NJ- When an e-bike is not a moped

aroundqube

10 kW
Greetings, this is my first post. An e-bike in NJ as defined by the NJ State Legislature " Chapter 88 " "An Act concerning electric personal assistive mobility devices and amending P.L.2001, c.430. 1. Section 1 of P.L.2001,c.430 ( C.39:4-14.10 ) is amended to read as follows : C.39:4-14.10 Electric personal assistive mobility device defined;regulations concerning. 1. a. As used in this act, " electric personal assistive mobility device " means a self-balancing non-tandem two wheeled device designed to transport one person which uses an electric propulsion system with an average power of 750 watts ( one horsepower ), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface,when powered solely by such a propulsion system while operated by a person weighing 170 pounds is less than 20 miles per hour. The device shall not be considered a motorized wheelchair,motorized bicycle,motorcycle,motorized scooter,motorized skateboard,vehicle or motor vehicle. b. An electric personal assistive mobility device may be operated on the public highways,sidewalks and bicycle paths of the State.Every person operating such a device shall be granted all of the rights and be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a bicycle by chapter four of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes except as to those provisions thereof which by their nature can have no application. An electric personal assistive mobility device shall be subject to the safety and equipment requirements applicable to the bicycle provisions of chapter 4 of Title 39 of the Revised Statutes, except as to those provisions thereof which by their nature can have no application. c. The operator of an electric personal assistive mobility device shall not be required to obtain a driver's license therefor or to register the device.The operator shall not be required to furnish proof of having liability insurance for the device or other proof of financial responsibility. d. The governing body of any municipality may,by ordinance,regulate the operation of electric personal assistive devices upon the roadways and public properties under municipal jurisdiction. The State or governing body of any county or municipality may prohibit or regulate their operation on any public highway under its jurisdiction. e. Notwithstanding the other provisions of this section, an operator of an electric personal assistive mobility device shall: (1) wear a helmet while operating that device;and (2) be 16 years of age or older,except for an operator with a mobility-related disability. 2. This act shall take effect immediately. Approved June 8, 2003 note: I am not a lawyer, nor am I connected in any way with law enforcement.

The guy that wrote that must have been promoted to the IRS.
If you have one, check the local ordnance first as it's likely to take precedent.
Or go to DMV and ask them what the deal is, that regulation is indecipherable.

aroundqube said:
...electric personal assistive mobility device " means a self-balancing non-tandem two wheeled device designed to transport one person...
Errrm... this is the legislation that Segway "sold" to the US States years ago. Nothing to do with "ebikes" or mopeds really

Lock

I quoted the law as it is written. Also to be found as Title 39 Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation- 39:4-14.10 and now on to 39:4-14.11" Noncompliance with regulations on electric personal assistive mobility device operation,warning,fine. An operator who fails to comply with the requirements of this act shall receive a warning for the first offense.For a second offense,the operator shall be fined $10. For a subsequent offense,the device shall be impounded for not more than 30 days. A person who fails to comply with the requirements governing warning notices shall be fined not more than $100.00 for each violation."

aroundqube said:
I quoted the law as it is written. Also to be found as Title 39 Motor Vehicles and Traffic Regulation- 39:4-14.10 and now on to 39:4-14.11" Noncompliance with regulations on electric personal assistive mobility device operation,warning,fine. An operator who fails to comply with the requirements of this act shall receive a warning for the first offense.For a second offense,the operator shall be fined $10. For a subsequent offense,the device shall be impounded for not more than 30 days. A person who fails to comply with the requirements governing warning notices shall be fined not more than $100.00 for each violation."
QUOTE- "I quoted the law as it is written." END OF QUOTE

Ok, but it still has nothing to do with either mopeds or EBIKES.

Are you going somewhere with this? Some sort of brain teaser, perhaps?

