Ebike Project 72V HS3540 UK "build thread" +Videos!

rui_fujino

1 kW
Hi, my name is Rui
I'm planning to build 72v full suspension ebike! :D
here are few things I've decided to use:
Diamondback s:10
conhismotor 1000w 48v motor (i've already got(GM motor??))
Ebike2.0.jpg
battery: 8x Turnigy 5000mAh 5S 20C Lipo Pack
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9174
Balancing method: 4 X Hobby King Battery Medic System 6S
cell-medic-1.jpg

iCharger 3010B 1000W Battery Charger
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_1&products_id=45
i've ordered diamond battery bag from FalconEV
frame_bag2.jpg

only thing havent decided is controller :roll: . I'm looking for programmable, CA plug and preferably can work on sensor-less motor as well (this is because i'm waiting for HS3540 to get better :twisted: )

if there are anything i got completely wrong please help me out!! :oops:

PS: i currently have lifepo4 battery 48v 12ah (kit battery)...but then i dont think its good idea to mix batteries....

The icharger is great, I use the same one...but you do not want to be charging with it all the time...just kep it for balance charging every once in a while

build up a bulk charger from meanwells, or one of the BMS battery.com chargers
http://www.bmsbattery.com/18-alloy-shell

either Doctorbass or liveforphysics has done a review of them on the forum here somehwere.

If you go the meanwell route, and use a pair of 48 volt units, then you can use them in series for bulk charging, or in parallel ( or singularly) to run the iCharger

I think Ed Lyen was doing sensorless controllers...and no doubt beefed up a bit from standard

But I had heard that the CA DP units do not work directly with the new standard sensorless controllers from Crystalyte, as they are wired to accept the new Crystalyte 'AMP Display ' unit...from what I gather an own brand style of Cycle Analyst. but apart form the adverts have heard no more about it

which controller is the easiest to pair up with the cohismotor? I do need to get CA but i dont mind using APM from crystalyte..(72v)

I have never looked at the Conhis Motors before, but having looked at their site, I can only see sensor motors...SO I think you are asking for a controller that does both sensored and sensor-less motors...no idea if such a thing exists.

BUT, you could attack this from a different angle...get a sensor style controller...to run your current motor..and then when you decided to go for the HS3540...get it fitted with sensors.

Or maybe you can just use the Conhis motor with a sensor free controller...and not connect the sensors....remove them.

As for which is the easiest..well as far as I can see all much the same...sensor less would have to be easier as there are less wires..but I have not idea if you can use a sensor style motor with a sensor less controller just by not connecting the sensors or not...

But i do not think you can get a controller that does both sensored and sensor less

NeilP said:
I have never looked at the Conhis Motors before, but having looked at their site, I can only see sensor motors...SO I think you are asking for a controller that does both sensored and sensor-less motors...no idea if such a thing exists.

i believe conhismotor are just another version of GM motor :| , and yea I have heard of controller that has both sensor and sensor-less in one but then all of the sensor-less controller is not great yet, so i might just stick with sensored controller...
does anyone know any gd programmable 72v controller? which i can fit either CA or APM? :roll:

I'm using Lyen Sensorless controller and it's smooth. You just need to move the bike a little bit and you are good to go. I've used Lyen controller on the Ebay GM motor that looks like the conhis motor. I'm using the GM Magic Pie motor and it's just as smooth. I had Lyen put on connectors for the CA and Cruise control as well. He can also add regen braking.

What sort of amps can a Lyen Sensorless controller run at ? I assume they are modified Crystalyte controllers????do they have programable capability as well?

My controller is setup at 50A stock. He recently got the program translated for use on a PC. I have the usb cable and connections on the controller as well, but have yet to use it. I would probably tweak the controller if I were to run a 12 pole or less motor and at a lower voltage. I can power up the CA with just pedaling and the battery disconnected.

So! yesterday I've finally decided on what controller to get! :)
I've pm lyen and got very good deal with everything i need in one shipping! :
12Fet 4110 lyen controller > $129
2 X Torque arms (angle adjustable) > $40 :shock:
CA >$125 (same price as ebike.ca)
other usb nd jumper nd switch ...ect
all together was 359 including the shipping fee! :shock: that's very good price especially the fact i woke up this morning and i saw message saying he ALREADY dispatched mail with tracking number!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :!:
cant wait to get it :D next step are to buy 8x 5s1p 5ah batteries and icharger!

So this morning I got a post! And is Lyen Controller!
IMG-20110720-00023.jpg
I must say...as you can see, but too much taping and I got quite abit of sticky bits let from unwrapping tapes... :roll:
IMG-20110720-00030.jpg
I must say, Im inpressed how lyen managed to put all that in a small parcel! all the connections came with its other sides and pins! that's great professional work right there! :D

these torque arms looks like perfect! 8) i just need to find some metal zip ties...
IMG-20110720-00029.jpg
SO that's all updates so far...still waiting to buy lipo, balancer and bulk charger...oh and Falcon EV triangle bag should be here soon! :D
oh, and the good news! lipos are back in stock at HK! Should i get it now or wait?

