newbie needs help with kit install

Timbo

10 W
G'day E-bikers!

I'm new to this & have struck some wierdness with a kit I'm trying to install. It seems like the motor is not centered on the axle or the axle is bent or both of these things. I've attached a bunch of photos that are pretty self explanatory. The wheel that was removed prior to this adventure sat dead centre & ran true so I'm sure it's not a problem with the forks........ The new wheel & hub look to be trued pretty well, but could be a bit egg shaped :roll: , but that another thing........

Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to the forum, your problem looks bad but is easy to fix by what I can see.

a) the motor too close to one fork: just slip a washer or two in-between, to give desired clearance. Or get different designed fork with drop-out brazed flush to inside, they're available secondhand, I know because I bought one :)
b) the non centered wheel can be fixed by dishing the wheel slightly. A bike shop will true & dish the wheeel for about $20.

Hope that helps, and good luck with the new set-up.

recumbent said:
a) the motor too close to one fork: just slip a washer or two in-between, to give desired clearance. Or get different designed fork with drop-out brazed flush to inside, they're available secondhand, I know because I bought one :)
b) the non centered wheel can be fixed by dishing the wheel slightly. A bike shop will true & dish the wheeel for about $20. quote]

The solution seems manageable, so that's a relief. I bought the kit locally so I'll see about the supplier paying for or carrying out the dishing. I'll look into alternative forks too. I'm a bit concerned about CMolly and torque issues.....

fechter said:
What kind of motor is that?

motor is from Electric Vehicles Pty Ltd, an offshoot of Currie down here in the Antipodes. Here's a link to their site:

http://www.currietech.com.au/index.shtml?openmenu=

They have some very cool stuff, esp this Li3 kit. Total weight for battery, motor & double walled alloy rim is just 7kg! Fitted to my old Giant Innova, the whole thing should weigh in at 22-23kg.

Despite Ausssie regulatios limiting output to 200 watts it's a sweet unit capapble of around 35km/hr. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 700c rims and my low weight (55kg) will push the speed out a bit more......[/url]

Hi

Yes the wheel is out, who built the wheel? hmm? bad! you dont need to dish a front wheel? odd, anyway yes a washer would do and you could even bend the forks I have seen 5mm safely opened up, however it may be easier and safer to get it dished, also you mention its not true across the rim, egg shaped? sounds like its been poorly built.

The motor is a tonxgin, I have one in the cupboard nice little motor, it wont set the world alight though so I hope that you are not too disappointed, also be careful as high power on those can strip the internal planetary gears, under 500W you should be ok. They are the same as the Nano motor as supplied by http://nano-motor.co.uk/index.php
Good luck with the motor and wheel though, you could do a whole lot worse for your first rig, you will soon be getting an X5 or a Puma and running KW! ha ha

I just checked where you got your motor from! ha ha, "Knoxfield Head" he he 8)

Cheers

Knoxie

Hi Tim and Endless spheriums,

If you've been following my threads you might remember i wrote about a motor i rode that was at the legal limit? well this is the motor / kit.

Tim you won't get over 30kph at 36v on this motor(without peddling). Did you test ride the bike at their knox store before purchasing it?

Did you purchase it at knox or St kilda?

I'd probably take it to the St Kilda store (or a bike shop) for dishing. My friend has a scooter in there at the moment for a 1200w motor retrofit.

Big thanks to knoxie - i always wondered who actually made that motor, its not too bad a little motor, just a tad slow for my liking!

edit whoops thats a new motor they sell - i rode the old one.

Perhaps two motors are called for... 8)

(Hay: I believe that's "sphereoids"... like "hemorrhoids")

:D

Knoxie,
Apparently one of the motors they sell is the Puma!
The one I got from them is called a BF, or something similar.
can't find any info on this one, except its the same motor as used on the PowerPed Sherpa.
so if anyone knows anything about this motor, I would appreciate it!

We've been through this before. It's not a puma, it's the same manufacturer, but custom wound - well, the 200w version anyway. Now they sell the Tongxin motor instead.

The 500w version would be interesting, but pricey.

