pelican 1300 filled with lipo

vintagerider

100 mW
Hey gentlemen, just ordered a pelican 1300 hard case for batteries, and was so impressed with Oatnet and Gensem;s boxes i decided to go the same route, i am on the waiting list for Hubzilla, and will be using a 21in motorcycle rim (Maybe) and will custom build a swingarm to handle the wheel, i am using a san andreas (mountain cycles) bike with 888 style 30 mm front forks. with that said i am not new to riding or mechanical things, but an a complete dork when it comes to battery tech and charging, and have no clue what type of controller to use, as i see everyone with high voltage burning these things up. would like about the same performance as gensem's bike (Awesome build and vids by the way)

i will be using for high torque off roading with some commutting
if you had a chance to fill this box what would you put in it? what type and what voltage etc would you use?
what controller and misc parts would you put on it?
what type of charger would you buy for it?

would you add more battery in a backpack for back-up or further distance?

if you had a chance to do it all again which way would you build it?SAM_0646.JPG

thanks for any thoughts i need all the help i can get. been reading up on battery tech, but still very ignorant please help

vintagerider said:
Hey gentlemen, just ordered a pelican 1300 hard case for batteries, and was so impressed with Oatnet and Gershem's boxes i decided to go the same route, i am on the waiting list for Hubzilla, and will be using a 21in motorcycle rim (Maybe) and will custom build a swingarm to handle the wheel, i am using a san andreas (mountain cycles) bike with 888 style 30 mm front forks. with that said i am not new to riding or mechanical things, but an a complete dork when it comes to battery tech and charging, and have no clue what type of controller to use, as i see everyone with high voltage burning these things up. would like about the same performance as gershem's bike (Awesome build and vids by the way)
Yeah, I just ordered a hard case similar in size to the pelican 1300 and will mount in on the forks of my new bike due to Oatnets influence.

vintagerider said:
i will be using for high torque off roading with some commutting

if you had a chance to fill this box what would you put in it? what type and what voltage etc would you use?
What I plan on doing is 18s 3p of 20C lipo (6s bricks) which woud be around 70 volts 15 amp hours. This would leave me lots of room for the wiring and I should be able to squeeze in a small DC to DC converter for the headlights.

vintagerider said:
what controller and misc parts would you put on it?
what type of charger would you buy for it?
I already bought the charger and power supply. I purchased an icharger 306b and a 1000 watt power supply from epbuddy. Once I'm happy that the pack is staying balanced I may get some kind of bulk charger. Until then I will balance charge the pack each time. Should take about 1 1/2 hour if close to empty.

vintagerider said:
would you add more battery in a backpack for back-up or further distance?
That's an option but I already do that and decided to get away from using a backpack on my new build. If I need more range I may add a second hard case on the back with same capacity as the front.

vintagerider said:
if you had a chance to do it all again which way would you build it?

thanks for any thoughts i need all the help i can get. been reading up on battery tech, but still very ignorant please help

Im using a 1300 for about 2 months and it fits 8x 6s zippy 8000 like a glove!

20120221145836.jpg

wow thanks for quick replies very helpful just ordered some ZIPPY Flightmax 8000mAh 6S1P 30C i hope these are right, probably will be looking into premade harness till i get the hang of it. :mrgreen:

bits bits bits takes a while to get the bits

24 x 4115 MOSFET 84-132V Freeway Speed Controller $349 :D
Three speed switch $15
Half Twist Throttle $15

is this a manly controller?

how about this charger gersem uses? CellPro Power Lab 8 Charger v2 :mrgreen: :p

i like oatnet and gensem idea for the pelican but i was thinking of bracing my topeak rack kinda like this drawing what do you think! :idea:

You can use any charger you like... but all the weight up there, in the back... thats going to kill it...
DH frame geometry which is already whilie prone.
I mean, if you dont fall taking off you ll fall in a curve. :shock: :shock: :shock:

gensem said:
...DH frame geometry which is already whilie prone.
I mean, if you dont fall taking off you ll fall in a curve. :shock: :shock: :shock:
+1

Even with batteries in the front, it will lift easily with power
I use a rear rack on some of my bikes, but to carry the controller alone

yea thanks it would have been so easy that way but why go the easy way, i am kinda concerned about not being able to see things directlt in front of me, does anyone use this front mount set up for singletrack motorcycle type trails? i guess with my husaberg i cant really see the front wheel over headlamp and front fender, might be a little strange on bike though :shock:

another thought does clamping to forks cause a big handling issue? the weight being in the same place but not moving with the steering makes a big difference or just a little? thanks v

got the case yesterday lipo tommarow, lien 24 fet controller could be a while, hubzilla end of month i hope, just think i should be doing something, looking for some 30 mm clamps for forks as i will try to mount box on forks at first and if handling is too severe will go the way gensem went and glue braket to headset area.

if i get a premade harness i might not be able to fit it in box i guess i will need to cut my teeth on first build :shock: and make my own could use a little advice though :mrgreen:

got the zippy.s today wow what i tight fit

Attachments

• SAM_0828.JPG
    SAM_0828.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 3,353
vintagerider said:
got the case yesterday lipo tommarow, lien 24 fet controller could be a while, hubzilla end of month i hope, just think i should be doing something, looking for some 30 mm clamps for forks as i will try to mount box on forks at first and if handling is too severe will go the way gensem went and glue braket to headset area.

if i get a premade harness i might not be able to fit it in box i guess i will need to cut my teeth on first build :shock: and make my own could use a little advice though :mrgreen:

You might hit up member icecube57. He does custom harnesses and has a thread in the New For Sale section. If anyone can make a harness fit in there he can.

