified by adding an electric motor, to assist the pedal power of the rider.

Hybrid - Bicycle, designed to be powered by pedal or motor or both.

I have put almost 12,000 miles on my various EZips, trying many different modifications and enhancements.

In its oem form, I would rate them as:
"poor" Ebike - "fair" acceleration, 7 mile range
"good" EAbike - "very good" acceleration, 15 mile range; dependent on "assist"
"good" hybrid - great, for the price, loses points due to excessive weight as "bike"

Great deal, as any of the above, based solely on price.

Basic performance tips:

1. Inflate tire to maximum recommended inflation pressure.
2. Pedal assist getting up to speed, and on hills.
3. Begin coasting well before you have to stop, Stop signs etc.

OEM battery Tips:

1. Do not deeply discharge battery.
2. Recharge battery immediately after use.

Upgrades:

Re-gearing for higher speed.
Replaced the 20T motor side freewheel with a 16T. This mod increased speed from 16mph to 20 mph. Cost of parts $20.

Battery upgrade 36v:
Upgraded to 36v. Speed increases almost 50%, from 16mph to, nearly, 24mph. I have run 2 different bikes with no motor modifications, for 3000 miles each, with no problems! Probably due to these factors:
1. I always pedal assist getting "up to speed".
2. I tend to cruise at the "legal" 20mph, rather than "full throttle" 24mph.
3. Always pedal assist on hills, and resist full throttle.
Unfortunately, presently available bikes require replacement of the 24v controller, also. I recommend replacing the throttle with one that matches the new 36v controller.

25.9v Lithium-Ion battery:
2 great advantages are small size-weight and great capacity - range!
Uses OEM 24v controller, as tested on 2 bikes.
Drawback is price, unless you "scavenge" your cells.
Also, seems adversely affected by cold, restricted discharge rate.

DrkAngel said:
Battery upgrade 36v:
Upgraded to 36v. Speed increases almost 50%, from 16mph to, nearly, 24mph. I have run 2 different bikes with no motor modifications, for 3000 miles each, with no problems!
I think you said the controller of pre-2008 (2007 and before) EZip are capable of 36v operation, is that correct? But more importantly, how does one know the birth year of the bike if bought used. Most likely the owner does not know it either. So, are there visual clues? serial numbers? or what?

When the opportunity presents itself, I intent to buy a cheap used one to try with a 10s laptop 18650 battery. Hopefully the higher speed, the lighter weight will erase the bad image I had when I tried the EZip about 5 years ago. I know the imbalance will still be there, but hopefully will be countered by the 10lbs or so of Lipo on the other side. Of course, there's nothing I can do about the noise.

SamTexas said:
DrkAngel said:
Battery upgrade 36v:
Upgraded to 36v. Speed increases almost 50%, from 16mph to, nearly, 24mph. I have run 2 different bikes with no motor modifications, for 3000 miles each, with no problems!
I think you said the controller of pre-2008 (2007 and before) EZip are capable of 36v operation, is that correct? But more importantly, how does one know the birth year of the bike if bought used. Most likely the owner does not know it either. So, are there visual clues? serial numbers? or what?

When the opportunity presents itself, I intent to buy a cheap used one to try with a 10s laptop 18650 battery. Hopefully the higher speed, the lighter weight will erase the bad image I had when I tried the EZip about 5 years ago. I know the imbalance will still be there, but hopefully will be countered by the 10lbs or so of Lipo on the other side. Of course, there's nothing I can do about the noise.
2008 EZip Mountain Trailz (Blue) support 36V, 2 for 2. My 2008 Trailz (Black) did not.

Wait! ... Just double checked!
With the 36V (compatible), inside rack, there is a white PAS module.
With the 24V, the white PAS module is integrated in the controller.
This must have been the 36V compatibility "break point".
Easy, presumed reliable, indicator.

36V has been reliable, (3000 miles +),for me, but I typically run as an electric assist bike, assisting the motor.
As an "eaBike" I recommend the 34-11T freewheel-sprocket upgrade, otherwise you run out of "pedal" about 20 mph.
Even more important, if you, also, add the 16T mod - which allows 30 mph with heavy assist, or drafting.

Oh! ... humping along at 30 mph, wind whipping past your ears ... can't really hear the motor noise ...

Great! When you get a chance can you post a picture of the 36V "white PAS module?" That would make my search much easier.

PAS module is right-Center.
I forgot what the black module, next to it, was for.
PASmod.JPG

Link to pics & parts for all EZip models
Helps identify year,36V compatibility etc.

Back