Turn Signals

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
oldpiper
1 kW
1 kW

Re: Turn Signals

Post by oldpiper » Tue May 17, 2011 2:27 pm

stanz wrote:
oldpiper wrote: Not so hard. I'm at the moment using a pair of Q5's rated @ 240 lumens for my headlights:
Cameron
Cameron,

Are those headlights bright enough to drive by?

stan
They're bright enough for me. However, when I'm driving at night, it's on a reasonable street (no 50 mph traffic, I'm not going 50 mph, either), not through the woods at warp speed. Of course, once you have something, you do start pining away for the upgrade - first to wire it to a 5V DC/DC coming off my batts, then to 400 lumens +++. Next time, I think I may just get the LED mounted in a reflector and set up my own voltage/current regulator (won't have to cycle through the "bright - half - blinking" modes every time I turn it on).

Cameron
Schwinn StingRay OCC XL, front AmpedBikes DD hubmotor, 37V, 10 Ah Lipo

"If it jams-force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway."
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."

stanz
100 W
100 W

Post by stanz » Tue May 17, 2011 2:47 pm

I found a pair on ebay, ouch $45 for a pair:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-4-Led- ... 256218e42f
I like pie.

sangesf
10 kW
10 kW

Post by sangesf » Tue May 17, 2011 3:18 pm

Look for these keywords...
4" Led Arrow Turn /Tail Light

And you'll see them..
Just make sure you pick the correct colors you want... There is amber and red.
If you get the ones without the grommets and pigtails (unneeded) then it's $35 a pair..
They are a bit pricy, but they're easily seen during the day, and annoyingly bright at night!

stanz
100 W
100 W

Post by stanz » Tue May 17, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks,

I found them and put a bid on a set. I was going to order from his website but the shipping is $10.95 on the website and $5.95 on ebay.

I can never understand that one. You'd think he'd charge less since there's no ebay fees!
I like pie.

sangesf
10 kW
10 kW

Post by sangesf » Tue May 17, 2011 4:24 pm

They are sealed, so no issues with weather on these..
I received them in 3 days after payment. And they are awesome!!!
I just need to figure a better front facing diectional light system.. Right now it's just a couple of amber 2" rectangled 20w incandescent lights..
Any ideas?

stanz
100 W
100 W

Post by stanz » Tue May 17, 2011 4:46 pm

sangesf wrote:They are sealed, so no issues with weather on these..
I just need to figure a better front facing diectional light system.. Right now it's just a couple of amber 2" rectangled 20w incandescent lights..
Any ideas?
I'm not that worried about front lights but I would use scooter or motorcycle lights up front.

Are you using the full light for braking or just the arrow portion?
I like pie.

sangesf
10 kW
10 kW

Post by sangesf » Tue May 17, 2011 5:00 pm

stanz wrote:
sangesf wrote:They are sealed, so no issues with weather on these..
Any ideas?
I'm not that worried about front lights but I would use scooter or motorcycle lights up front.

Are you using the full light for braking or just the arrow portion?
As you could see in my video, I already have a rear/stop light (the end of that video was me hitting the brakes..
So I'm only using them for arrows...
In Florida they want want red rear lights, not amber..

I figured since every car and motorcycle uses red running/stop lights and amber turn signals, that I'd do the same.

stanz
100 W
100 W

Post by stanz » Thu May 19, 2011 12:33 pm

So, I'm at Tractor Supply Company looking for a portable shed to hide my popup trailer. (My neighbor complained to the town so I gotta cover it.)

I come across these lights on the shelf with a "try me" button on them. They are annoyingly bright for $17 or a complete trailer wiring kit for under $40:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/trailers-t ... de-1683178

I don't see the round light for $17 on the website, sorry.
I like pie.

stanz
100 W
100 W

Post by stanz » Thu May 19, 2011 12:43 pm

The seller accepted my offer, I have a set of the arrow lights on the way for $35.94 including Priority Mail shipping.

Now I need to figure out how to integrate the stoplight function into my brake levers while not compromising their ability to function with my controller...
I like pie.

sangesf
10 kW
10 kW

Post by sangesf » Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 pm

stanz wrote:The seller accepted my offer, I have a set of the arrow lights on the way for $35.94 including Priority Mail shipping.

Now I need to figure out how to integrate the stoplight function into my brake levers while not compromising their ability to function with my controller...
They way to do it is to have TWO electric brake lines..
One for the cutoff/regen to the controller.
Second one for the brake light..
(I have a 12v lifepo4 system to run my accessories, so all I had to do was run the negative side to negative on the battery and the "brake function line" to one wire on the ebrake line and the other line to 12v+, so when you hit the brake, the circuit is completed)

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Fri May 20, 2011 1:35 am

stanz wrote:Now I need to figure out how to integrate the stoplight function into my brake levers while not compromising their ability to function with my controller...
Relay. See my DayGlo Avenger thread, probably somewhere around page 8? About where I was wiring in my turn signals/brake lights after getting the Fusin kit on it.

stanz
100 W
100 W

Post by stanz » Sat May 21, 2011 11:41 am

WOW, what a seller! I ordered my lights Thursday and received them Saturday ... and they went from CA to MA! (That's across the USA.)

