Making motor mounts

see the metal plate above the red arrows? Motor to mount there with sprocket on chain.
oldcontrollerlocationxo2.png

motormountgh4.png

This particular project I was going to bend the 4 ends of the 2 motor mount rods but they snap, so that's out.

In this particular case, I can’t see where the motor really goes. Does it go ontop of the swing arm or below?

I use flat bars when making a bracket because you can bend it and drill it at will. So whatever plans you’ve had bending the bolts, you can do with flat bars instead by bolting them on the motor first, then on the frame.

If you could place the motor in position and take a pic, that would help us imagine a bracket.

:idea:

Here a bad pohotoshop

basically where the controller used to be
(notice you see the plate not the motor on this side. Motor is to front side of bike of that plate

I see,

- Just get some 1 inch flat bar
- Bend in a square U shape to the length of the motor
- Mark and drill the holes for the bolts of the motor, and for the mounting plate on the bike.
- Drill holes in the bike plate

So,

There is a total of 2 U brackets.
Each bracket has 4 holes. 2 for the motor and 2 for the existing plate on the bike.

Or,

Make only 1 U bracket, that will hold both bolts on both sides.

If you do that, you will have to make holes in the bracket for the shaft of the motor. Let me know if you want a drawing of that model.

* The yellow things are bolts, the red is the flat bars.
The brackets are made in 1 piece each (just bend them by hand).

Lessss said:
Anyone got any ideas or pics to share.

Got a unite 1020MY to mount, need inspiration.

Lessss, I'm very partial to angle iron when it comes to these types of things. I actually started mounting one of these motors using some 35mm angle but decided not to use the motor at this stage for that particular project. It's easy enough to do though, a drill and hacksaw are the only tools you need.

I normally weld the angle to something, but you could bolt it. I have used exhaust clamps to mount angle to round pipe when I didn't want it welded on.

This is a bit of angle attached to a much bigger bit of angle but I think you get the idea:

mount_spacer_frontview.jpg

This is a mount for a different motor that I hacked out with a hacksaw and a dremel.

mount_closeup.jpg

The mount for the MY1020 was simpler, just two holes and a U shaped cutout in one side for the shaft to protrude through. It would have needed clearance on the other side of the angle for the sprocket too, but like I said, I changed my mind before I got that far.

Good luck with it anyway.

Back