Tucson Death Race 2011 roll call. Results on page 1

dogman dan

1 PW
Looks like the Death race is back this spring for sure. The date is set, April 16th, a saturday. 5 pm pit gates open to the motorized bikes, other racing earlier.

The following day, the GABA spring bike swap is freaking huge! Three city blocks of street sale, everything from cherry vintage to prime deals on used stuff, and lots of nos parts too. http://www.bikegaba.org/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=icalrepeat.detail&evid=1264&Itemid=27&year=2011&month=04&day=17&uid=1262124021evt60&catids=55

So who's building a racer? Who's wanting to come? Who's definitely coming unless in Jail?

I defintiely want a trophy, so I'm there for sure!

If we can count on enough guys for a real race, like maybe 6 or more, I can get some inexpensive trophies bought for an electric class for the first 3 finsihers on Ebikes.

So far, we have pretty strong interest from...

Edit. For those not interested in 30+ pages. Here's the results.

Dogman
Crashed in a heat race, then got a flat tire plus let the magic smoke out of motor in the main event. Bruised body, smashed camera, really bruised ego. Video of the crash on Youtube here.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Dogman5018?feature=mhum#p/a/u/0/kpGg26gUV-8

Live For Physics
Smoked a motor before even leaving home. Rode last minuite build that had the worst handling in the world except for amberwolfs bike. Smoked another motor in the heat race. Pedaled borrowed 20 mph bike with a watermellon eating grin to finish in the main event.

Thud
Had the gassers crapping thier pants pulling 50 mph wheelies in practice laps. Smoked a motor in the heat race. Smoked the last remaining motor in the main event. Still grinned like a chesire cat all night.

Amberwolf
Made last minuite changes to the bike that made it the #1 worlds worst handling bike. Crashed in a heat race, badly injuring his ankle. Still trophied, because nobody else brought a recumbent bike this time. Hope he's healing well, gruesome pics in the post race pages.

So Sauty
Got mechanical problems resulting from factory defect in belt drive.

Wineboyrider
Rode 36v daily commuter to 2nd place finish in ebike class in the main event. Uh oh, another one hooked on racing now I bet.

Evoforce
Couldn't arrive in time to the race for some reason. Rode daily commuter bike with style in one heat. Ran out of battery in nearly the last lap of main event due to short recharge time between the last heat and the main.

Etard
Another one that suffered a breakdown. Huge torqe sucked his derailur into the spokes of his rear wheel.

John in CR sounds pretty interested.

Paul D. I was not aware he was coming.
Paul showed up with a RC motor bike with secret battery chemistry capable of 44 mph on the kart track. :shock: Took first place by following the fastest local rider for most of the main event, letting the expert show him the fast line around his local track for 10 laps. :idea: 8) . Then in the last few laps, blew the local riders bike away for the win. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8) 8) Make no mistake about it, that was an incredible display of rider skill, on the only fast ebike to not go down in flames or otherwise breakdown. Perfect build + perfect ride. Way to go Paul! You own the fastest motorized bike in North America bragging rights for the next year, plus history making first winner of the Death Race on an electric bike

Too funny watching them award the additional prize for the 1st place overall finsih. He won a brand new gasoline 2 stroke motor. :lol: The look on guys faces as they gawked at his bike was priceless. "We got beat by a motor the size of a soup can?" they were thinking. The gasoline motor guys, who are VERY fast, just couldn't belive it!

To make it extra cool, Paul drove to the race in a hybrid car. :mrgreen:

That's enough to make it worth buying some trophies for electric class champions to take home.

dogman said:
Who's definitely coming unless in Jail?

I will break out of jail to make it this year if needed.

I don't work for MS anymore, so getting days off is a non-issue for me now. :)

Be afraid. :twisted:

All right! make us afraid! But do practice, because that track can be a bear. Gotta link hundreds of perfect corners to win. Gonna be cool to see you do it.

No weight limit, so bring it. :twisted:

liveforphysics said:
dogman said:
Who's definitely coming unless in Jail?

