Is this a deal or what ......

Hmm 9 pages, maybe not. IF, you do get the bike delivered to your house months later, the frame alone looks like it could be worth 700 in a retail lbs, or perhaps at least $500.

Could it be worth buying and putting a real motor on? Then sell the motor or run it at 1000w?

I sure wouldn't try to run up a very long hill with that pulling 5000w all the way.

Ok, read to page three there. Maybe some real info later in the thread? I doubt it. For sure you can take the ad claims and put em straight in a trash can, But 700 bucks for that bike delivered even if it takes 3 months is not a bad deal.

I can't say what level marzocchi shocks those are on the front, but it's not a 25 buck zoom fork. Back suspension looks pretty good. The motor and controller surely are worth $400 delivered to a US address.

So would you pay 300 for that bike frame? Hell yes.

Bear in mind, this deal appears NOT to include a battery. And you get to risk sending $700 to Lingling Chen in China. Well, he sure isn't known to us like Li Ping or Cellman.

You think that you're gonna get what HPC is selling domestically for thousands of dollars for $700? :)

http://www.hi-powercycles.com/category.sc?categoryId=28

Edit: they are asking $9000 for this bike, with a crystalyte HT motor pumped up to so much power that it will definitely blow under continuous use.

Of course not. Those are the made in america ones. :lol:

You send this guy in china you never heard of $700. Just use that money you had budgeted for the slots in vegas.

I'm inclined to agree with dogman, if you approach this deal on the basis that what you're buying is a frame that has a battery space built in, plus some components that may or may not turn out to be OK, then it's not a bad deal, especially as the $700 price tag includes free shipping. Even if you threw out the battery, motor and controller because they are junk it's still not a bad deal.

The performance claims are the usual far eastern "exaggeration", so my advice would be to ignore the quoted specs and assume they are garbage.

Jeremy Harris said:
The performance claims are the usual far eastern "exaggeration", so my advice would be to ignore the quoted specs and assume they are garbage.

Actually that is a western exaggeration :lol: and that is why i am a big critic of hi-power cycles.
Go look on alibaba. There are tons of China sellers selling American branded/marketed bikes for prices that make no sense.

See the link above.

It's a good price on what it actually is. I think you better put a smaller controller on it for it to last.

But you don't see me sending my limited funds to alibaba people. Takes more than low price to make my recomended vendor list.

Who can say why it's so cheap? But in the USA we have a few expressions. Fell off the truck is one, shrinkage is the other. To put it less diplomatic, stolen shit.

But sometimes it's just legit liquidation of somebodys stuff who can't pay thier bills. Guy in china may have bought it at a legit auction for pennies on the dollar, and have no clue what it's retail value could be.

Though this might look to be identical to a High Power Cycles product, including some of thier ad copy, this bike is in china. I have no idea if the seller has any connection to HPC. So whatever bias there may be against HPC, thier prices, etc, has no bearing on this item.

It does matter that it will fry if run at 5000w, so run it at 1500w max if you have a brain cell at all.

I find it highly unlikely that this poor seller ended up with a great deal on a bike that is built in the USA and retails for >$9000, and just doesn't know what his bike is worth.

http://www.aliexpress.com/supplier-fm/wholesale-products/214167793-productlist.html

Or just happened upon a crate of Trek Remedy's ( >$4000 ) and decided to sell them for ~$700

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...ll-Mountain-Bike-Large-19-5--wholesalers.html

Or a high end Jamis carbon fiber road bike for $800

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-f...T2-TRI-ROAD-BIKE-SIZE-MEDIUM-wholesalers.html

Looks legit to me :lol:

Indeed. Like I said, stolen most likely. And perhaps it doesn't exist at all. Buy it only with your vegas money, that's for sure.

Could be, after you buy it, THEN they go steal it. 8) That's how they do cars in El Paso. Stolen to order to sell in Juarez.

Could be, the cheap shipping from china is a because the item was stolen in the USA. :idea: You just send the money to china is all.

Bear in mind that virtually all the worlds bikes, even those that purport to be made in the west, are really made in China or Taiwan. One feature of Chinese manufacture is that it's distributed, with lots of factories, under different ownership, making exactly the same parts. These are then brought together at an assembly shop where they acquire their identity and get branded with a name we, in the west, may recognise.

Leakage of either components or completed product from either manufacturers or assembly shops is common, with much of the stuff being sold via markets inside China for resale to the west by small entrepreneurs.

It's no surprise to me that products that have a recognisable western brand name appear on sale directly from China, it's the same process that allows things like A123 cells to come on to the market the same way. The surprise is that people still believe that we in the west make things like bikes in this day and age.

I just called HPC and it is a scam. They have only built a coulple of those bikes.

They said they get that from time to time , its just a china scam. There is no way that you will get that bike from china.

It would be a nice dream, but no such luck.