Okay, so I managed to get the Lyen program working. could anyone give me suggestions on programming side??
My battery setup is 8x Turnigy 5000mAh 5S 20C Lipo Pack to make 72v 10ah.
oh and what's the speed setting of "110???", "115???" and "120???" I dont know if they are suppose to be % or not...

I got the Falcon EV triangle battery bag and they are super good! i can fit 4L of water bottles and lyen controller and still plenty of space !
IMG-20110722-00033.jpg
IMG-20110722-00034.jpg
they also hav side pockets where you can put thin stuff in. oh also the bag comes with lock zip so you can put a lock through :D

Has anyone got any bad news with it?

The controller needs airflow to cool it, so it needs to be outside the bag...

-JD

oatnet said:
The controller needs airflow to cool it, so it needs to be outside the bag...

-JD

yea i'm planning to put the controller somewhere either back rack or behind the seat post. i was just putting it there for others to see the size better with familiar controller :wink: but i need to get some extra padding to protect the batteries from the shock just in case i do things like GCinDC guy... :D

well, since I have a long way to go till i can actually start this project (since my bike is in uk...) I've decided to make some padding for the battery!
from what i thought of the Falcon EV battery bag, the vertical wall are thick but the side walls are so thin that anything can give battery full hit! so i went out nd got cheap memory foam cushion(one of those pillow like ones) and did come cutting up! 8)
3 pics.gif
I just cut off the thick layer into two from the middle. it was quite tricky...they bends too much...
IMG-20110724-00049.jpg

all i have left to do is draw out the necessary wires and connections for the battery to controller and to charger...
does anyone know which is better? Anderson VS 4mm bullet connector that comes with HK battery... :roll:

okay, before I spend $$$ I should post this to verify if my mind is insane or not... :roll:
battery setup.gif
all the wires are10awg and 44mm bullet connectors. this is also the same setup for bulk charging... :wink:

EDIT:
Battery life setup.jpg
I had nothing to do while my batteries/wires/connectors are not here with me I thought i'll go and make some battery setup in my mind with actual components :wink:

Looks good to me. You can stick with the 4mm bullets that come on the batteries but I would suggest getting a bigger plug for the final discharge ends as I noticed the 4mm bullets getting warm around 20 amps and quite warm at 35amps.

E-bike4life said:
Looks good to me. You can stick with the 4mm bullets that come on the batteries but I would suggest getting a bigger plug for the final discharge ends as I noticed the 4mm bullets getting warm around 20 amps and quite warm at 35amps.

would XT150 connectors do the job for the last connectors then?? :wink:
oh and 10awg wires gd enough? or should i go for 8awg and all connectors XT150 :?:

well, I had to explain my setup to someone and I drew this so I thought i'll shear with u guys!
i'll be using battery 4X medic to balance the 4X 5s2p packs charger is BMSbattery charger set for 83v voltage cut off. haven't ordered yet but I'll make an order in next couple weeks time.
battery charge.gif

this is looking lke a very nice build
keep up the great work

I'm planning to order BMSbattery alloy shell charger...Question is..should I go with 600w or 900w :?:
600w I can charge with 83v5A and the casing is much smaller 8)
alloy-shell-600w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ebike-charger.jpg

900w I can charge with 83v9A and much bigger casing and $30 more(inc shipping)... :?
alloy-shell-900w-lifepo4li-ionlead-acid-battery-ev-charger.jpg

how much time difference would they have for charging :?:

okay, Ive got my silicon 8awg and 10awg wires! :D and 4mm bullet and XT150 ready to solder! 8) ....
IMG-20110802-00110.jpg
first soldering of the day and after!
Soldeing.JPG
IMG-20110803-00117.jpg

hello guys, Thanks for following my page if you are...
I want to get some inspiration from you guys for creating brake light and ebrake...
I'm thinking of combining the two into one output into controller. therefore when i pull the brake leaver, brake light comes on and ebrake is activated.
anyone know how i can create the mechanism for it? (magnetic switch, simple switch ...ect) :roll:

While I'm in japan, I decided to build 3rd Ebike! :mrgreen: but then i'm haven't even finished making my 2nd ebike so i'll take my time on this one.
My plan is to Finish my 72v ebike in UK and when I'm here in japan I'll work on my ebike3.
The base bike its self is AWSOME! :twisted: I love the look and its full suspension as well! lots of space for the battery in the middle too!
I will just use this bike as bicycle this summer but I'll start converting maybe in the xmas!
here is my bike!
IMG-20110814-00145.jpg

Back