All their bits are 2-5x what they'reworth.

I got the same thumb throttle as their $70 one for $20 from Brett.

And my 48v 17amp controller was $35. Theirs is $200.

You can buy my motor and Lithium pack + charger for $900 including everything. I suspect the Lithium battery is identical. It's the same size, weight, voltage, Ah and max current.

I know they have to pay their overheads, but sheesh. The kit price is ok, but the bits individually are exorbitant.

Anyway, for DIYers their stuff is $$$. But for ready to go, legal, their Dodsun Lithium looks pretty good.

BiGH said:
Hi Tim and Endless spheriums,

If you've been following my threads you might remember i wrote about a motor i rode that was at the legal limit? well this is the motor / kit.

Tim you won't get over 30kph at 36v on this motor(without peddling). Did you test ride the bike at their knox store before purchasing it?

Did you purchase it at knox or St kilda?

I'd probably take it to the St Kilda store (or a bike shop) for dishing. My friend has a scooter in there at the moment for a 1200w motor retrofit.

Big thanks to knoxie - i always wondered who actually made that motor, its not too bad a little motor, just a tad slow for my liking!

edit whoops thats a new motor they sell - i rode the old one.

BigH,

I test rode the Dodsun at Knox - laps of the carpark without the benefit of a speedo or any knowledge of how other products perform. It seemed pretty sweet to me. I looked at getting a kit directly from China from several places but decided that access to aftersales service was worth the extra dollars - especially since I'm new to this & learning as I go. Also decided to stay within the 200 watt limit. So far I'm happy with that decision - EV have showed a willingness to standby their product & put things right. Sometimes things go wrong, but if a problem is fixed quickly without complaint, I'm happy.

Well, I finally finished the installation yesterday. The wheel is still slightly off centre but there is an improvement. I'll take it to a bike shop to have it checked out proffessionally. Adjusted the brakes to operate correctly with the offset & haven't noticed any handling problems......

Did a quick course in metalurgy & discovered my forks are steel (chrome molly) so no need for an upgrade. Used washers to gain adequate clearance for the motor.

Initial (12hr) charge - .4 kW/h - $0.07 green electricity - no emissions :D

Covered 43 km yesterday: Chadstone - Moorabbin - Chadstone - Blackburn - Chadstone. Mixture of road & bike path including some twisty gravel sections. Still had power from battery

Average speed 27km/hr - this was sitting a bit higher earlier in the day but dropped back as the last 10km were at night

Top speed 48.5km/hr - 95% of riding was pedal assisted

Possible problem with charger - green LED extinguished itself 8 hours in to the second charge (3 x 12 hr charges recommended initially)

I'll post some pics sometime over the next couple of days. Thanks for all the help & advice......

hey tim thats great!
just wait until you start replacing the car on your commutes! :)

The savings just mount up so fast! factoring in petrol parking and oil in oil changes (not labour) i've already saved $116.73 - in about two months. The car now only gets driven if its pooring with rain!

LOL, you big girl Haydon. You can't stop a little water from letting you ride. :roll:

Rain, hail or shine, I ride the ebike to work everyday now. We don't need the second car anymore really. :D

Timbo, what's your max speed on the flat no pedalling, no wind?
And hurry up with those pics will ya?

BiGH said:
The car now only gets driven if its pooring with rain!

Which happens how often now in Australia?

About 3 times a year (or about a quarter of what it used to when I was a kid..).

yeah i know i am, rain just isn't as fun! Glad u can ride daily honey :)

Mark_A_W said:
Timbo, what's your max speed on the flat no pedalling, no wind?
And hurry up with those pics will ya?

Pic's posted to photo forum

I'll have to find a flat road on a windfree day sometime next week - I'm guessing around 33km/h

If it's 33kmh, it ain't legal :wink:

28 or so would be legal, depending on your weight, and the number of sockets in a Sidchrome Socket Set.

Mark_A_W said:
If it's 33kmh, it ain't legal :wink:

28 or so would be legal, depending on your weight, and the number of sockets in a Sidchrome Socket Set.

Well, if it ain't legal then it must be less........

Back