Best Full Suspension ebike Frames?

AFG

1 µW
I have decided that I want a full suspension in an ebike for safe handling at high speeds. I have been looking at downhill and all-mountain frames mostly but am trying to find a bike with a good compromise between the suspension and battery space in the front triangle. So far my best find has been Giant's DH Comp/Team from around 2002-2004, however, it would be nice to find a solution that is easier to find/buy on ebay or craigslist. I have looked into models like the Specialized Epic from around 2007 but I am afraid of the flex in the rear triangle on that frame which would negatively affect handling on high speed turns. Has anyone found any elegant frame solutions they would like to share :?:

The mid-2000 Kona Stinky has a big frame and converts nicely. A couple have been done and have build threads somewhere on here. You also might look at Bikesdirect.com. They have some nice full suspension bikes at good prices.

My full suspension doesn't even have room for a full sized water bottle in the frame. :cry:

Gary

My fave, the mongoose blackcomb in not such a great choice for speeds over 30 mph. I just like the steel rear swingarm, that makes it easy to add a pinch torque device to the swingarm. Handling wise it's adequate at best.

What exactly are you going to be doing? High speed trails and dirt, Hucks down DH runs, or street riding at 50 mph?

you may be able to carry the batts saddle bag style on the top tube just as good anyway. Even the best FS bike triangles aren't going to fit all that much battery in them. At some point, you realize that 120v 10 ah is too dang big for most triangles.

im using a norko aline, far from ideal when it comes to mounting inside the triangle (ill just be able to fit my 12fet controller in there, JUST) but i got it cheap with lotsa extras, so ill put up with the inconvinence.

Instead of in the triangle, you could mount to the frame, allong the tubes(what im planning). if you want to keep it slim between your knees then you could even try using multiple 3 or 4s packs? it means you have to build in some protection for the batts, but keeps it more stealthy IMO with nothing inside the triangle. depends where you plan on riding i guess.

definatly, stinkys and giant dh's are great candidates.

This is an important topic. This thread should become a magnet for available frame choices. I found this thread using the search terms full suspension battery triangle...if theres a better thread thats already populated with good choices please add them, as common search terms will likely show this thread first in the future, while other threads will fade away, becoming hard to find.

2002-04 Giant DH
IMG_5805.jpg

Specialized FSR from the 1994-95 (S-works? Stumpjumper?)
10553d1246992269-new-full-suspension-build-specfsr.jpg

2007 Kona Dawg
product2.jpg

2007 Iron Horse Maverick 4.0 (similar to Giant AC Dually, Motobecane DS Fantom)
51y91aE8K0L._AA300_.jpg

And (of course) the hard-to-find 1891 McGlinchey DH
mcglinchey.jpg

My favourite frames are those that ride the best at high speed in the mountain. They are not easy to build on while keeping their balance and handling, but solving building problems is the price to pay for performance.

Giant reign is an option. they should be easier to source than the DH-Team.
DSC_7377.jpg

Commencal meta's are allso great bikes with some space in the frame.
image04.jpg

If there were e-bike races here , I would build me a meta 4X.
49225d3fe7f3f

.manitu

I was thinking of something like a Cannondale Super V

Then fill the top V section of the frame with the battery pack

cannondale_super_v_900-51.jpg

NeilP said:
Iwa sthinking of something like a Cannondale Super V

No regret or complaint about SuperV here...

C900full.jpg

Found this on Craigslist - dated for modern mtn bike but perfect for comfortable, safe daily eBike commuter.

I've been researching this too, and I know for speed you want low center of gravity, long wheelbase/slack head angle. If it works for motorcycles it'll work for a fast ebike. At first I chose the Stinky; because they're (relatively) cheap, plentiful, strong, and have some space in the frame for estuff. Now I think the Giant DH would be the best; lowest center of gravity, more travel, and space in the triangle. That's what I would use anyway, if we're talking ultimates.

