ebike insurance

I know that in Victoria they have similar cover to this.

It's offered by Bicycle Victoria... its like $90.00 a year.

i think the site is http://www.bv.com.au

Signed up for it when I started ebiking!

i've signed up to cycle guard £2/month and it covers you for legal action up to £1000000 apparently!

I tried doing a search and didn't find an answer to this question. For the people that have EV cars, who provides you car insurance? Also, what did it take to get it?

Good question - excellent question actually. I was going to make a conversion myself, then I read the pain in the ass insurance woes, here and there on the interweb. I have read it is difficult to get insurance for a home made EV. Especially if the gross weight of the vehicle is greater than the original. I also heard it's *easier* to get the insurance if the EV is not your primary vehicle. But, I have read where people managed to get coverage. However, they are tight lipped about what the coverage costs and what they got for their money.

Therefore, I am VERY curious at what sort of coverage you get and how much it costs. I doubt that insurance companies relish the thought of 15 to 20, very heavy and pointed, lead acid batteries flailing around in a car cab during a major accident, with wires shorting out all over the place whist flinging acid on the occupants. Not to mention, there is no real quality control and who knows what can happen with homespun circuitry and controls. I would think it would require some sort of inspection prior to creating the policy too. Also, I doubt they have much history to work with, so how could they set a rate?

The more I thought about it, the more I thought...wait for a production vehicle.

I'm covered by Progressive. Very easy to deal with, very affordable.

I suppose I might have an expert opinion in this area, since I've been driving a high speed EV as my primary vehicle for 5+ years, as well as service them.
http://www.evbones.com

Granted, these are GM factory built EV's, and the VIN is recognized in the national insurance database as an electric propulsion system vehicle.

With fifty plus of these EV's now in service, each owner has their own carrier preference, and no problems. The known insurers are: State Farm, Allstate, Progressive, AAA, and AmFam.
I have AAA. The comp policy is full coverage with a non-depreciating full loss rider (separately declared) for $25k. Premiums total for this vehicle are slightly under $500 per year.
I formerly used American Family Insurance. Same declarations totaled to approximately $900 per year with them.

Our spare high speed EV is a conversion vehicle. Aside from requiring an annual state safety inspection, it is covered with the same comp declarations at a $65k non-depreciating loss. Premiums for this spare EV are slightly under $1100 per year.

Weighting factors:
Home and auto with same insurer. No accidents, DUI's, tickets, or claims inside of fifteen years.
Hair grows from my ears, so the demographics have me as a mature driver.

Hope that answers your question about insurance.

Regards, Jeff

I actually insured my ebike/escooter. I am mostly concerned about theft and the value of the batteries.

In California I licensed it as a Moped. I filled out the form for a home made vehicle and was issued a plate and the equivalent of a VIN. I did it all through the mail, it cost a one time lifetime fee of $18, which is even transferable. With that information I was able to get insurance. It is pretty cheap and well worth it given the cost of my project and the fact that I use it for basic transportation and leave it locked while I go into various places to run errands.

Wow, I finally asked an exellent question. :lol:

TD, do you have progressive on an EV car or on an EV motorcycle/moped/bicycle type of thing?

My home insurance in Alberta Canada is the Alberta Motor Association's Exclusive policy. This covers any sporting gear that I have excluding watercraft. I've already replaced two high end mountain bikes that were stolen out of my garage on it. It would surely cover e-bikes if they were stolen. It doesn't cover sports equipment damaged through usage though. If I smack a pole or whatever, I'm the one paying to fix it.

The policy also has personal liability coverage, likely paid out if I'm involved in a collision riding one of these "powered bicycles". I bet it would be contentious though in the event that I'm personally at fault and on a pathway, not a street, especially if my voltage that day puts me out of the powered bicycle category in Alberta and into the moped/motorcycle category. The test for Alberta is if the bike can achieve more than 32km/h on a flat 2km stretch without pedalling. If it can, its no longer a powered bicycle and it becomes an unlicensed moped or if over 50km an unlicensed motorcycle. A problem with Alberta is local bikepath by-laws that say no powered vehicles are allowed on "pathways". These bylaws seem to conflict with the provinces legislation. I still ride on the pathways and a lot of other ebikes do. Its really the only alternative on the last two kilometres of my 12km commutte ride into downtown. I'd rather risk a $100-$200 fine then get killed in busy rush hour traffic. Been riding one year without a problem from the police. They have hired 20 new bylaw officers to patrol the path and I always say high and keep riding when I see them.