Here's his ebay link: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/a.wholesale ... rom=&_ipg=

The lights are plenty bright, interestingly they draw more current in "arrow" mode .14a, versus .06a in brake mode. The arrow mode requires a relay which I assume disables the LEDs not needed to make the shape.
I like pie.

amberwolf
100 GW
100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Sat May 21, 2011 2:53 pm

If the LEDs of the arrow are brighter than the brake light (so you can still see the flashing arrow while holding your brakes at a light/etc.), then that'd be why they draw more current.

Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense. If it were caused by a "ballast" resistor to help normal thermal flashers for incandescents to work, it'd be a lot more current htan that, closer to an amp or two, probably.

Soime of the lights they have there are interesting.

sangesf
10 kW
10 kW

Post by sangesf » Sat May 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Told you they shipped fast and were bright enough :)
Yes, the arrow functions draw more amps to make them brighter then the stop/running light function.
So are you goin to buy a relay or do a on/off/on type thing?

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sun May 22, 2011 12:31 pm

I searched a long time to find a stylish rear taillight and signals. This is what I am doing with my ebike; the mods will be applied when I switch over to a dual-controller in a couple of weeks – which in turn will require completely new harnesses for ebike and etrailer.

Parts List:
  1. At the top of the image is the original version of the Kapsco Rear Tail Light before modification. This is a 3-in-one light: Running light (red), license plate illumination (white), and Brake Light (red). My plan is to put black tape over the license plate light, although it might be possible to disable the circuit with some disassembly.
  2. Just below is the modified Kapsco Rear Tail Light assembly. I removed the light from the mounting bracket, bend the sides over 90° and relaxed the 45° bend – all to match with my rear rack on the present ebike (P1). Bending flakes the paint off so I chipped all the loose bits away and repainted with what I had available (Hi-Temp flat black). After two coats, I applied urethane to the regions that will make contact with the rear rack to assuage vibration, inhibit metal-to-metal contact, and keep it from slipping. The fitting has been tested; it works. :)
  3. Next, I added the PlanetBolts Turn Signal Blinker to each side. This completes the assembly more or less. A total of five wires will be required:
    • GND, Left, Right, Running, Brake.
  4. That takes care of the Rear assembly. For the front, I will use the Kuryakyn P-Clamps and mount them to my front shocks. There’s room there even when the shock is fully compressed for the mounting. I had to file down the inside because the fit was tighter than I expected and the clamp would not close enough. I’d use a Dremel or a drill with a cylindrical rasp or grinding bit to remove the excess ridges. I didn’t have bluing ink so I used a red fatty-tipped marker and colored the inside of the clamp. Next, I rubbed a bit of residue from the rim brake onto the shock, closed the clamp down on it and rotated to find the high and low points, then kept grinding away till I had a solid fit all around and the clamp could close properly. Finally, I applied a small bead of urethane on the inside for the same reasons as the Rear Taillight assembly. This has been test fitted and it works. Adding the PlanetBolts Turn Signal Blinker completes the assembly.
Notes:
  1. I bought two sets of the PlanetBolts Turn Signal Blinkers for front and rear. Then went out and bought one more pair along with the Kapsco Rear Tail Light for the eTrailer I am constructing.
  2. Inspect the parts: One of the PlanetBolts Turn Signal Blinker posts was galvanized to the nut and the stud pulled out when I tried to disassemble it (see lower left corner of the image). There’s a 7-day return policy and by the time I discovered the issue the time had expired. That said, I still think they are a good low-profile design that doesn’t weight a lot and is modestly aerodynamic.
  3. One last note - I swapped out the nuts that came with PlanetBolts to Nylon-Insert Hex Locknuts; this removed the need for the lock washer which is important for the front mounting because the P-Clamps take up a lot of stud length.
Perhaps I should make this a separate review. <shugs>
Anyways – enjoy; hope this helps! KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

sangesf
10 kW
10 kW

Post by sangesf » Sun May 22, 2011 2:10 pm

Pictures when attached to the bicycle would be appreciated...
:)

stanz
100 W
100 W

Post by stanz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:01 pm

I just ordered a Lyen DC to DC converter to go from my 36V power pack to 12V for the rear lights.

I also mounted my paniers yesterday so I now have a place to mount them. I may extend the paniers up for the lights for better visibility.

Yes, pictures and circuit description will follow once I get it going.
I like pie.

