Xyster virus is catching

With the help of several forum members, despite some charger issues, my new LiPO4 pack is up and running and delivering excellent performance thus far.

But the LiPO4 pack is in one single bulky package and not in the handy split arrangement my SLA's were. This resulted in a difficult mounting situation behind the seat and centered over a rack rather than either side the way the SLA's mounted.

Mostly this also meant there was no weather protection and a little rain would have likely been disastrous. Hopefully I'll either build a custom case myself or search for a plastic container of some sort at Wally World but in the meantime I needed something. This is Florida and even though it's not the rainy season it still rains and I still get caught in it.

So using a priority mail shipping box I covered it with tin foil to make it water proof and then Xysterized it to make it weather proof. It will certainly last until I get something else perhaps more attractive. Then again I kinda like the stealth appearance it presents.

Mike

Attachments

• bike battery 002.jpg
    bike battery 002.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,540
Cover everything with 1/4" of dirt and you got yerself a bullseye.

You could even ride in my hood without gettin jumped.

mvadventure said:
So using a priority mail shipping box I covered it with tin foil to make it water proof and then Xysterized it to make it weather proof. It will certainly last until I get something else perhaps more attractive. Then again I kinda like the stealth appearance it presents.

Mike

Looks fantastic, Mike. "Xyster virus"... :roll: :D

Rise of the undead... :?

Get yo butt down to Walmart and buy a Chinese plastic toolbox or large Tupperware container... :wink:

That looks dangerous; I used to use that same rear basket (from electricrider, yes?) and to mount a battery pack on top of it like that, I had to use a bunch of velcro tape straps. The pack will lift up on all sorts of bumps, and when it does, it will slide. That elastic cord looks useless and I don't see the duct tape being at all strong enough to hold it to the basket firmly.

Then again, I had 55 lbs of SLA back there, which exacerbates the problems more than a lighter pack would.

Point well taken. Since the original posting things have changed and will evolve further. Even then though I used some sections of garden hose as a shock absorber and used wire ties to secure the battery to the basket. This enabled the duct taped box to serve only as weather protection.

Since then the box has been relegated to routine storage tasks and has been replaced with the cooler. At initial installation I made a rigid base for the cooler and drilled a series of holes so I could mount it with wire ties to the saddlebag frame, again utilizing the garden hose shock absorbers. That has been working quite well, is secure and provides a respectable level of waterproof, especially since I treated it with a waterproofing chemical.

However; never being willing to leave well enough alone, I anticipate yet another modification after I get to the hardware store. I'll make a new hardwood base, drill more holes but this time mount it with SS "U" bolts. Rather than use the garden hose I'll cut a piece of kapok from an unused PFD (life vest) to fit the bottom of the cooler to act as a shock absorber.

The good news is there is no rush. Getting the battery into the cooler is a two person job as there is NO clearance and I mistakingly though it would be best to put the wires in the back. Mistake, need to turn the battery around anyway but will wait 'till I get the U bolts.

Initially I planned on mounting the controller to the front of the cooler, under the seat. After mounting it there it became obvious that regardless of how I tried to keep it dry it would get soaked in a heavy rain. It would be neater but would get wet. At the moment it's in one of the saddlebags and wrapped in a plastic bag. Combining heat dissipation and weatherproofing is proving to be a challenge but I'm working on it.

Mike

Attachments

• PB300089.JPG
    PB300089.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,274
You might want to pad the pack & bms in a manner that protects them from the eventual falling of the bike. I have never seen a bike (not hog) that didn't land on its side at least once. Especially since so much weight is up high.

I know you're very careful, but stuff happens.

Back