I just saw this response on a mailing list type thing that I guess I am now a part of.

I am a member of ARRP and they use The Hartford Insurance. Hartford has no problem with EVs and allows you to add a declared value for the conversion cost for a small incremental cost. I assume you could go directly to Hartford for a quote. Jerry in Melbourne, Florida

I'm wondering if anyone else has found a way to do this, the closest I have seen is a bike lock with some insurance. Ideas?

Thanks. 8)

If your E-bike is documented and especially if its registered, you can file a claim against your home-owners insurance or renters insurance...IF its stolen from your home. It would require a police burglary report.

If stolen from the front of a store...you'd have to ask several insurance agents.

Attachments

• IMG_4740.jpg
    IMG_4740.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 3
------------oops ya beat me to it,sorry for repost...its difficult if its not deemed a motor vehicle.most humans i know that have thousands in there machines, get house or property insurance.you could always get a bike shop to do a guestimate and have it in writing on there invoice,a contract will hold up in court even if a vehicle hits you. :shock:

my plan is to make my bike theft-proof. i have alarm, GPS tracking, police issue D-lock, bottle jack defenders, QR locking skuwers. i think its more likely parts of my bike will nicked than the whole bike and the insurance excess is probably not worth it.

spinningmagnets said:
If your E-bike is documented and especially if its registered, you can file a claim against your home-owners insurance or renters insurance...IF its stolen from your home. It would require a police burglary report.

If stolen from the front of a store...you'd have to ask several insurance agents.

Unfortunately, this is not generally the case. Most home and renters policies have exclusions for motorized vehicles except wheelchairs. Read the fine print and the vast majority of policies exclude eBikes.

Some will write a custom policy, but it will cost you.

I looked into it last year and the bottom line is that bikes are very high theft item, no insurance company wants to get involved with such a high risk.

My condo property insurance for example has a $500 deduction and will only pay up to $1,000 maximum. If i wanted more the extra price doesn't warrent the odds.

Best thing to do is hide the exspensive batteries in your panniers with a secure bolting devise inside, and make your bike as non-desirable as possible. So i bought a recumbent bike :) nobody got one like it in my town. Good luck with your choice.

Anyone been able to Insure their E-Bike? (Theft, etc.)

Yes, in exactly the same manner I approach everything possible, which is to self-insure whenever possible. I have a fundamental problem in betting that something bad will happen to me, which is all insurance boils down to. They do a great job selling you on the idea of security, but it's just a parasite on your income that can only benefit you in the long haul if you are about 1.3 times less lucky than the average guy. That 1.3x is probably low, and really only applicable to the big stuff commonly insured. I'm sure e-bike insurance would fall into the same classification as shipping insurance, extended warranties, etc., which have sky high rates of return for the seller. Of course, in order to take advantage of the savings, while rapidly getting yourself into a limited risk of loss situation, does require financial discipline for savings and then some legal structure to protect it. If you add in choices like buying a cheaper used car with cash in order to avoid mandatory comprehensive coverage and still keep the risk of loss acceptable, then it really doesn't take long at all for the savings to get to 6 digits. Honestly, how many of you insurance buyers have 6 digit savings accumulated? Those who do, just imagine the multiple 6 digit amounts you pissed away on insurance that wasn't needed.

Ebike insurance...PPUULLEEEEEEZZZZZZ

Maybe what I really need is an anti-theft device, some kinda capacitor that would give you enough of a jolt if you tried to mess with the bike to think twice, but not enough to really hurt you ... especially when I will probably shock myself with it more than once forgetting it's on :roll: :lol: .. I could always have a warning sign on it to remind me and hopefully scare off would be thieves :twisted:

LI-ghtcycle said:
Maybe what I really need is an anti-theft device, some kinda capacitor that would give you enough of a jolt if you tried to mess with the bike to think twice, but not enough to really hurt you ... especially when I will probably shock myself with it more than once forgetting it's on :roll: :lol: .. I could always have a warning sign on it to remind me and hopefully scare off would be thieves :twisted:
Not Lo-Jack, its Crack-Jack!

47454.gif

This might be just the ticket! Of course, I would replace the 6v lead acid with my 18V bosch pack :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back