TonyReynolds
1 kW
1 kW

Post by TonyReynolds » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:03 am

I just checked out the Winkku lights/mirrors from UK. They're back in stock and nice (a little big), but unfortunately they're also expensive: $98 shipped (to Seattle) at current exchange rates.

http://www.winkku.co.uk/index.php

Tony
Third Build: 2012 Marin Muirwoods 4130 Cromoly, 7 speed 11/32 with 500/1000W MAC geared rear motor, 48V System, 52V, 11.5Ah 16s5p A123 lifepo4 triangle battery, DP CA; 20-30+ MPH... GRIN! Build Thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... =3&t=33819
cell_man... Supplier of A123 Cells and MAC Hub Motors: http://www.emissions-free.com/id47.html

Timelord
10 mW
10 mW

Post by Timelord » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:58 pm

I don't need anything as bright as what you guys want, but I've been thinking about putting a self-contained turn signal on my handlebar (left signal only; no lectures about signalling right turns, please). I use Nitto Promenade-style handlebars, so the end would be facing to the rear. What I'd like is maybe a AA red LED flashlight that I can stuff into the end of the handlebar, a little recessed for better visibility in sunlight, with a flash rate similar to regular turn signals. Drill a small hole in the handlebar and run an external switch to turn it on and off, maybe momentary contact so it's essentially self-cancelling when I release it. Haven't been able to find an LED flashlight with the right flash rate, though. I suppose I can just keep pushing the momentary contact switch to flash it manually, but that seems like a lot of trouble.

I've seen ready-made ones like the Sunlite signal grips, but I don't like the idea of being locked into their grip and it probably isn't very bright, either.

BLUESTREAK
10 kW
10 kW

Post by BLUESTREAK » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:08 pm

Sorry I'v been away and missed this thread but if you need good stuff go to ( WWW.HEETERS.COM). :D :D

Kingfish
10 GW
10 GW

Post by Kingfish » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Kingfish wrote:I searched a long time to find a stylish rear taillight and signals. This is what I am doing with my ebike; the mods will be applied when I switch over to a dual-controller in a couple of weeks – which in turn will require completely new harnesses for ebike and etrailer.

Parts List:
  1. At the top of the image is the original version of the Kapsco Rear Tail Light before modification. This is a 3-in-one light: Running light (red), license plate illumination (white), and Brake Light (red). My plan is to put black tape over the license plate light, although it might be possible to disable the circuit with some disassembly.
  2. Just below is the modified Kapsco Rear Tail Light assembly. I removed the light from the mounting bracket, bend the sides over 90° and relaxed the 45° bend – all to match with my rear rack on the present ebike (P1). Bending flakes the paint off so I chipped all the loose bits away and repainted with what I had available (Hi-Temp flat black). After two coats, I applied urethane to the regions that will make contact with the rear rack to assuage vibration, inhibit metal-to-metal contact, and keep it from slipping. The fitting has been tested; it works. :)
  3. Next, I added the PlanetBolts Turn Signal Blinker to each side. This completes the assembly more or less. A total of five wires will be required:
    • GND, Left, Right, Running, Brake.
  4. That takes care of the Rear assembly. For the front, I will use the Kuryakyn P-Clamps and mount them to my front shocks. There’s room there even when the shock is fully compressed for the mounting. I had to file down the inside because the fit was tighter than I expected and the clamp would not close enough. I’d use a Dremel or a drill with a cylindrical rasp or grinding bit to remove the excess ridges. I didn’t have bluing ink so I used a red fatty-tipped marker and colored the inside of the clamp. Next, I rubbed a bit of residue from the rim brake onto the shock, closed the clamp down on it and rotated to find the high and low points, then kept grinding away till I had a solid fit all around and the clamp could close properly. Finally, I applied a small bead of urethane on the inside for the same reasons as the Rear Taillight assembly. This has been test fitted and it works. Adding the PlanetBolts Turn Signal Blinker completes the assembly.
Notes:
  1. I bought two sets of the PlanetBolts Turn Signal Blinkers for front and rear. Then went out and bought one more pair along with the Kapsco Rear Tail Light for the eTrailer I am constructing.
  2. Inspect the parts: One of the PlanetBolts Turn Signal Blinker posts was galvanized to the nut and the stud pulled out when I tried to disassemble it (see lower left corner of the image). There’s a 7-day return policy and by the time I discovered the issue the time had expired. That said, I still think they are a good low-profile design that doesn’t weight a lot and is modestly aerodynamic.
  3. One last note - I swapped out the nuts that came with PlanetBolts to Nylon-Insert Hex Locknuts; this removed the need for the lock washer which is important for the front mounting because the P-Clamps take up a lot of stud length.
Perhaps I should make this a separate review. <shugs>
Anyways – enjoy; hope this helps! KF
sangesf wrote:Pictures when attached to the bicycle would be appreciated...
:)
Apologies - I finally got around to taking a couple of pics. And again I apologize for having a filthy bike; our weather has gone south on us this um... month. Awe heck - who am I kidding; it always rains here :roll: :lol:

This is what the rear taillight & indicator assembly looks like in daylight. The left-side indicator is illuminated. The apperatus extending from the rear rack is my Diametric Coriolis Inductive Regenerator :wink:

This is what it looks like in dim light. The taillight is much more red than the picture presents. It also has a row of white LEDs facing down for license-plate illumination, however I have that window covered-over with black electrical tape.

The indicators break away from the mountings if they are struck, and it's not a problem to remount them. Overall the assembly is a little bit on the low-budget side of quality, but it works and is effective at communicating to other drivers my intensions; no one has honked at me in over 3,000 miles - except for that arsehole in Hillsboro who had nearly the whole road to himself early Sunday morning last August.