CroBorg Super Commuter

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Re: CroBorg Super Commuter

Post by Alan B » Apr 11, 2016 12:38 pm

It has been awhile since I took the Borg out for a spin, or updated this thread. We've had more than usual rainfall here in the Bay Area, which is a good thing since we've had a multi-year drought, but I'm not fond of ebiking in the rain.

Having a daily commute was a great way to get a lot of use from the Borg machine. These days too many trips aren't good for the ebike, or the destination isn't safe. It really makes me appreciate the safe parking haven I had at the workplace. I see too many on here with lost ebikes in their sigs. Really sad. I'll drive the gas hog rather than risk theft of an ebike. A central part of planning each ebike trip is how to keep the machine safe during the entire operation.

I'm working on my other ebikes at the moment, updating and upgrading the Novara and the BikeE. I'm working on a Throttle Manager to convert PWM type controllers to torque mode and support AWD/2WD. I'm looking into building a battery welder so I can make my own 18650 packs, which I now have two of from Luna. They are amazingly light and can be configured in so many ways. Ultimate flexibility.

For the Borg I'm considering putting a 12V regulator on it to supply horn and low voltage lights.

I'm looking into building a ham radio equipped trike. Need to get up to Sacramento and take a test ride.

The Ridge Runner is doing well, though it needs a bath, and a chain cleaning and lubing. The rain makes the trails muddy and the bike manages to collect some every trip. It sure does climb. :)

The Xootr Swift is sitting here with the crank removed, waiting for the mid drive procurement. That's going to require some special fabrication to make it all work. It will be soon.

I'm wondering, when the taxes are all done, whether I'm going to have to raid my ebike funds to pay them, or whether I'll see a return windfall that might accelerate some of my projects. This is the first time I'm having someone else do them and the suspense is... This is also a strange tax year with the transition from work to retirement, and I'm still not accustomed to taking funds out of those accounts we've been saving into since forever. :)

Drive Safely Onward!

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Jul 22, 2016 10:23 pm

Time to top up the Borg batteries. I put it away partially discharged and haven't touched it for months. The Sabvoton is still connected, though the keyswitch is off, so we have the leakage current of the cap bank and FETs. With the Xie Chang controllers their bleed resistor will, in some weeks, run down a pack and ruin it. Unless there's a BMS to shut things off. But with the Sabvoton there's not much current when "off". Very nice.

So the three banks were about 3.9 volts, with the extreme cell groups within 30mV (3 counts on the Battery Medic), and I balance charged them with the BC168 to 4.0V. It took about 5 amp hours and 2.5 hours at 2 amps. For each of the three banks. Now they're all balanced. :)

Need to go for a ride!

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Jul 25, 2016 3:28 pm

Today I dug out the chain stretch tool (Amazon Bikehand $7) and checked all the bike chains in my stable. One advantage of Hubmotors is excellent chain life. This Borg has the better part of 10k miles on, and the chain is still not taking the 0.75% stretch chain gauge. I guess I don't pedal enough, but when I do pedal for effect, I pedal hard on starting up or climbing something steep. But the load on the chain is usually short term as the speed rises and I no longer provide much horsepower.

Ride Safe!

John Bozi
1 MW
1 MW

crimp pro advice

Post by John Bozi » Sep 02, 2016 3:02 pm

HI Alan, I am a newb to crimping

I came across this build searching for answers about my crimp, gauge dies questions.

I see you have used them well in the past and hope its ok to ask here... I could PM if you prefer....

I recently bought an ebay 8 ton $30 http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/152117702022 ... EBIDX%3AIT
which came with a bunch of dies.

The page includes a reference table of

10mm2 for 8 AWG which the wire that I am working with. I presume (often incorrectly so want to check) it means if I wanted to extend / join 8awg I would use a 10mm sleeve right?

So I I wanted to parallel in a Y shape you would overlap 3 x 10mm2 so I'd need a 30mm2 sleeve? On the site linked below they only have 35mm or 25mm, would they be too loose or too tight?