I couldn't find any e-bike laws for New Jersey. It appears to me that instead of copying the federal law to define e-bikes (no more than 750watts/36volts/20mph) or even modifying that, what they have done is decided to just lump e-bikes in with mopeds. Somebody needs to get a state law on the books. In the meantime, if I lived in NJ, I think I would make sure my bicycle looked like a bicycle but there's no guarantee you will even be safe then.

the operative words here are "non tandem wheels" and "self balancing" That means segway pretty much. Not so hard to decipher, it says a segway is not a motor vehicle, and is treated legally as if it was a non motorized bicycle.

Bikes have tandem wheels, and only self balance when you are really drunk and don't know how the heck you rode that thing home.

And your point is ????????

The state law is anything with pedals and powered is a moped. Its in direct conflict with federal law. The DMV attempted to make their law correspond with the state law. Then they figured out it was in conflict with federal law. And said so. And changed their laws to correspond with federal. So you have state law saying one thing the DMV saying another so what to do huh? Jeff VanDrew is going to introduce a bill to bring NJ in line with the federal because as is Federal trumps and NJ is invalid.

EDIT look to the right--------------------->>>>>>>>>>

Where are u from ?

A segway it is then. To me a two wheel tandem bicycle is a bicycle built for two. A two seater. A tandem.I thought that the intent was to limit electric assist to a single seat bicycle,therefore having everything to do with e-bikes.Thanks for the comments. I live in the Garden State too, and being a handicapped senior citizen I have a need for electric assist.Law enforcement is treating e-bikes as mopeds. I thought that I found a law to the contrary and wanted to share it here . My point is ? Well now it's at the top of my head ( dunce cap ).

Sorry,you didn't say much just quoted some law didn't know what you were looking for. Here is a long thread on another board about the same thing as you. http://visforvoltage.org/blog/jerseygirl/10170 You can use a mobility scooter but not a trike. You can use a converted bike if you are discrete. ( ie dont be like luke, yes I'm just jealous ;-O ) Scooter bikes are not liked by police. Rightly so because they confuse people but tough on them (the confused ones ). But the police go overboard as usual in their tactics. As I said earlier the NJ law is technically invalid you just have to convince the police and judges they are wrong if you are using a scooter bike. The scooters pass the bike test but this state is behind as you may well know. This state regulates everything so it can make money off it. The Feds say treat low power electric bikes as regular so does DMV but the state laws are old and need to be updated. Jeff VanDrew is supposedly working on that. There are printouts of the fed law you can give to the police if stopped but the case mentioned earlier is getting a lot of attention so most may have heard of the fed regulation. Look at the linked thread, contact VanDrews office to see what is happening to the bill he is supposed to sponsor to bring NJ into compliance with the Feds and their own DMV. Dmv says its not a moped so what are rhe police actually going to charge you with i thought they enforced dmv regulations? It's late, that's all for now. Again sorry about the misunderstanding of your post.

Edit. Give me a few days and I will try to look up the DMV sections and such that show where they were going to follow state laws and figured out they were wrong and took out the parts mentioning electric powered being a moped because thats where the confusion came from. Now their regs say motor powered of a certain cc nothing about electric. It was a hard find.

Fed law trumps the state law. Nope. only for consumer product safety. The fed ebike has never been and never will be a motor vehicle statute. That's for states to enact. States rights and all that.

Some states have written motor vehicle statutes that are identical or very close to the federal consumer product safety definintion. That's good or it's bad depending on the existing state statutes.

NJ should change their law, it's a catch 22 law that makes riding an ebike as per the fed defenition illegal. But for now, segway legal ebike not, unless you have one with a vin number for the DMV, and can get a drivers licence.

Dont have much time now or my glasses but he is a direct quote from the minutes of the DMV meeting where they decided to follow the fed law regarding motorized bikes. Guess they think the Feds thing is law too. Maybe someone should tell them it's only a suggestion. After is more of the minutes including this quote. Dogman I mostly agree with you, especially that scooters will ruin it for the rest of us. More later, maybe.