I will break out of jail to make it this year if needed.

I don't work for MS anymore, so getting days off is a non-issue for me now. :)

Be afraid. :twisted:

LoL... Luke, you know you will need a running e-bike right? :mrgreen:

Good luck DoGMaNz think you might have a lil e-bike competition this year though ;)

KiM

AussieJester said:
LoL... Luke, you know you will need a running e-bike right? :mrgreen:

Ohh crap! I bet Amberwolf will have a back-up bike that runs I can borrow. ;) ;) ;) :p

I'm actually thinking about making a 1-off bike build just for this race, and then giving it to Amberwolf after winning the event with it so I don't have to have it shipped back to CA.

And Dogman, I assume you will be able to receive racebikes getting mailed in for the folks who are planning to fly rather than drive?

You betcha. I could carry at least 4 bikes on and in the subaru, and if needed I have a light trailer. Those flying could ship lipo to me also, and ship it back to themselves on monday after the race. I can store stuff for next year for folks too. Got the garages pretty packed, but there is still hang space.

You know I am coming....& I am coming 3 PISTOLS STRONG.
I am not building for the: Panzy, slow, no range, tree-huging, flower-sniffing, limp-wristed E-bike class either.

I will bring a FULL 1000 watts of POWER. (oh yes...be very afraid) Thats the LAW after all LMAO!

But seriously. I am comeing with some e-bikes & a pr. of gassers as practice bikes (or for the race should my ellectric fumblings let me down again). Thud will be mixing it up on the track.....

Solicitaion: ON

ATTENTION POTENTIAL SPONCERS:
You have a rare oportunity to be assosiated with a history setting movment that will reap huge positive publicity for your company/brand.
We at team Thud could use a:
Battery sponcer
Tire sponcer
General finaceir
A better team name....

Team Thud is a grass roots movment, open to all, for the advancment of Self reliance & Ultimate sustainability.
(I know--contradictory!)
But if any one wants to be on the team, your on. Anyone who would like to help out can buy a 6cell 5000mah NANOTECH pack & send it to the team for use at the event....they can be returned after the event...or would you perfer a t-shirt/polo Team shirt comemerating you contribution to the effort?
Any support is highly apreciated & will get you Huge Karma points. This trip will be my 1st vacation away from home in a long while...but the economy & rising fuel costs are going to be substantial for this American boy, living the bigest dream the bottom rung of middle class can afford.

Solicitation OFF.

I will be driving to & from the event from Michigan..so if anyone wants to organize a caravan, or get picked up along the way
lets organize soon.

Even if you guys have no interest in the actual elbow throwing dog fight this event will be...You should make this event for the custom bike show & meet up with all us kooks.
The raceing crowd (any racing crowd) is the most wholesome & down to earth folks you will ever meet..Real "give the shirt off their back" type people.
Touscon is shaping up to tbe the "Sturgis" for powerd Bikes....
Tiberious....this is your best bet for Garrenteed action.
Thud #40.......get some.

No weight limit (probably for the last time) along with owning the fastest street legal ebike in the world kinda forces my attendance. Lot's of irons in the fire though, so I've gotta have a firm date to make any commitment.

BTW, what are the rules? 2 wheels only, or can a trike compete?

John

Here is the thread where the striagt dope can be found & if anything changes it will be in this thread 1st:
http://motorbicycling.com/f35/death-race-2011-a-26743.html

John in CR said:
2 wheels only, or can a trike compete?
Trikes have been in it before, so I dont' see why not. I'd go for a leaning trike, though, to make those turns at best speed. :)

liveforphysics said:
Ohh crap! I bet Amberwolf will have a back-up bike that runs I can borrow. ;) ;) ;) :p
Sure, I'll bring the little Velcro Eclipse with a Fusin on it. :p Perhaps with my SLA-powered radiator-fan-rollerskate-wheel friction drive on it. :lol:

Or, more seriously, DayGlo Avenger. With that box on the left side, you can still make good turns with it, since they're all right turns, I think. Pack that box with LiPo (it'll hold a LOT), and stick your favorite controller in the frame, and a nice 9C or whatever wheel in front or back with torque arms, and you have a chance at winning, assuming you can learn to ride with the leftside weight (it's really easy and you forget it's even there after a short while). You might have to bring some better tires, though, because the ones on it aren't all that great for grip in turns.