That SuperV looks sweet as a frame choice. You could fit so much up in that V, the possibilities are way bigger than a triangle in my opinion. That frame almost seems designed for Ebike conversion.

Although I would have gone for a Super V, now I have seen that Merida posted by spinningm, that has to take the prize for me.
OK,so no where near as stylish or as much rear travel, but you can get all in the frame and lower than the SuperV

I did see a bike outside the hospital the other day, cheapO frame by the look of the components, a Super V rip off made by ' Ideal'. Never heard of them and cant find them on the net CrMo frame with chunky ally rear swing arm, big flat area around drop out, so easy to fab a torque plate. Pics are on phone, I ll post up later

Heres a similar thread, list of frames, 5 pages...
"SUITABLE FULL SUSPENSION FRAMES?"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32056

My full suspension longtail doesn't have a big triangle, but its very easy to find a front-sus hardtail with a big triangle to make it into a longtail. I managed (without welding/brazing) to mate two frames by putting the BB (pedal-axle) from the rear suspension bolted into the drop-outs of the front hardtail frame. Full-sus and fat tires really soak up the potholes...

I like it a lot, but a longtail seems to be an acquired taste. The only negative is the slight increase in weight, and some tiller-effect in the steering (hand-grips swing left and right, instead of rotating). The extra length isn't noticeable to me. Good points: the feet-forward posture, my upright spine (instead of leaned forward), and especially the low seat with its flat-on-the-ground foot contact.

"DIY longtail-could it be this easy?"
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9673

file.php

What the hell is that :p
Hell very impressed...what is the 'seatpost' looks like front forks...that is a hell of an angle, must be some massive strain on that red 'post"

Have found the pics of the bike I mentioned earlier

Full.jpgFrame-label.jpg

Dropout.jpgHead.jpg

NeilP said:
Although I would have gone for a Super V, now I have seen that Merida posted by spinningm, that has to take the prize for me.
OK,so no where near as stylish or as much rear travel, but you can get all in the frame and lower than the SuperV

I did see a bike outside the hospital the other day, cheapO frame by the look of the components, a Super V rip off made by ' Ideal'. Never heard of them and cant find them on the net CrMo frame with chunky ally rear swing arm, big flat area around drop out, so easy to fab a torque plate. Pics are on phone, I ll post up later

Neil, here's a link to "Ideal Bikes" in the UK. It's a Greek Company which has its target market in Europe. The model of the bike i think is the Axion.

http://www.idealbikes.net/?section=2149&language=en_US&itemid1494=2187

Gary

If you dont mind using side saddles on that type of bike, there is a company that makes rear racks for rear suspension bikes. A bit pricey but...i guess you get what you pay for. http://www.oldmanmountain.com/

NeilP said:
Hell very impressed...what is the 'seatpost' looks like front forks...that is a hell of an angle, must be some massive strain on that red 'post

Very impressed here also.. Looks like he has the strain on the "seat fork" taken care of with a tensioned spoke. Looks like it may even pivot freely for adjustment? Be sooper cool if that spoke were a shock absorber..

Ykick said:
NeilP said:

Found this on Craigslist - dated for modern mtn bike but perfect for comfortable, safe daily eBike commuter.

Now that is cool.

vanilla ice said:
Very impressed here also.. Looks like he has the strain on the "seat fork" taken care of with a tensioned spoke. Looks like it may even pivot freely for adjustment? Be sooper cool if that spoke were a shock absorber..

Ah yes, i can see that now..i missed that on first look..makes more sense now

MikeFairbanks said:
Ykick said:
NeilP said:

Now that is cool.

Thanks, this was my 3rd pedal bike I assembled so 'had a much better idea what should serve me best and went looking for that. Quality frame, brakes and suspension's best place to start and remember, electrifying adds weight & speed to the overall package so it's important to start with a very good platform.

Very happy with my SuperV - 1500 miles not a single problem/issue. Weighs around 60lbs in 10 mile range configuration.

Back