Pikes Peak Race--Entering?

Nimbuzz

1 kW
Is anyone at ES planning to enter the ebike section of the Pikes Peak hill climb 8/28/11?

Is there any plan that we could chip in to help cover expenses for an entrant or two?

http://www.ridepikespeak.com/Assault_2011.1/Home.html

It's a battle of speed and endurance open to all comers on one of
the steepest, longest mountain climbs in America - 24.5 miles, climbing over
7,700 feet at an average grade of 6.7% and maximum 10.5%, finishing at the
summit - an elevation of 14,110 feet.
For the electric bikes, it's a contest for both riders, builders and manufacturers, where even making it to the top is a victory. Riders must manage power usage, keeping an eye on State Of Charge yet still try and keep in front of the next guy, racing up a monstrous mountain.
So with Optibike ready to defend their title, the question is can a big hub bike like the Stealth Bomber or a custom homebuilt make it up all the way? Can it beat the Opti?

What on Earth are you talking about? I have no idea.

An ebike race is a "big mistake" ?! Very strange indeed

Well...as an optibike "ambassador" and an optibike fan and owner...I would think you would want optibike to hang on to their title. :oops:

Its like showing up to an NBA all star game and bragging about a slam dunk contest they are having in china or something....and saying stuff like "those chinese are the best slam dunkers ever, and there is a 100,000 cash prize and who would like to try and strip them of their title."

These just aren't the guys you want showing up to your hill climb race if your a title holder. You may have just shot a giant bullet towards opti..bigger one than i ever shot.

By the way Al why dont you bring that opti of yours to our hill climb on May 14th http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27113&start=60

Honestly we would really like to have some opti's there...and should win the "stock class" no problem...unless a stealth shows up.

extreme, you should probably think a bit more before you knee jerk respond to posts. You haven't been following what people have been saying to you. One example--Craig said bring on all comers--that's the idea--to test all the ebikes in a single test. He said to you (and me) "When the green flag drops the BS stops"

Don't water down this thread with a bunch of guff. The idea is quite simple and replies should be pertinent. Let's get Dr Bass and his like to the race and see how it stacks up--that's the whole point of the race. It's easy for Opti to get a bike there so let's help some ES guys cover expenses. It's been done here before that they raised money for a member.

Do you really hold the strange view that Opti needs to be protected from competition to retain the title and that the title would have meaning if all challengers couldn't compete? If so you should probably ask more questions, learn to listen to the answers and think it through a bit.

All relevant ebikes should get a chance at the race--that's the whole idea!! Out of all the possible motors, batteries, controllers, frames and etc let's identify the best of the best ebike technology for the good of all.

Nimbuzz said:
So with Optibike ready to defend their title, the question is can a big hub bike like the Stealth Bomber or a custom homebuilt make it up all the way? Can it beat the Opti?

Is this a joke?

Or trying to bait-in some powerful ebikes to make the trip to Colorado? :) :mrgreen:

Nimbuzz said:
extreme, you should probably think a bit more before you knee jerk respond to posts. You haven't been following what people have been saying to you. One example--Craig said bring on all comers--that's the idea--to test all the ebikes in a single test. He said to you (and me) "When the green flag drops the BS stops"

Don't water down this thread with a bunch of guff. The idea is quite simple and replies should be pertinent. Let's get Dr Bass and his like to the race and see how it stacks up--that's the whole point of the race. It's easy for Opti to get a bike there so let's help some ES guys cover expenses. It's been done here before that they raised money for a member.

Do you really hold the strange view that Opti needs to be protected from competition to retain the title and that the title would have meaning if all challengers couldn't compete? If so you should probably ask more questions, learn to listen to the answers and think it through a bit.

All relevant ebikes should get a chance at the race--that's the whole idea!! Out of all the possible motors, batteries, controllers, frames and etc let's identify the best of the best ebike technology for the good of all.

Ok i agree!

Lets drop the BS and get some guys there!

I am sure Matt might come with his yellow tapole...that thing will be like a formula one car running pikes...i talked to him this morning and he does 40mph up uphill corners pulling like 1g.... what did opti average last year in that race 12mph?

Here here! Count me in i will be there...and i will egg on physics and methods see if they will carpool...got a bike rack that holds 4 bikes and a mini van.

Lets all come together and meet at pikes!! Great idea...

<<< Is this a joke? >>>
No, not a joke--that's commonly known as 'a question'

Do you have an answer?

A race is also a question--Who will win? I personally have absolutely no idea who will win. But I think Pikes Peak is a very good place to see current ebike technology put to the test. I do know that I'd love to see Dr Bass and other ES creations demonstrate their accomplishments in such a solid venue.

Nimbuzz said:
<<< Is this a joke? >>>
No, not a joke--that's commonly known as 'a question'

Do you have an answer?