"Since adopting the statutory
definition of "motorized bicycle" would violate federal law, specifically 15 USC 2085, the
Motor Vehicle Commission is not adopting the proposed amended definition of
"motorized bicycle" which would have added the words, "or is powered by an electric
drive motor'' to the definition. Instead, the Motor Vehicle Commission is leaving the
definition of "motorized bicycle" unchanged from how it appears in the existing rule."

MVC says that this puts them no longer in direct conflict with HR 727 and "bicycle" in 16 C.F.R. 1512.2 then it goes on to all the other stuff that was readopted from the original proposal back in Oct 2010

TRANSPORTATION
MOTOR VEHICLE COMMISSION
Motorized Bicycles
Readoption with Amendment: N.J.A.C. 13:25
Proposed: October 4,2010 al42 N.J.R. 231a@).
Adopted: February 8, 2011 by the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission Board,
Raymond P. Martinez, Chair.
Filed:
Authority: N.J.S.A. 39'2-3,39:3-10a, 39:4-14.3,39:4-14.3a et seq. and 39:5-30.
Effective Date:
Expiration Date:
Summary of Public Comments and Agency Responses:
COMMENT: Sidney Kuropchak, Executive Director of the Light Electric Vehicle
Association (LEVA) indicated that Federal law (HR727') states that an electrically driven
bicycle is considered a "bicycle" and the bicycle laws apply if the electrically driven
bicycle has functional pedals, a less than 750 watt motor and has a maximum speed
capability of less than 20 miles per hour. He asked if LEVA could organize a
demonstration of low-speed electric bicycles to the Motor Vehicle Commission before
the Motor Vehicle Commission amends the language in the motorized,bicycle rules.
RESPONSE: H.R.727 which was enacted as 15 U.S.C. 2085 does, indeed, state
"...the term 'low-speed electric bicycle' means a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully
operable maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a
motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph." Sec.
page 2
38.(b). ln Sec. 38.(d), it states, "This section shall supercede any State law or
requirement with respect to low-speed electric bicycles to the extent that such State law
or requirement is more stringent than the Federal law or requirements referred to in
subsection (a)." There is no need to demonstrate low-speed electric bicycles to the
Motor Vehicle Commission. The Motor Vehicle Commission is not going to adopt the
amended "motorized bicycle" definition which specifically references electric drive
motors; the existing definition will be readopted without change.
COMMENT: Mr. Kuropchak forwarded a comment from Larry Pizzi, a LEVA board
member and the president of Currie Technologies. Mr. Pizzi stated that he believes
"...that NJ is attempting to redefine the Federal definition of a "Low Speed Electric
Bicycle" exactly the same way that it defines a "Motorized Bicycle" under the NJ Moped
law (50cc. 1 .5 brake HP,25 mph max speed) by adding the phrase "or is powered by an
electric drive motor, in an attempt to categorize low-speed electric bikes and motor
vehicles. This is either an oversight of the Federal law in HR727 or a misunderstanding
about low-speed electric bikes." Mr. Pizzi suggested requesting permission for the
LEVA to have an opportunity to demonstrate low-speed electric bicycles to the New
Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
RESPONSE: The Motor Vehicle Commission attempted to conform the regulatory
definition of "motorized bicycle" in N.J.A.C. 13:25-1.1 with the statutory definition of
"motorized bicycle" in N.J.S.A. 39:1-1 to be consistent. The definition of "motorized
bicycle" in N.J.S.A 39:1-1 was amended on July 19, 2005, as part of a law that
established definitions for "motorized scooters," "motorized skateboards", and
"motorized wheelchairs," and amended the definition of "motorcycles." .The New Jersey
page 3
Legislature and the Motor Vehicle Commission both apparently overlooked H.R. 727
which is codified at 15 USC 2085.)
COMMENT: Mr. Kuropchak also fonrvarded a comment from Eric Pearlman, General
Manager, North America, Ultra Motor. Mr. Pearlman indicated that he has spoken with
some independent bike shop owners in New Jersey who have expanded their sales
product line to include electric bikes. lf additional requirements are imposed on electric
bike drivers, "the electric bike will go the way of the moped in NJ, almost non-existent.
ln addition, traditional Bikes travel much faster than our e-bikes on pedal power alone,
so it cannot be just a decision based on safety. Bottom-line, this law will cripple the
entrepreneur or lndependent Bike shop at a time when they need support the most."
Mr. Pearlman says that Ultra Motor plans to open a satellite office and distribution
center in New Jersey. He believes that it will encourage other green businesses to
ejther open in New Jersey. The imposition of additional requirements on electric bike
riders may force Ultra Motor to reconsider locating facilities here and becoming a New
Jersey employer.
RESPONSE: The Motor Vehicle Commission is withdrawing the proposed
amendment to the definition of "motorized bicycle" in N.J.A.C. 13:25-1.1 and is
readopting the motorized bicycle rules without change. The definition of "motorized
bicycle" will remain the same as it is in the existing rule.
COMMENT: Larry Pizzi, President, Currie Acquisitions LLC, dlbla Currie Technologies,
also sent a separate letter with his comments. He indicated, in relevant part:
"First and foremost, I believe that the state's Motorized Bicycle regulations were created
and pertain to "Mopeds", which are two wheeled, gasoline powered motor vehicles
page 4
