eTrike Conversion - as Mobility device! ... ?

DrkAngel

1 GW
Of course, still in the offing is an etrike conversion. Schwinn Meredian with eZip motor added. Nice cargo space and hanging big SLA batteries below the rear axle will greatly increase stability.
"Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle", Front hub motor would work, but I prefer the re-gearing ability of the EZip gear motor.
Rear freewheel:
16T=20mph
18T=18mph
20T=16mph
22T=14mph
etc.
I've had many requests as mobility devices for nearby Senior housing project.

Ballast!
The main complaint on these bikes is the risk of tipping.
10lbs of li-ion helps very little, compared to the 60lb, of comparable SLA.
And ... I get the SLA for, nearly, free.

Also, without the "need" for pedaling, a big comfy seat can be dropped down, further lowering the center of gravity, thus, enhancing stability.
Foot platforms w/outrigger skid pads, or "training wheels", could be added, for additional turning safety, in "Mobility Device" application.
Beats paying $2000-$3000, or more, for other "mobility devices".
Plus the bonus of higher speed, and a cargo basket, for runs to the grocery store, etc.

As a Mobility Device, crank, pedals etc. could be removed. This would allow the simple addition of floorpan, for setting feet on. The big advantage is that the EZip geared motor could be directly connected to the rear axle, and would act as an effective braking system, when throttle released! Making a regen controller feasible?

Also, I have been recycling 35ah SLA batteries, from the same seniors, using the BatteryMinder rejuvenation process, fairly good success rate of restoring battery capacity-capability.
BatterMinder DeSulphation

When I had my accident in 2008 I was forced to use my homebuilt recumbent trike as a mobility device to get to the ER a couple of blocks away. It worked! The problem is that even narrow trikes are much wider than those electric mobility scooters that are used for the specific purpose. I can imagine zipping down the supermarket aisle looking for the bread! Well maybe not.
otherDoc

DrkAngel said:
60lbs of Li-ion would work, but ...
First one would go to my mother. ...
She might call me up from 300 miles away and say she can't get back home.
She forgot to take the charger, to recharge, for the return trip.

If the trike was for myself or for my mother, I would still go with Li-Ion. 300 miles away on a mobility device by a senior!?
With that range, the battery pack can easily last 2 weeks between charges. Why worry about taking the charger along?

Found 24 & 36v controllers w/reverse function!
tncscooters.com & electricscooterparts.com

Should work nicely for mobility device, if freewheeling hub bypassed.
- Connect directly to axle sprocket.

DrkAngel said:

Do those need to be powered down between direction choices?

gogo said:
DrkAngel said:

Do those need to be powered down between direction choices?
Doesn't clearly say, read descriptions and see what you think.
Appears to require, open circuit 2-wire, then reengage 3-wire.

These might be a, reasonably, compatible replacement controller for the Pride, Victory etc. mobility scooters. A $50 replacement, with some ingenious mods, sounds better than $400 for oem replacement!

The Schwinn Meridian Trike appears to have a 22T rear gear. Adding an EZip 450w motor @24v will produce a, senior worthy, 14mph. Running the same motor @36v, 675w output, will produce a corner tipping 21mph!

Dropping my 53lb 2.5hp, 4 stroke, 1500w generator, in the rear basket, will give me unlimited range. Well, 12 hours run time @750w output. 252 miles @21mph per 1.5gal fillup.

"Cruising" speed should use less power = longer range ... maybe 400 - 500 miles?

DrkAngel said:
The Schwinn Meridian Trike appears to have a 22T rear gear. Adding an EZip 450w motor @24v will produce a, senior worthy, 14mph. Running the same motor @36v, 675w output, will produce a corner tipping 21mph!
Regulating throttle position, with set screw, etc., would allow a "senior safety" mode.

I proposed a similar "regulation" for a 48v controller upgrade.
If you upgrade to 48v, you can still run as 24v, by limiting throttle movement.
Due to higher volt, low speed, full throttle use, motors tend to "burn out".

At higher speed, higher volt, full throttle use is much less damaging.
The installation of a spring, that engages before the higher voltage point, would provide a firm reminder that this point should not be passed, except at higher speed, or for emergency escape acceleration ... effectively creating a TURBO function!

Sorry, got carried away.
Anyhoo ... a, throttle position, set screw can be installed to limit top speed.

Definitely want to limit speed. For a really old person, perhaps to less than 10 mph. For that, a chain drive geared nice and low would be just the thing. You are definitely on the right track. You could lower the gear some, and increase stability, by using smaller rear wheels.

Doe's wallmart still sell the Izip model trike at the online store? What you want may be avaliable shipped free to your nearest store.