Just a heads up before anybody would think about sending their $

Edit: LOOK at the package weight and size. They probably just built a small scale plastic model
Unit Type:piece Package Weight:8.0kg (17.637lb.) Package Size:40cm x 30cm x 40cm (15.75in x 11.81in x 15.75in)

It wouold be interesting to see what you might actually get, but not for $700

If it is a scam, then it's an interesting one, as Aliexpress offers escrow and credit card protection to buyers, which is fairly well understood to work to western standards.

As a major Chinese sales outlet I would guess that Aliexpress would be interested to know the details, as they would, based on what I've heard about them, take action to remove the sellers listing if it's a fraud.

They do quote the bike weight as 74 lb, and I think the package weight is really the weight of the carton.

Thanks rich for doing the research and confirming things.

Can we stop wasting our mental energy on this now? :)

I have just got off the phone with HPC.

There is no way that you could purchase the bike as it is listed on that ALI site.

It would probably not be removed till after enough people had purchased and reported the scam.

neptronix said:
Thanks rich for doing the research and confirming things.

Can we stop wasting our mental energy on this now? :)

With respect, all Rich has confirmed is that the US brand holder has stated they aren't product that he has assembled. In all probability they are a Chinese product that's been made using the same components (as I'll lay even money that HPC bikes are made from far eastern parts).

As before, if people have a problem report it to Aliexpress. They have a reputable escrow arrangement that I know works very well, and which offers similar levels of protection to that we are used to in the west.

OK, apparently we don't want to stop wasting mental energy on this. :roll:

I'm sure all the name brand bikes they have here are *really good* imitations of real products, and that those are real pictures. That just happened to steal the HPC pictures and copy pasted the text from HPC's site.

But all the brand name carbon fiber bikes they are selling for $700 are *totally* legit.

I'm sure that the company that got in big trouble for slapping a 'gold seller' label on everything and not holding their sellers accountable in any way is gonna have a legit escrow system ( you got a problem? ok - ship it back to China for $400 and we'll send you a new one ).

This thread kinda makes me foam at the mouth.

What's "real"?

I mean, you guys know that Tenneco (also known as the brand Marzocchi) make their stuff in China, don't you? You do know that these parts cost less than 1/10th of the western sale price in China, don't you?

Once you've been there, and seen how virtually everything we have here is manufactured and available (often in big street markets) for a tiny fraction of the prices that the same product sells for here in the west you might better appreciate that many "manufacturers" here in the west are often just the customers of big assembly plants in the far east. They are often good at disguising the origin of their product, but when you see the self-same thing (not a fake) for sale in a Chinese market for a fraction of the price you get that sobering realisation that we, in the west, just don't make stuff any more.

It may well be this is a fake, in which case HPC should ask Aliexpress to take action against a fraudulently seller, but my money is on this being an "alternative" outlet for the product that HPC sells.

Jeremy Harris said:
What's "real"?

I mean, you guys know that Tenneco (also known as the brand Marzocchi) make their stuff in China, don't you? You do know that these parts cost less than 1/10th of the western sale price in China, don't you?

Once you've been there, and seen how virtually everything we have here is manufactured and available (often in big street markets) for a tiny fraction of the prices that the same product sells for here in the west you might better appreciate that many "manufacturers" here in the west are often just the customers of big assembly plants in the far east. They are often good at disguising the origin of their product, but when you see the self-same thing (not a fake) for sale in a Chinese market for a fraction of the price you get that sobering realisation that we, in the west, just don't make stuff any more.

It may well be this is a fake, in which case HPC should ask Aliexpress to take action against a fraudulently seller, but my money is on this being an "alternative" outlet for the product that HPC sells.

If you think it for real, how could you resist not buying one?

Yeah, you ought to buy one, Jeremy, and prove us all wrong when you get a bike that is close enough to a $9,000 bike for $700.

All their bikes are $600-$800. Regardless of what it costs retail in the USA - anywhere from $1000-$9000.
Go for broke, Jeremy!

It's not something that interests me, but for comparison I did buy an alloy framed, full suspension bike in China for less than $200, with real "branded" parts a year ago. I've since found exactly the same bike being sold here in the UK with a big name on it for over $1500 equivalent. Ask anyone who's been to somewhere like Shenzen about the street markets, and the "western" stuff that's for sale for a fraction of the prices we pay. Some of the stuff is cheap copies, for sure, but the majority is exactly the same stuff being sold by big brands that has leaked out of the distributed manufacturing system prevalent in China. We see a tiny part of this from some of the small entrepreneurs buying stuff locally and selling it internationally, but seeing it for real is an eye opener.

As I said before, if HPC call fraud, then let them get Aliexpress to pull the seller from their site. As I've also said before, Aliexpress provide escrow and credit card services, so you, as a buyer, get full western-style protection. I can vouch for that protection working.

Spacey said:
I love the 10Ah Lipo gets you 37 miles on the HPC site lol

Yeah i actually had a heated argument with the HPC sales guy over that, he said it's rated at 18mph.
So that's prolly a 72v 10AH pack doing that mileage. Could actually happen if you pedal along the entire time at such a slow speed.

( like you buy a $9000 "5000W" bike to go slow )

Back