I'm going the same way with my new build. I already have the case but my bike still needs tons of parts before it will even roll... I look forward to seeing how you mount this up and fit all that sweet lipo in there.

Gary

vintagerider said:
got the zippy.s today wow what i tight fit

when you heat shrink it or tape it together you noticed that still have room for 6awg leads and some.

gl with your lipo... but dont forget that lipo is like a hot girl, they freakout sometimes but are usually worth it.

That's how you brace a rack for a FS bike. But if you carry much more than 5 pounds back there, along with a rear motor, you will seriously compromise your handling. It sure made me crash a lot more when I have dirt ridden such a bike. Try the handlebar mount, and if you don't like it, then you will just have to use the pelican for something else, and then build some type of carries on the frame tube setup for the battery. Two saddlebag like boxes with 4 lipos each was my choice, carried high near the headset.

now that i have physically picked up this lipo, wow :shock: i see what you mean, may be too much for me out back or up front, i will try up front on tubes, will try to go as low as i can without running into the tire, if i us a 24 in front wheel and tire will be able to get it a little lower, i think this will be the key, will just have too find out the hard way, and try it :D i had this same issue with a dirt bike add on tank once it was up high just the same area on tubes cuased me to dig into the corners too much and flip over, i did a suspention upgrade and helped quite abit but then was too stiff and washed out on the loose stuff. whatever it will be fun trying :mrgreen: thanks for the help and encouragement!!you guys are way cool :D

in order to get 24S2P at 88.8v 16Ah would i need to just make a harness that basically hooks all the hots to on single wire and one for the grounds? what about the balance leads what to do with them?

Any ideas on how to connect the case with the front tubes?
I'm hoping to make mine removable, to charge each night.

Oatnet was the pioneering guru on Pelican case mounting to forks. It is in this thread:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24329&p=410641&hilit=oatnet+pelican#p410641

He used these to mount to the dual crown forks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200344689577?item=200344689577&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

But that is not removable. Personally I think and connection method that was removable quickly (ie quick release) would probably suffer from strength issues (I could be wrong). If I were you I would do what Oatnet did, and just charge on the bike. Or perhaps tape up your pack as a brick, then just open the case to remove the battery each time perhaps?

Thanks for the reply.

I live on the 2nd story of an apartment block, so it's not convenient to charge on the bike. It taped up brick would work, but could get messy.
I'll keep looking, there must be a quick release plate that motorcyclists use for for their panniers?

I think if you used oatnet's mounting technique but instead mounted a 1/8" aluminum plate (eBay 'aluminum sheet 1/8') the size of the case bottom you would be in good shape. Put an aluminum channel or similar on the bottom/side case edge so it will just hook/hang from the top edge of the plate; put some spring latches on the opposite side of the case (the bottom when mounted) to draw in the mating latch hooks on the bottom edge of the plate. To mount the case, you just hang it on the plate, then latch the latches on the bottom side of the case to pull it in to the plate. Put latches on the sides as well if you want to able to lift the bike by the case :)

Search Amazon for 'compression spring latch' and you should find some typical choices. These compression latches have powerful internal springs that hold tension so you have mounting leeway and they will still hold pretty fiercely.

shorza said:
I don't have a great deal of tools, so may have to take it somewhere to get done.
You should be able to do this yourself by using some pre-formed parts.

I have the name of an eBay metal supplier that will cut the plate to size for you - I need to rummage through my build notebook to find the name but will PM you tomorrow. You can drill and work this easily so attaching the latch hooks and fork clamps will be no problem.

For the top hangers, you could section 2 to 4 steel L-brackets or shelf brackets from the hardware store so one leg is 3-4" long (actually, probably as long as will fit) and the other leg is 0.5-1.0 inch. Pretty easy with hacksaw and file. Attach the long leg to the side of the case with the short leg tucked underneath but 1/8" from the bottom. When you pick the case up you can now hang it from the plate. You can take two short pieces of leftover bar from the bracket chopping and screw the pieces flat to the back of the plate flush with the top edge where they will hold the brackets from sliding side to side (maybe inside and flush against the outermost L-brackets).

The latches mount with screws, etc so you should only need the drill.

Hmmm - actually, maybe a couple of heavy L-brackets on top to bear the weight + a couple of spring latches up there, too, to take out the forward/backward slop....

I'm in Australia, so it might be best to find a supplier here, but i am keen to try it myself.

Do you mind drawing up a quick sketch of what you mean? I can't seem to wrap my head around what you are saying.

Back