Sorry if this is way obvious but I often miss tiny things in calculations and blow cash on something that I don't need.

Is there a technique to follow apart from sticking the ends in and hoping for the best?

Do you have a favourite store you buy sleeves from? The only one I found costs more in shipping than the sleeves....

I bought some 10mm from http://www.imensa.com.au/electrical-accessories/links/

the pricing is so crazy I guess depending on popularity not size.

Thanks again

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Sep 03, 2016 1:59 am

The sleeves need to be larger than the wire, the crimping will make it small enough.

I mostly use sleeves from the hardware store, only a couple sizes available.

alec
100 mW
100 mW

Post by alec » Dec 04, 2017 5:21 pm

I'm bumping this thread because I just got a CroBorg and the amount of information here from Alan's build is beyond useful for me.

We should meet up sometime, Alan! I'm in Fresno but frequent the Bay Area.
"Black Widow" Greyborg [v.2] | Cromotor [v.3] | Greentime 1440 | 24s EIG cells 12kW peak (thread coming soon)
Project(s) in works: FatCON (& DIY Serial/USB to Bluetooth)

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Dec 04, 2017 5:31 pm

That would be fun alec, I haven't been riding mine much since my commuting ended a couple years ago. Glad this has been useful.

I still want to finish some projects on it but haven't found the time. The batteries are probably going to go bad due to dis-use. It's a great machine, if a bit on the heavy side.

It might be fun to make an 18650 pack for it, could probably pack in a bunch more capacity with the flexibility of the packaging, but there would be a lot of welding involved. :)

Right now I'm designing and making parts with a new 3D printer, I could make some nice upgrade bits for the Borg with that now too.

Do you have a thread for your build?

alec
100 mW
100 mW

Post by alec » Dec 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Alan B wrote:
Dec 04, 2017 5:31 pm
That would be fun alec, I haven't been riding mine much since my commuting ended a couple years ago. Glad this has been useful.

I still want to finish some projects on it but haven't found the time. The batteries are probably going to go bad due to dis-use. It's a great machine, if a bit on the heavy side.

It might be fun to make an 18650 pack for it, could probably pack in a bunch more capacity with the flexibility of the packaging, but there would be a lot of welding involved. :)

Right now I'm designing and making parts with a new 3D printer, I could make some nice upgrade bits for the Borg with that now too.

Do you have a thread for your build?
Ooh; 3D printer! I could make very good use of that. :shock:

Here's the build, mostly done by another ES user –

Greyborg(v2) frame, Zero handlebars and wheels, Cromotor(v3), Greentime controller (about to be switched to 96V MQCON soon), 99.6V20Ah pack (16s+8s EIG cells). I am waiting in the mail for some hybrid-plastic/rubber latches so I can attach the fairings on in a way that doesn't use fasteners or zipties and will be easy to take off/on.

I need to make a build thread ASAP.
"Black Widow" Greyborg [v.2] | Cromotor [v.3] | Greentime 1440 | 24s EIG cells 12kW peak (thread coming soon)
Project(s) in works: FatCON (& DIY Serial/USB to Bluetooth)

Alan B
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Alan B » Dec 04, 2017 8:53 pm

OK, I saw a Borg for sale in California, is it that one?

I also need a better solution for the covers as well (as you realize), so anxious to see how that works out! I've got a brand new set waiting here for that project.

I just designed a few new parts for a non ES project, this 3D printer is something I should have done years ago. Actually I did buy a kit in 2014 but got hung up on some issues and didn't get it running. I'll have to get it finished so I can do more production.

The 3D printed parts are good for some things, not good for others. Brackets and spacers can really be amazing but if you need strength then CNC alloy is probably better. I've got a start on a CNC mill conversion, but that's a bigger project that will take awhile. I don't have room for the mill cleared out yet, but I do have most of the electronics collected and partially tested out.