(50cc, 1.5 brake horsepower,25 mph max speed) that use pedals to start the engine,
which became popular very briefly, during the 1970's. Because, in my opinion, Low-
Speed Electric Bicycles, which are defined by Federal law HR 727 (copy attached for
your reference), bear little or no similarities to Mopeds, they should not be classified
with the same or similar restrictive regulations.
ln fact, electric bicycles that meet the guidelines as defined in section 38(b) of the
Consumer Product Safety Act are much more similar to a conventional bicycle then (sic)
any motor vehicle. That is precisely why the Federal government clearly stated that
"low-speed electric bicycles shall not be considered a motor vehicle as defined by
section 30102(6) of title 49, United States Code." Section 38 of the CPSA in section (d)
goes on to read "This section shall supersede any State law or requirement with respect
to low-speed electric bicycles to the extent that such State law or requirement is more
stringent then (sic) the federal law or requirements referred to in section (a)."
RESPONSE: The commenter is correct that these rules were originally intended to
cover mopeds. Again, the Motor Vehicle Commission did not intend to substantially
change the scope or reach of these rules in this readoption. lt merely intended to
"conform" the definition of "motorized bicycle" to comply with the New Jersey statutory
definition of "motorized bicycle" in N.J.S.A. 39:1-1. Since adopting the statutory
definition of "motorized bicycle" would violate federal law, specifically 15 USC 2085, the
Motor Vehicle Commission is not adopting the proposed amended definition of
"motorized bicycle" which would have added the words, "or is powered by an electric
drive motor'' to the definition. Instead, the Motor Vehicle Commission is leaving the
definition of "motorized bicycle" unchanged from how it appears in the existing rule.
page 5
Federal Standards Statement
Now that the reference to electric motors has been deleted from the state definition
of "motorized bicycle," the state regulatory -definition of "motorized bicycle" is no longer
in direct conflict with the federal definition of "low-speed electric bicycle" in 15 U.S.C.
2085 or "bicycle" in 16 C.F.R. 1512.2.
N.J.A.C. 13:25-2.1 requires that as a prerequisite to the issuance of motorized
bicycle learner's permits, applicants therefor must submit proof to the Commission that
the applicant's presence in the United States is authorized under Federal law in the
manner set forth in N.J.A.C.13:21-8.2(a), (b) and (c). N.J.A.C. 13:25-3.1(b) imposes
the same requirement as a prerequisite to the issuance of motorized bicycle licenses to
applicants therefor. The rules, which are reflective of the public policy of this State
embodied in P.L. 1993, c.34, do not impose a standard or requirement that exceeds the
standards or requirements imposed by Federal law.
N.J.A.C. 13:25-9.3, which provides that protective helmets used by the operators
of motorized bicycles must have a reflectorized surface on both sides or have securely
affixed thereto reflectorized material on both the left and right side of the helmet, sets
forth a requirement that exceeds the standards for motorcycle helmets set forth in 49
CFR 5571.218. The Federal motorcycle helmet standards have been made applicable
to helmets used by motorized bicycle operators pursuant to N.J.A.C. 13:25-9.2, but the
Federal standard does not contain the reflectorization requirement set forth in N.J.A.C.
13:25-9.3. However, N.J.A.C. 13:25-9.3 also requires the protective helmets used by
motorized bicycle operators to be in compliance with N.J.S.A. 39:3-76.7, a New Jersey
statute pertaining to motorcycle helmets that predates the adoption of the
page 6
aforementioned Federal standard and that contains a reflectorization requirement.
Although the New Jersey Legislature has amended N.J.S.A. 39:3-76.7 three times since
the adoption of 49 CFR 5571.218, it has chosen not to delete the reflectorization
provision contained in the statute. Accordingly, the Commission has retained the
reflectorization requirement for protective helmets set forth in N.J.A.C. 13:25-9.3
because, although the cost to motorized bicycle operators to reflectorize a protective
helmet is relatively modest (it may be accomplished by means of reflective tape), the
use of reflectorization may prevent accidents by assisting other motorists in the
identification of motorized bicycle operators during nighttime hours. The Commission
discerns no valid basis upon which to impose less stringent protective helmet standards
on operators of motorized bicycles.
N.J.A.C. 13:25-9.2, 9.4 and 9.5 each require compliance with the Federal
motorcycle helmet standards set forth in 49 CFR 5571.218, but do not impose a
standard that exceeds the Federal standards.
A Federal standards analysis is not required for the remainder of the rules in
N.J.A.C. 13:25 that are proposed for readoption and amendment because the subject
matter of said rules is authorized under State law and is not subject to Federal
requirements or standards.
Full text of the adopted amendment follows:
SUBCHAPTERl. DEFINITIONS
13:25-1.1 Definitions
The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, shall have the following
meanings unless the context clearly indicates otherwise.
page 7
the part in the [] is what was removed
"Motorized bicycle" means a pedal bicycle having a helper motor characterized in
that either the maximum piston displacement is less than 50 c.c. or said motor is rated
at no more than 1.5 brake horsepower [or is powered by an electric drive motor] and
said bicycle is capable of a maximum speed of no more than 25 miles per hour on a flat
surface.

