Next project : Trike recumbent tadpole ? KMX cobra, Typhoon?

Doctorbass

100 GW
Well.. you know me.. I always want more about ebikes 8)

The trikes are really attractive due to the different feeling of the road and the stability compared to two wheel.

After i watched this video and manty others i think i really need one!! !!

[youtube]2piFwh1rpSM[/youtube]

The KMX cobra seem one of the best for offroad and appear to be tough...?

kmx_cobra.JPG

Any recomendations?

Doc

Looks fun to ride.
Speaking of stability, it seems easy to flip it upside down. I guess I'd want it to be leaning, for stability.

I forget you guys aren't all riding trikes, when I think high powered hub motor my mind just assumes it's behind a pair of wheels capable of holding a drift. And when it comes to snow/ice stability, forgetaboutit

You want a KMX. Cobra is nice, but many of the upgrades aren't needed for electric. You want a model with 16 front wheels (typhoon) for best on road performance (cornering, lower to road).... But for off road you want 20" front (cobra) for ground clearance. Frames are same, but cobra has higher strength steel

Seat sucks though. Not too bad for 1/2 hour a day of fun, anymore than that and youll feel it. I removed the crappy foam and replaced it with 1.5" memory foam plus .75" of gym mat foam which helped a lot, but it needs a whole new seat IMHO. It's an easy platform to upgrade

But you might want to look at a terratrike rover. I have 2 kmxs and will be getting a rover next instead of another (friend smashed one into tree at 45 mph).....better seat, higher up for road use, straight chain line, easy seat adjust, and the handlebars look better for bike accessories

Our ES member recumpence is the one better answer the kmx question. He is hardcore and best. I think he is the one sells KMX Cobra. He built OVERKILL NASTY kmx so FAST like rocket motor!

Keep me post if your going building a e-kmx and count me in!!! I have been watching recumpence's overkill kmx and wanted build one for myself! :twisted: :lol:

Very nice!
[youtube]GCJp4tU4TE4[/youtube]

Doc-

Can I suggest? Since I know you live in Canada and why not get velcomobile. Why I asked because of your weather. Velcomobile can do all round weather due it has the canopy over your head. Worry free about rainy, snowing Nd it will keep you dry all the time.

Just idea, I don't know if they are legally in Canada or in US America. I would love have one and slap nasty powerful motor. I mean velcomobile is basically an kmx with shield protecting your head and body. Maybe I am wrong. Let me know!! :)

Let us know what you decide to build! I am very curious too! 8)

I would have given the Berserker consideration for my trike but it was too wide to fit through our doorway. Also 5 grand + is a lot of money!
otherDoc

After watching that video I finally understand why Mat added width to the front of his yellow trike.

Stephen

greenerwheels has a kmx cobra with a hub motor on it and he says it is a real hoot and a half. Still haven't got a chance to ride it myself but apparently yeah, drifting is possible with the way the front brakes are set up, and apparently the cornering is nothing short of amazing.

And yes, falling off is a reality.. lol.
Nonetheless, it seems like the closest thing to a road legal hopped up golf cart i've heard of. Do want.

I too am building an e-trike.

The drive will be "ultra" 3220 astro drive from Matt - it is being built as we speak :)
I got convinced to get a full suspension trike for off-road, although the 1000EUR price of KMX Typhoon is a big temptation.

Now I am very close to make a deal with Thomas on Steintrike Mungo trike who has kindly agreed to integrate the rear part of frame with the drive. Apart from otherdoc, it seems that nobody here has a Steini..?

Hey Doc! Good luck with your build. I'm sure it will be a good project. I bought a catrike pocket in 05 and in early 2010 I motorized it with a 750 watt hub motor. I am pleased. I feel the best value is in the catrike brand. Very well made with customer support like Justin at ebike. Look at their models and find one that fits your body. I'd prefer a suspended trike but I wasn't ready for the price. It is critical to avoid weight too high and too far aft. I mounted my batteries in boxes on the chain stays. The bottom of the boxes are about a 1/4" higher than the lowest point of the derailer. That is the final location as I originally felt I could put them where they looked good. Keep the weight low and forward. I've seen pictures of Matt's work, including a catrike, and I've talked with him. My guess is his work is top notch. Good luck on the build.

I absolutely agree with Ebent about avoiding weight high and to the rear on any tadpole trike. It made the handling really bad compared to going central and low , even with just 18 lbs of batteries. For the KMX you should locate batteries unde the seat like the FFR folks in Pennsylvania do. They build some fast KMX's.
otherDoc

wojtek said:

The drive will be "ultra" 3220 astro drive from Matt - it is being built as we speak :)
I got convinced to get a full suspension trike for off-road, although the 1000EUR price of KMX Typhoon is a big temptation.

Now I am very close to make a deal with Thomas on Steintrike Mungo trike who has kindly agreed to integrate the rear part of frame with the drive. Apart from otherdoc, it seems that nobody here has a Steini..?
You won't regret the choice, wojtek! The Mungo is a bit wider than my Mad Max so it should corner better and have slightly more suspension travel. Good luck with your project.
otherDoc

docnjoj said:
wojtek said:

You won't regret the choice, wojtek! The Mungo is a bit wider than my Mad Max so it should corner better and have slightly more suspension travel. Good luck with your project.
otherDoc

over 3800EUR with some basic extras and customisation to 3220 drive!!! probably worth the money but try to explain this to my wife.
She will probably electro-execute me with the very battery im building for this project!

I'm old so I just consider my Steintrike my Korfu condo, my Ferrari 265 GTB and my 18 year old mistress all rolled into one. Oh yeah, I finally had to get my wife a new Ebike too. She was not impressed with my imaginary mistress. Steintrikes are really built to last, so someday one of your grandkids can end up with it.
otherDoc

so Doc, which direction are you going with your build - any decisions yet ??? :mrgreen:

Hmmm Still not.. i must talk to some trikes brand rep here in Quebec and i'll see... I think importing a trike would cost way too much!!

Doc

I really am starting to sound like I work for Steintrikes but I don't. There is a guy in Maine who sells them and you can get a frame kit for a decent savings! It's Wildfire HPV in some small town. Has a good website, though. I vaguely remember Maine used to be near Canada, Doc!
otherDoc

otherdoc,
Do you know the cost of the Steintrike frame package and the cost completed less motor? Nice machine, no doubt. On the cost consideration side the Catrike villager is the lowest. But the frame just as good as their best trike. The cost is lower based on components. Good luck.

Back