A race is also a question--Who will win? I personally have absolutely no idea who will win. But I think Pikes Peak is a very good place to see current ebike technology put to the test. I do know that I'd love to see Dr Bass and other ES creations demonstrate their accomplishments in such a solid venue.

Considering we have many home-built bikes with more than 5-10x the power and 5x the battery of an opti-bike, I think it's conceivable that we could find something here that could make it up a wee bit faster than an opti-bike. ;)

I'm not even sure but there is an ebike contingent running. It's 'unlimited' as far as I know.
Look here;
http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc

Damn that guy. Nimbuzz...

What a putz. He flooded this stuff over from the optigroups....he bragged that he issued a challenge to the ES homebuild guys. Nimbuzz you deserve to lose your "opti ambassador" badge over this one. Craig is going to ream your ass....i am surprised if he is not ringing your phone right now yelling "DELETE THREAD! DELETE THREAD!

These guys are pure evil over here...

As an american i was really rooting for opti to hang on to their back yard title...

The fact is there are no limits at all to that race..no weight limits...no watt limits...nothing.

Its like woody allen said...98 percent of success is showing up.

Just the big question is if one of the ES guys will get hurt ripping around those corners on bicycle wheels at 50mph.

It's going to be a tough challenge for any DIY ebike. I for one will be watching to see who reigns again this year. GM uses that road to test out their cars performance climbing ability. I climbed that hill with a snowboard about a 3-4 hour climb on foot and took a direct a path as possible. It’s a long ass climb and the elevation will get you winded if you intend to pedal, so those not use to it will be relying mostly on the motor to do the work. The main problem will be carrying enough batteries and not burning up the equipment while doing it.

If Optibike was smart, they would throw in one of there non-legal bikes just to be sure.

extremegreenmachine said:
Craig is going to ream your ass....i am surprised if he is not ringing your phone right now yelling "DELETE THREAD! DELETE THREAD!
A vendor would never try to influence public comment.

This is a very simple encouragement to compete and show some of the ES ebikes' amazing and relevant accomplishments. Where else are these accomplishments demonstrated or showcased? (oh oh, I asked a simple question!)

Nimbuzz said:
This is a very simple encouragement to compete and show some of the ES ebikes' amazing and relevant accomplishments. Where else are these accomplishments demonstrated or showcased? (oh oh, I asked a simple question!)

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27113

...ya heard?!

Last year pikes peak had 6 ebikes and 2 were optis...in my mind not even a contest.

I suspect the SF Hill Climb will have at least 30 ebikes.

thenate, I heard that this year the race is up and back down the course--I don't know why this isn't on their site. Maybe it isn't true as this would be a completely different animal.

This is on my "Bucket" list.... Isn't there a substantial entry fee?

If I read section 7 correctly we are already at the $850 etry fee level. :(
(what does 1st place in the E-bike hillclimb pay?)

Or am i missing something? is there a "special" amature run up the hill for Fun & braging rights?

I originaly intended to charge up on a 650cc Yamaha twin flat tracker...some day. I did drive up the hill back in 78' on a family vacation. No big deal. :mrgreen: (other than the car coughing its guts out at altitude)
T

Nimbuzz said:
Is anyone at ES planning to enter the ebike section of the Pikes Peak hill climb 6/26/11?

Is there any plan that we could chip in to help cover expenses for an entrant or two?

http://www.usacracing.com/ppihc

You know maybe nimbuzz is a whole lot slyer than i am giving him credit for.

I think this is actually an opti ambassador trying to sabotage the Endless SPhere gang....

Really sick he is trying to get us in with the big moto where we kill ourselves and come in last place.

The real race that opti always claims king of the hill on is bicycle only with an unlimited electric bike class in August:

http://www.ridepikespeak.com/Assault_2011.1/Home.html

I hate to do that to opti...but nimbuzz is really trying to sabotage and sabotage to the ES gang i will not stand for.

He almost had physics banging his head against the gassers etc...i mean physics is evil...but he doesnt deserve to do a hill climb against gassers.

Nimbuzz is simply an opti ambassader who was leading you guys to a slaughter...he is like a dog that nimbuzz.

You know guys...i may have just dodged for you a bullet fired from the opti leadership. I can imagine Jim Turner right this minute slamming his desk as he reads my post going ....damn! Almost got em!

This was there revenge plan for all of Tylers verbal proddings.

It almost worked but i just saved ya all.

You guys almost fell for it!!! I heard physics was researching plane tickets.

The real pickin's are in August....a much friendlier fun event...a type of event one could win by just showing up :wink:

Wow, extreme really has a screw loose--the fantasies are quite prolific. I've never seen anything like it.

I did have the wrong link and appreciate the correction.

Back