Well, no garantee DMV employees understand law. I can't tell from that text whether they were discussing statutes pertaining to use on the street, or rules for selling such motorized bicycles. It would appear they were making the common mistake in thinking the fed law for selling an ebike has any impact on legality of use on the streets.

The only thing that matters is the current NJ statute, and how it defines an electric bike. I went to a NJ state website, and found language that clearly stated an electric bike was a moped.
http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Licenses/MotorizedBicycle.htm
Of course, the info on even state websites can be out of date. Go to the NM state website, and click a link for motor vehicle statutes, and you go to the state constitution. :roll: Been that way almost two years now. Who hoo! We have no laws at all here! 8)

LMFAO. :D :D now that's funny, well at least I thought so.

Dogman, that was the state motor Vehicle commission writing the DMV laws. they were going to make the dmv statutes the same as the states and realized the state didn't agree with the fed so they went with the fed. So the dmv statutes are one thing and the states are another. :roll: Actually the state doesnt have electric bike statutes yet, they just fall under the old moped ones. The fed supposedly took the jurisdiction of electric bikes from DMV and said from now on they are BIKES not motor vehicles and are to be regulated as such. ( as long as they meet the specs ) States can still regulate them but as bikes thru state bike regulations but not as motor vehicles ie mopeds. Hey they are an emerging technology and the gov wants us to feel good about them and re elect them so they can do whatever it is they do. Enough on this subject I have a bike to work on and build topics to read. :D :D Later.