If you did go hubmotor, you'd need a really slow winding. I have a 9c 2810 on the front wheel of my schwinn. Max at 48v is 20 mph, but 36v which goes 15 is much more stable. For a mobility device, even slower 2812 winding would be good. The lower the gear the better, since low speed throttle response is better, compared to a fast motor's tendency to act a bit like an on off switch.

Well, might become a mobility scooter ... might also - get a recumbent seat, aerodynamic shroud, multi-speed intermediate hub, 48v "TURBOed" motor etc.

Sounds fun. Do be aware that the rear wheels of a schwinn meridian are totally junk. Fast speeds will ruin them very quick. I had to relace mine with some decent rims. Hitting any potholes or bumps at 25 mph with cargo in the basket really was harsh.

Also you have to master the one wheel up turn. Those adult trikes really don't do well at faster speeds. Above 15 mph, they really want to go in a straight line. Mike Fairbanks rode his into a tree. To haul ass, I hear you want a kmx or other tadpole trike. The adult upright trikes are geared to 12 mph for a good reason.

They have thier place, mine is perfect for a run to the flea market, where a regular bike is hard to keep upright on a kickstand. I can get off, look at some stuff, and the trike stays up. Basket can hold all kinds of stuff, including a bike or some wheels I just bought. But after getting new wheels, I decided to limit that thing to 15-20 mph. Mostly I ride it with 36v, and have 15 mph max.

dogman said:
Sounds fun. Do be aware that the rear wheels of a schwinn meridian are totally junk. Fast speeds will ruin them very quick. ...
Tires are good for clean, smooth, dry roads, same as used on the EZip Trailz.
Larger, better "treaded", tires, highly recommended, should provide much better traction, as well as "cushioning" the rims.
Yes, I realize, that it is much harder to miss potholes, on a trike.

Hi

Couldn't help but make a comment on the post, I've been working on and off for a couple of years on a safe marketable adult trike and haven't come up with something that safely does everything.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16595
I would suggest the Schwinn Meridan is sold at Walmart for a good reason, its designed to be inexpensive and because of that, its almost at its limits as a 5 to 10 mph pedal bike.
I got very lucky when I started my granny shopper project and found an older Worksman Adaptable Industrial Tricycle ADC-3CB. Mine was from the mid 80's and has both rear wheels driven thru a differential with 3/4" rear axles supported on Sintered Bronze Bushings. Unfortunately they really don't make them like that any more, but are still far superior than the Schwinn.
http://worksmancycles.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/adaptable.html#ADB-3CB
I've also had it loaded with my neighbor in the back and myself driving which would make for a load of well over 400 pounds, which says a lot for the trike
Another company that makes a superior trike is Lightfoot cycles
http://www.lightfootcycles.com/recumbent_tricycles.php
they have the option of dual wheel drive and support the rear wheels on both sides which eliminates the weakest part of most adult trikes, the rear axle. Most trikes use a 15mm rear axle and hitting a bump at speed will not only trash a Schwinn wheel but bend a 15mm axle, I've got 2 bent axles in my shop now. Lightfoot cycles are also a spendy option.
Another manufacturer that might make a decent place to start and still be reasonably priced is the Torker Tristar HD
http://www.torkerusa.com/bikes/utility/2011-tristar-hd
As for controllers I have an older analog Crystalyte controller that has a reverse switch built into the controller, I think these were sold with the 408/411 tapped winding hub motors. You can get a Kelly controller with a reverse feature
http://kellycontroller.com/keb4822024v-48v100a22kw-bike-brushless-controller-p-58.html
I haven't sold this bike mostly because of the liability associated with a product like this. Its still a blast to ride and I've cruised past more than one lyca clad rider while sipping my morning coffee in the bike lane.left.jpgdif.jpg

In any case if I can be of any help, please let me know, I think there is a need for a product like this, it just has to be right

Greenerwheels

Yeah you could build a serious torque monster with one of those! There maybe more work involved in making it work, but being able to control the gear ratio (top speed) would make for a safer and better hill climbing ride. What kind of life would you get out of one of those brushed motors?

Greenerwheels

greenerwheels said:
Yeah you could build a serious torque monster with one of those! There maybe more work involved in making it work, but being able to control the gear ratio (top speed) would make for a safer and better hill climbing ride. What kind of life would you get out of one of those brushed motors?

Greenerwheels
450w model:
EZip Trailz - I geared it up 25% and ran it 3000 miles ... so far!
EZip Mountain Trailz - over-volted to 37v and run 3500 miles ... and 2 Winters ... so far!

Yes! ... holds up well to over-volting, as long as you don't "dog it" on hills, etc.