I'm probably just bringing CrazyBike2 myself, hopefully with a gearshifting drivetrain but with a hubmotor as backup. I'll see if I can pack all my batteries on there, hopefully it'll have enough range to finish at least a few laps at those power levels. I know I won't win with the speeds I can do on it with my skills, but it should be fun to run anyway. :)

If I can finish one of the other CB2 offshoot ideas I'll bring that, too, but I am not all that hopeful.

Of course, that's assuming a carpool down can be organized like for the Undead Race. I still have one vacation day left at work, so if it is possible to schedule for it far enough in advance, I can possibly stay overnight if that turns out to make carpool possible, depending on costs.

liveforphysics said:
I don't work for MS anymore,
Oh? Get tired of being dicked around with? ;)

amberwolf said:
John in CR said:
2 wheels only, or can a trike compete?
Trikes have been in it before, so I dont' see why not. I'd go for a leaning trike, though, to make those turns at best speed. :)

Of course it would be a leaner. I don't have enough time anyway, but I can hear the whining already..."That's a gokart, not a bike." If I make the trip I don't want to have to hear any excuses, so I'll save the trike build for some kind of distance challenge. :mrgreen:

Ohh crap! I bet Amberwolf will have a back-up bike that runs I can borrow.

You can borrow one of mine too if you need. Count me in Dogman, but you know the deal I need a ride over to LC. Maybe, we can borrow my dad's trailer and haul my bikes over for the race. :D

You guys within driving distance should ride your bikes there. These aren't like gasser race machines that break down in regular transportation use. If I was within 1 state of distance I'd definitely have to ebike it there with a big cruiser and a trailer.

Me too if it weren't for that pesky work.

If you can get away for two nights, we can do something where you come with me Wineboy. Get you here the night before, drive there race day, then likely spend one night in a cheap motel in Benson.

Get those trophies Dogmanz. Can't believe I trekked out there last Oct, did my best to convince you I'd be there again in April, and you left me off the 1st list :!: I've got dibbs on No#55; bringing my hobby racing Luke eating Astro3210 Schwinn. If he laps everybody then burns down last lap, it'll add a little drama :wink:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=22908
In that thread, Etard said,
Yep, I'll be there, already got the thumbs up from the missus. We will be bringIng a trailer full of toys, plan on doing some backwoods exploring on quads dirtbikes and mt bikes after race weekend. Hopefully I will have the direct drive Avanti dirtjumper in full effect. It will be Colossus powered with HV110 and a sensorless (maybe sensored) 6 Fet from JRH, with 12S lipo. If that's not going, I'll just putt around with my hub motored GT
So Etard & Katou are possible/likely e-racers.

Noticed that the 1st weekend in April is taken by some regular racing club, so mid to late April likely. (Sat April 16 set!)

I've volunteered to set up some fix-it-yourself tri-tip sandwiches if it doesn't get in the way of concessions wanting to make a buck.

Gentlemen and e-bikers, what do 'ya think of e-bikers taking up a little pot for the racer who travels the furthest (?Thud) :?:

April huh? Alright, I see what I can get together as far as a sponsored battery pack.

The pack would be A123's probably soldered together with nice thick 10 awg solid wire.

Should I see about 24v 10 ah subpacks that could be ganged together? What would be a good pack size here?

Don't count on me until I say you can, but I will make some effort to get something together.

But please, tell me what you want!

Katou

ps. Thud, where exactly in Michigan would you be starting from?

katou said:
....sponsored battery pack....But please, tell me what you want!....

Katou

:idea: :idea: :idea: The sponsor to provide battery packs to use for the racing for anyone willing to sport the sponsors logo. A few cycles is nothing in terms of the pack lives, and I'm sure some of us will want to purchase the packs as well. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

John

katou said:
The pack would be A123's probably soldered together with nice thick 10 awg solid wire.

