24s HT3525 Kraken Build

sacko

10 kW
I had been slowly collecting parts over the last couple of months for this build, and yesterday my Lyen controller and CA came to complete it :)

24s 10ah lipo £250
Carrera Kraken £450
Lyen 12fet + CA £200
Falcon Bag £50
Magura Throttle £50
Bestech BMS £50
Maxxis Hookworm 2.5" £50
Migueralliart Torque arm £20
Migueralliart 12fet mounting plate and bracket £15'ish

Have stripped most of the stickers and residue of the controller ready for anodising black.

Just been to the next town on it, top speed of 41.6 mph. Range will be anywhere from 16 - 30 miles depending on how fast you go.

Thanks to Dmnum/Izeman for all the guidance with the BMS, Lyen for his excellent customer service and Migueralliart for his TA's and controller mount, well worth the ££.

Im sure this will be up for sale soon, if/when the Greyborg frames are released.

Nice build 8)
What are you using to charge the battery's?

Looks good mate. What do you think of the HT? I've got one on my greyborg frame right now at 24s\40a and I'm really liking it.

the HCX-D131 24S lipo is $58 plus shipping.

if we can get enuff people in the state interested we coudl split an order and then reship from here using the small flat rate boxes. shipping is about $15 for one and it was $19 for 6 when i ordered so with the $6 flat rate box it would be possible to split it and save a few bucks, not much.

Doesn't the bestech BMS get hot when it starts balancing? Or is that only with highly unbalance packs,?

The BMS gets warm. I think the more un-balanced the cells, the more heat that dissipates through the resistors. Mine got warm but not hot at all.

all BMSs do the same thing. when the charger pushes the cells up to full charge, some of them will reach full charge firs and the others need to keep charging so the BMS diverts the current around the full cells and allows the lower cells to catch up. the D131 gets hot because it has a very low shunt resistance so the current through the shunt resistor is high and that causes more heat than other BMS with a a high shunt resistance and low current.

high current and hi temp is best because it makes the battery balance faster. this keeps the balancing phase short so the heat up is short.

when the pack is almost at charger voltage then the shunt current is reduced and the heat falls off rapidly. so you can feel with you fingers when the pack is almost balanced when the heat falls off.

if they will prevent just one house fire from bulk charging lipo then they will be worth the effort to get people thinking in normal EV terms and not RC helicopter terms. when you balance charge there is nothing to protect you from short circuits or over discharge. bulk charging without a BMS will invite a fire. just a matter of time and statistics now.

Need to invest in a pre-charge unit. After only a handful of connections my connectors look like this;

47B6F7CB-5F7B-4A54-9115-AB60EAC9CC3D-17665-00000C2620DECF9F_zps507c064d.jpg

Regen works a treat thanks to Lyen, hopefully my TA's will stand up to it.

you can put a switch in the circuit current for the BMS to turn off the battery when you connect it to the controller. you have to turn it on to charge but if you turn the switch off the majority of the current drain is off and the battery does not spark when you connect either.

Attachments

• DSC01598.JPG
    DSC01598.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 3,142
  • DSC01626.JPG
    DSC01626.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 3,139
What a beautiful build! Are you running regen?

Thank you :)

Used it for the first time this morning, and works well. Im not sure if the other TA is up to the job with regards to regen as it is really harsh on the dropouts.

Ill most like likely re-design it at some point. I am on the lowest regen setting, and ideally I would like to halve that.

Thanks for the tip regarding the switch, I remember you mentioning that before but didn't realise it would help with my spark problem.

Sacko,

Just out of interest, why did you go for a lyen controller and not a crystalyte 12fet ?

Also, where did you get your magura throttle?

Kudos

I bought it from the UK, ill dig out a link.

To be honest it would probably have been cheaper and quicker though getting it from abroad though!

Due to its full programmability and the support.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49698&start=25#p748447

Saying that, the support I have received from Kenny @ Crystalyte has also been excellent.

I would expect to see around 31mph, which is perfect IMO.

24s/45mph is a lot of fun, but I would spend most of my time at 30mph; it's very efficient and quick enough.

Back