Need torque arm advice

vodk1c3

100 W
Hi everyone,

I PM'ed doctorbass today about torque arm but he mentioned in the thread not to put our project on hold till the next torque arm batch.
Kit is rear wheel china made and bike is a cheap steel frame, 1200w 48v / 12ah lifepo4.
I did a couple of run without torque arm and it was AWESOME. But now the dropout are spread and the nut on the axle don't turn very well even stuck at some point. :( :(
What would be your next move?? bend back dropout?? powertool the nut out??? try to make a homemade torque arm??
Witch torque arm design would be easiest without alot of tool (what thickness!?!) ?? Can I use torque arm on a spread dropout??
Is it as simple as choosing a good plate and using a hacksaw and a drill???

Thanks guys, this forum is sooooo usefull for noob like me 8)

Likely you can bend the dropout of a cheap steel bike back once. Then you need torque arms. Make some from 1/4" steel plate, or buy some universal rear arms from Grin.

A pinch dropout is easy on steel, weld on a piece of angle iron, then bolt to pinch the axle.Pinch dropout, on Race bike..jpg

Hopefully you can save the threads on the axle, and get new nuts the right size. If not, then a pinch setup might be your only option.

Well well, happen to have an extra Grin torque arm. I ordered 2 and the idea of 'modding my wide 150mm Chinese bike drop out area' came to fruation.

Check your PM.
Will

Dogmanz, now that's a functional racing 9C drop out :!:

And check the 2 Stroke E-chaser thread, http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=41959

I'm going against every grain of advice you gave me, awkward to explain but should make sense in the end :?

A great make-do torque arm is a small crescent wrench. Find one that perfectly fits the axle and attach it to the frame using the same clamps you would with a regular torque arm. It works like a charm.

I will try to cut some galvanized steel plate I found at Rona, wish me luck ^^
Those plates are really nice because they already have a 10mm hole that fit exactly the axle.

dogman : Idea of a pinch dropout is really really nice if my bolt fail!!!!

SoSauty : wow thanks man!!! I will gladly take em if homemade way fail ! I like your E-chaser custom dropout!

MikeFairbanks : maybe an option, ill have to test it

Thanks alot guys wasn't expecting 3 answers and a free pair of torque arm in the same day :D :D
First time I see such a supportive community on the web, keep up the good work!

-vodk1c3

MikeFairbanks said:
A great make-do torque arm is a small crescent wrench. Find one that perfectly fits the axle and attach it to the frame using the same clamps you would with a regular torque arm. It works like a charm.
Did you mean open end wrench? Crescent is a brand name associated with an adjustable wrench,which will not maintain a fixed opening size.

Back