Anamelesssomebody said:
LMFAO. :D :D now that's funny, well at least I thought so.Actually the state doesnt have electric bike statutes yet, they just fall under the old moped ones.
CORRECT! ***See below

The fed supposedly took the jurisdiction of electric bikes from DMV and said from now on they are BIKES not motor vehicles and are to be regulated as such. ( as long as they meet the specs ) States can still regulate them but as bikes thru state bike regulations but not as motor vehicles ie mopeds.
Nope.. They didn't take the jurisdiction from anyone or any entity or any state.. Only from another federal commission..
They said if you wish to SELL an electric bicycle anywhere in the country, it MUST follow those particular guidelines... So the state you're selling them to MUST REGULATE it as a regular electric bicycle... Or, in other words, the state can't say, "Oh, it's a moped, and regulate the sale (taxes, additional fees for motor vehicle import, etc)..

The state STILL has the right to allow or disallow, the USAGE of said (electric) bicycle while being used on their specific roads. They can regulate it once it's IN the state, any way they choose.. (Meaning, requiring licensing, registration, etc..)

That incredible long thing you cited above was actually, electric bicycle COMPANIES, TRYING to get the state/DMV to regulate them as regular bicycles, so they could sell more of them.. (To people without licenses and stuff..)
The DMV said, they would NOT do that UNLESS the legislature actually describes them as such in the statutes.. But because they are not currently... (***See above), they will have to remain mopeds via DMV regulations...
The REAL issue as was brought up before, is that the DMV will NOT ALLOW anyone to register their electric bicycles AS mopeds, because that would require certain safety requirements (same as mopeds) and most electric bikes do NOT have such safety equipment installed and they would be held responsible should any issues arise... Also, no bicycle has DOT approved tires (at least that I'm aware of), nor sufficient build quality to ensure the safety of the rider at higher speeds, such as mopeds are able to attain...
You see the bureaucracy at work?
Federal law says their "electric bicycles" when for sale across the country.
NJ State law says their considered mopeds.
NJ DMV says they won't register as moped.

IF/WHEN the NJ legislature creates an "electric bicycle" statute, THEN the DMV will follow along with whatever the statutes say..

P.S. The DMV does NOT have any "laws", nor do they create any "laws"... They just follow the statutes and regulate all vehicles accordingly. (You spoke of "DMV Laws", in order to create a law, you have to be part of the "legislature")
(The DMV is not part of the Legislative Branch (nor any other branch of the government), it is a state entity/agency and only follows (state) government regulations or provides suggestions to the government.)

Federal law says their bicycles when for sale across the country.
NJ State law says their considered mopeds.
NJ DMV says they won't register as moped.

Yea that pretty much sums it up. Now we just have to wait for the legislature to enact some ebike laws. I'll keep you posted. :lol:

Anamelesssomebody said:
Federal law says their bicycles when for sale across the country.
You got the other two right, but not this one. Here is the important part that of the wikipedia entry concerning this issue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bicycle_laws

will be considered consumer products to be regulated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in the same manner as ordinary bicycles
The federal law doesn't define them as bicycles. The federal law merely applies the same consumer safety product regulations to them as they do for ordinary bicycles. They are still ebikes and as such are subject to whatever laws each state wants to bring to bear concerning them.

I blame the layer-legislator-bureaucrats for not writing laws in clear language. Damn them! :evil:

The way I read that, the manufacturers were trying to convince the DMV guys to lean on, or at least agree with, getting the legislature to enact an electric bike law that more or less agrees with the federal consumer product laws definition of an electric bicycle.

I don't think the manufacturers need anything to sell the product in NJ, but sales sure get more sluggish if every customer gets a ticket eventually.