Note: I grease the gear section twice yearly, or at any noise variance.
2009, and newer, motors are noticeably quieter!

DrkAngel said:
Of course, still in the offing is an etrike conversion. Schwinn Meredian with eZip motor added. Nice cargo space and hanging big SLA batteries below the rear axle will greatly increase stability.
"Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle", Front hub motor would work, but I prefer the re-gearing ability of the EZip gear motor.
Rear freewheel:
16T=20mph
18T=18mph
20T=16mph
22T=14mph
etc.
I've had many requests as mobility devices for nearby Senior housing project.

Also, without the "need" for pedaling, a big comfy seat can be dropped down, further lowering the center of gravity, thus, enhancing stability.
Foot platforms w/outrigger skid pads, or "training wheels", could be added, for additional turning safety, in "Mobility Device" application.
Beats paying $2000-$3000, or more, for other "mobility devices".
Plus the bonus of higher speed, and a cargo basket, for runs to the grocery store, etc.

As a Mobility Device, crank, pedals etc. could be removed. This would allow the simple addition of floorpan, for setting feet on. The big advantage is that the EZip geared motor could be directly connected to the rear axle, and would act as an effective braking system, when throttle released! Making a regen controller feasible?
That was me, in my picture, a few years ago.
I've put on, a few, years, and pounds, since then.
I do have a mobility scooter, it did cost, more than, $2000.
The problem, is that, when I take it to the local store, or to my doctors appointments, it takes a beating on the sidewalks.
It moves pretty slow, so I am afraid to take it on the streets.

Several of my neighbors have the Schwinn Tricycles and seem happy with them.
They flaunt them, bragging about all the groceries they can carry.
Sadly, I don't feel I could pedal enough, especially will the small hill I have to get over, to use one.
If there was a budget, motorized, or pedal assist version, I would gladly get one.

I just wanted to chime in that I am hopefully anticipating further developments on this subject.

Vi

I'm in the process of building a mobility/transport trike. It originally started as a handcycle (the kind that sits upright). My plan is to remove the drivetrain and replace the fork with a triple-clamp "chopper" fork that I bought on fleaBay. It won't have any other means for propulsion than the electrical system. I will be using a DD hub motor, and I have every intention of riding it into a grocery store. I use a wheelchair to get from A to B, and I've always wanted an electric vehicle. Seems like it will be the perfect fit. I'm glad that the technology is really catching on and improving.

Schwinn Meridian eConversion, in the works!

I will fully document the project and post details!

;<}

There are people that have tric's in there garage with dead batteries aka Iacocca's 3 wheeler. That would be a nice find. Just batteries and new bushes

I just got an order for a Schwinn Meridian eConversion.
A zealous gentleman needs a device that allows his wife to walk her own dog.

The plan is for a, non-pedal, mobility device
Which simplifies the project.
Pedals and "transition" hub can be disabled, and an EZip geared motor can be connected directly to the rear axle.
A simple platform, supported by the immobilized pedals, should be fairly simple.

Don't think I'll make much profit, but someone is actually sponsoring-financing my R&D!
Which is a pleasant change.
Should be fun.

Picked up a cheap eTrike candidate
Kent "Alameda 26" Adult Tricycle." - $149 delivered to nearest Walmart.
Click on Picture

A cheap copy of the Schwinn Meredian? (About 1/2 the price.)
Aluminum frame.
Rear axle is a 5/8" shaft with freewheel and "drum" style brake, (friction band).
Plenty of room for additional 5/8" ID sprocket or freewheel.
Rear wheels have the equivalent of a limited slip differential, unsure of method, but there is no "dragging" around corners and each wheel always receives torque. - Friction method! Limited, but some, torque.

Down sides:
Fear of tipping - especially with seat raised into proper pedaling position, there is a feeling of tipping over, at every turn.
Important to slow down and lean body around turns!
Makes me seriously consider slowing down the motorized version ... running at 12V, instead of 24V?

Chain is "tensioned" with a solidly mounted idler sprocket, poor-cheap method.
Might work well to replace with freewheel mounted on motor! ... ?

Will have to mull over some alternatives ... before modification ensues!

Oem handle bars are as wide as a Texas Steer's.
As wide as the rear wheels.
Maybe a track indicator?

... oops

I am working on a Worksman, and they have an axle which is keyed and allows a freewheel anywhere across the axle width. They also are not cheap (ironically, I am). Most of these Meridian and Alameda types do not have a lot of space for freewheel placement tinkering.

I am interested to see the differential. The worksman gets its differential abilities from the way the wheels themselves are constructed. They work great, but limit replacement options.

Back