hi-powercycles

slacker

10 kW
looking at hi-powercycles sale on bmc geared motors .i am thinking about buying the v-3 motor for 349.00.not sure about which controller to purchase?have heard conflicting reports about hi-power and bmc and would appreciate all opinions.good buy or not.will be installing in my surly big dummy as i bent the rim of my bl-36 in a crash last fall.also like idea of rear motor as it is more stealth as the police in minnesota are e-bike unfriendly.sale ends friday so all thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated.thanks to all.

50 amps is cool until you suffer a total meltdown in 100 miles :)
Stick to 35amp, IMHO.

There are lots of threads about this.

if no one here jumps in to give u a 1st hand account then i'd suggest getting in touch w/ 1 of 2 people either LYEN here on ES who sells a gr8 controller and has experience w/ bmc motors or Ilia from ebikessf.com who sells bmc motors & controllers. Good Luck

neptronix: thank you and would a infineon 20amp controller work alright? newb:thanks for the contact info,i am totally addicted to this forum and ebikes in general,you all have been a fountain of information.thanks.

20amp would work but you need a special infineon controller with the BMC / MAC geared hub motors.
So you need to get one from the vendor that's selling you the BMC / MAC motor.

But i recommend 25 amps. 20 is pretty weak.

I run a BMC V3 on one my spare bike. When I bought it I was told that you should only use BMC controllers. But I blew up my BMC controller, and now I run a Lyen 12 Fet. http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17683&hilit=extreme+modder

Works like a charm, and that way I can program the controller as I like.

But as I said, I personally like having my Lyen 12 Fet, with a Cycle Analyst direct plug in attached, that way you can even limit your amps on the fly.

I agree with what Neptronix says about watching your amps, they are notorously easy to cook. But if you get the hub from Hi Power cycles I think they upgrade the phase wires for you is that right?

Anyway, I have been running both 36v and 48V on my BMC V3 @ 40amps for over 6 months without issue (I blew up my BMC controller because I plugged it in reverse polarity one day). I just stripped down my hub the other day and the gears are fine. Having said that, my BMC is my spare ebike, and I have probably only put maybe 300km on it total, and when I do it is basically as a spare commuter. My phase wires do get hot at that current, and I can see why people say it might get too hot on a really long hill, but as I said, have been running 40amps without issue so far.

Best of luck.

Back