Interestingly, even the DMV guys seemed to be misinterpereting the fed law, as regards that law trumping NJ law. That trump is why I believe that you can sell an ebike in NJ and call it a bicycle. But then you roll it out your garage on to a public roadway and bingo, catch 22 you are a moped as soon as you leave private property.

It gets very confusing to everybody, especially when you see waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many websites saying you can ride with no licence anywhere and then qoute the fed law. The fed law merely says you can call it a bike when you sell it. Local motor vehicle statues always apply in the end.

As I've said before many times, In NM there is no such thing as an ebike, exactly like in NJ. But not exactly, because we don't need a registration! So luckily all you need is a bike a motor, a drivers licence, and keep it under 30 mph. Too bad for the drunks, but in reality you will never get stopped in NM on a bike shaped object unless riding like a jerk.

My advice: move to Tennessee. There is no such animal as an electric bike; as far as I can tell, a "motorized bike" is defined by the engine displacement. Until somebody runs over granny on an ebike, the 5 of us with ebikes will keep trucking on in a legal no-man's land.

Maryland is closer.
Ebikes fall in with "mopeds", a good thing.
Only a driver's licence is needed and max speed is 30 mph.
The cops will give you 35 mph or so if you are not driving stupid or making a lot of noise.

Never thought I'd be glad to be in California.

Not only is our EBike reg more lenient than federal, lane sharing is legal for motorcycles.

Let me start with this---
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/press/cape_may/ocean-city-woman-will-fight-again-for-electric-bike/article_652715a6-6a6a-11e1-9225-001871e3ce6c.html

It's been a while but I have been working on getting this State Statute Title 39 changed ---Senator Van Drew is crafting a bill to coincide with the recent Amendment to Motorized Bicycle NJAC 13:25...(may name it after me)...I was ticketed 3 sep times....two times dismissed ....told to reg....stood up on the boardwalk with a sign asking gov. Christie to change title 39---blah --he got on van drew-->called mvc >called the attorney general on this and attorney gen said OCPD does not have the right to require me to have registration on my "low-speed electric bicycle" but that they did have the right to require me to come to mvc for a determination as to what my bike was and if it is legal to operate on the nj roads....blah blah....so I went to mvc June 9, 2011.....they said they won't reg the bike and that they considered me a bicycle ...blah blah ....wouldn't give me anything ---b/c everything has to go thru their legal assholes....which after waiting weeks for I finally get this cheesy letter from the guy who worked there not even on their letterhead----(oh heads are gonna roll for that)....3 weeks ago I was given nine (9) tickets by the same cop in OC....read article---email me if you need more.... sydney711@comcast.net

I'm Back!!!!!!!!! I've been working my butt off trying to get this passed in law therefore changing title 39 concerning the "low-speed electric bicycle" /e-bike----it looks like we're coming down to the wire and I have a whole bunch of correspondence from Van Drew...concerning the crafting of this bill and his intentions and letters from mvc....attorney general....and so on and so on....if any body needs confirmation on this they can email me ---as it's much easier to attach.....I knew sooner or later they were gonna ticket me----but we've been working on getting this in the works since June of last year----the bill was supposed to make a May vote---but it takes them forever to do anything in trenton----but we've been hard on it----then surprise surprise ----the same asshole gave me nine---count em---(9) tickets rotflmao!!!!.....I'll be in court on April 5, 2012....so will a few members of 2 or 3 papers...
what do they say?----third times the charm....LOL!!! So I'll let ya's know or Lock can let you's know too ---we're friends on FB!!! I'm still fighting the fight---calling Senators---Assemblymen--and have another call out to Christie....his top aid will return my call on mon....lots more to do.....sorry been gone a while...but still been working on this since June 2011...knew I was gonna get popped again anyway---that's why I was still fighting b/c I knew I'd see this one AH...before long, even though I have been steady riding since last June.....we'll see what happens on thurs---ciao for now!!!!

Back