I think he is looking for a performance battery solution.

AKA, Nano-Tech's or other high-C rate LiPo.

If you can get away for two nights, we can do something where you come with me Wineboy. Get you here the night before, drive there race day, then likely spend one night in a cheap motel in Benson.

Wineboyrider has a very flexible schedule. I am not in it to win anything just for fun!

let me know when the dates are for sure and I'm 90% sure I'll go....yippeee.

John in CR said:
You guys within driving distance should ride your bikes there.
If I had a lightweight generator to run the bike on the way down, and a few days off work before and after (in case stuff went wrong so I could fix it and still get back to work on time), as well as someone I could trust with the dogs, I'd actually like to do that.

But lacking the above, I can still do an overnight stay if I have to (and can get the right day off work) but I would need to get back as quick as possible, cuz there'll be some hungry dogs awaitin'. :lol: Still don't think I could ride down there, though; it'd be at least 12 hours one way, assuming no problems and no stops for anything, being limited to 20MPH in this state.

Added to the list of guys intending to show up SoSauty and Wineboyrider. :mrgreen: I thought I'd seen a build thread that looked racy, and the way you kept grinning I knew you had fun SoSauty. :D But stuff happens, plans change. Also would expect Evoforce to come, but haven't had him chime in yet.

Looks like not only a great E-bike turnout this year, but enough for a real race among us. At this point the plan is to race in the regular death race, and do our own scoring for finishing places in the electric class. So we are racing the gassers, and each other in the same final heat. Whoever does the scoring for the E race will have to do it from a distance, since only track personell are allowed on the track. Insurance. By the last lap, somebody is likely to be clearly in 1st place. If you win the Death Race, then you'd get two trophies of course.

I know that the Nano Lipo would be best, but I can't get that stuff cheap enough to sponsor a racer!

Oh well. Anyway, it's not at all certain that I will be even able to do that. I'm just throwing it out there so that you can tell me what size to make the packs IF I can get enough.

IF...

Katou

Extra battery just for guys to use in the preliminary heats and practice laps would be a big help.

I'm squared away with enough lipo for two heats, but riding practice laps means farting around with charging instead of yakking with the guys.

I think a lot of us will have bikes running something in the 72v range, so one 72v 10 ah would definitely be a good starting point. That would get you through the main death race, on a bike using 2500 watts or so. If not with bms, then at least some kind of low voltage warning would be good, even if it was just a few extra andersons a voltmeter could be plugged into. My setup will be above CA voltage, so that's going to be my plan, mount a voltmeter on the dash instead of a CA.

A nice 72v A123 battery would sure make a good prize to race for!

Looks like the date is April 16th. Saturday.

Is there a possibility that the majority of E-bike racers from ES could settle on a standard battery choice? I don't want to try to limit anyone from their preferred choice, but...

If a particular racer had a bike breakdown halfway through the various heats, having the same size and type of battery means the breakdown bike could loan their batteries to those still in competition, with the certainty that the size will fit in the battery box, and the performance will be the same as the batteries used to develop the loanee bike?

I was thinking that with several LiPo bricks in a pack, the 25C-LiPo 'might' be good enough as far as discharge capability, or...perhaps the ultra-high C-rate LiPos could be charged-up faster between races?

Anyways, I had planned to make a donation to ES soon, since the ES-stickers are now almost all gone, and the thought just occurred to me that (if nobody objects) I could use that money to purchase a single LiPo brick (shipped to Dogman) to be used by any of the ES participants that has need of it? A few cycles to break-in, test, and race with will not hurt its life...and after the death-race, that particular brick can THEN be sold, and the proceeds donated to ES.

If Thud, Dogman, and LFP could also agree on a connector type, all of the LiPo and chargers at the race will inter-connect as needed.

edit: to be clear, if you are all using nano-tech LiPo, I am committing to paying for one of those. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11941

Back