AHOY! NEXT UPHILL BICYCLE RACE in the Global Series!

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Calling all Mems of the International Ebike Racing Club (IEBC, watts mentioned already on Planet ES)!

In my vain attempt to keep ahead of the competition here (for Master of the Electric Bicycle Promotion), this last summer I conceived and raced in the first EVer International Ebike Uphill Race (as a promo device for the electramaterrific thingee).

So I am proposing a repeat of that race thingee, to become maybe be an annual EVent. So following notice to be posted around town plus online:

AHOY! NEXT UPHILL BICYCLE RACE!

Saturday July 12, 2014

Second Annual International Uphill Bicycle Race!

First one to reach the top wins! See death-defying competitors race from near the surface of Lake Ontario straight up the Scarborough Buffs road, north shore of the lake, on the "Americas" - northern half of that continent on the surface of the spheroid planet (endless, that dirty little thingee aka "earth"). And I maybe have spelled "bluffs" wrong, butt I understand clothing IS optional, sometimes, in that vicinity (as it was on the day of the same race last year)?

Nota Bene: All two or more wheeled pedal-able vehicles (with riders) welcome. But if using a motor with metal (eg chunks of magnetite, or "loadstone", plus copper wires) powered by electrons stored in a chemical "battery" (any "electric" and food, etc energy-powered "cycle", but NOT gasoline or diseasal), or "pedal electric", etc for our European friends) all wheeled vehicles MUST conform to Canadian Federal (and the "province" of Ontario) Engrish-language laws concerning the (electric) "power-assisted" bicycle! (Oddly, no mention in those laws about energy stored using twisted rubber bands, or harvested from air travelling to areas of lower pressures, aka "winds", etc.)

Race starts about 12 noon, local/"summer" time (and "earth" time, not sidereal time)! After race lawn/pool party nearby on and off Petticoat Lane (a looong driveway, to be renamed as P.L.) continues all afternoon and that evening. (On that date - not to be confused with the palm tree fruit of the same name, a full moon has promised to make an appearance... hopefully! She's pretty reliable, usually...)

Last years winner may be racing to defend his title (Yes grrrls, racing/party is open to all, even those less fortunate, although some may stare at anyone from another planet with similar or different breathable atmosphere perhaps comprised at least partially of the element "oxygen".) Also invited to race this year, Team Amego and Team Smart (riding the Smart electric bicycle from Mercedes Benz from the surface continent called "Europe" on that ball of dirt - see above)!

For details, check the online forum on the "World Wide Wait", for the Toronto Electric Riders Association (or the Yahoo Group for their Carbeerian Chapter). Rain date TBA.

Note: Many/most will not be able to race due to "other commitments" (despite plenty of lead time, or they are perhaps intimidated by Teams Amego and Smart). Let the excuses begin!

Post Scripts (in case any Roman friends are still reading, and have not left this script for others to decipher): Costume (or just comfortable togas) encouraged for the theatre (after party, but as a wise one said once, our whole little planet is a stage... at least on its surface, one might assume, and not somewhere underground and perhaps TOO grotto-y). Caution! Some riders may be wearing spurs, but any horses or other earth animals should not have been harmed (hopefully) in the performance of these EVents. Plus that crazy, really, really, REALLY old Greek guy will not be attending, as he was arrested for running through the streets naked, shouting in his native language the equivalent of the Engrish word "Eureka". Any net proceeds (still edible foods left over, and any togas found lying around afterwards, etc) will be kept or eaten by the home for old sailors, etc, or disposed of as they may see fit. (And please, "BYOB", port wine, etc.) Also any pirates, please swagger (or stagger), as mincing may be frowned upon.

Wish it was happening near my house. We have some real long hills around here.

Sounds like the party after is better than the race.

@Master DM. Maybe kick off yer own uphill race in your own neck of the woods? (Personally, I wouldn't mind traveling from uphill race to uphill race.)

@r3volved. HA! My rusty borken steed has NO problems exceeding 32kmh (downhills, w/a tailwind). Add sail, the v-hickle gets a "lift" forward of the beam as well.

I have a perfect site for one, but there are about 3 ebikers in a 200 mile circle of my house. It's all 4 door one ton pickups out here, hauling a trailer with 700cc all terrain vehicles.

Only thing green here is the chile.

If someone transports deathbike to and from the event for me, I will happily fly in and ride. I enjoy Canada. Good people, low percentage of war-mongers.

If I could understand that right, it's limited to road legal bikes. So no death bike. :cry:

This IMO, does somewhat turn it back into a pedaling contest. Since a strong rider would have quite an advantage up a steep hill. Even worse than a 1000w limited death race in a way. At least that would be a lose less energy cornering, and drafting strategy contest.

Still would be fun to attend, with a light and legal ride. Like I said, the party after sounds fun as hell.

Ah! Some Masters of the Clan (of the Ebike) are popping up!

As I said (earlier, in this thread), "as a promo device for the electramaterrific thingee". So "regional" races (close to home for many, one might hope) otta produce "regional" winners? (And best case, some free advertising for the ebike) And those can lead to a national championship (read, corp travel, etc sponsorships. See also "free beers", "loose ebiker boys and grrrl "groupies", etc).

Hadn't thought of this, but once a year? If some road is temp closed for the annual EVent? I say Death Bikes welcome! And no doubt some pedalars (antique pedal-only bicycle lovers) could "boogie" up many steep hills, but I bet my electramathingee motor can spin faster than they can pedal (plus I wouldn't spill my drink).

So, any aliens here on the Spheroid Planet (Endless) wanna help kick off (or roll off) a global uphill race circuit (not to be confused with the circuits we all know and love)?

L

PS... Of course, regional EVents need to be spread out, so some ebikers might stagger from party to party.

PPS (for any Roman ebiker friends watt may be reading), convo leading up to the First Annual TERA Hill Climbing Competition in August last year, with race reports plus pic of that winning sneaky ebiker guy holding his trophy, see here:
http://www.meetup.com/Electric-Bicycles/messages/boards/thread/36435712

PS (and I know I keep forgetting our Roman ebiker friends - Are there any here? Butt I am trying to be inclusive.) To include folks from the Global Electric Bicycle Association (wherEVer they might be), any uphill racing circuit might be "International". (And inter-global, other planets, etc will have to wait.)

Seriously? Nobuddy here on the Spheroid Planet (Endless) wants to see an ebiker winning local uphill bicycle races? And a internat series of races (and parties)??? Locally, I have been communicating (emailing) with a marketing fellow with some outfit named Mercedes Benz about them competing (in the road-legal category). But I can understand if folks on ES have nEVer heard of some company with a foreign-sounding name...
L

Hill climb events would be great at establishing classes for e-bikes competitions. Thinking I would prefer a total bike Weight as class defining factor. Unlimited power/ battery. Push the envelope of power to weight. Pedal power would be a big added factor to the lightest/ most efficient bike designs. Not as much to the heavy weight builds. Both sides of the equation would have a fair shot in their respected classes with the heavy weight classes venturing into more of moto territory.

Good stuff... `Cept I (and other pedal-only cyclists) might question higher weight for any bike? EG, "heavy" might seem "TOO heavy" to bump over a curb, lift up one or more steps... yes? (But I admit, so far my trike seems to stand OK on three wheels, despite the added weight of motor, batt, etc.)

Thanks!

Thank you for entering your event information! It will be reviewed by the Special Events unit of the City of Toronto and if your event meets the criteria your submission will be posted within two weeks.

Special Events

Awfully nice (for a City that prohibits the Canadian "power-assisted bicycle" elsewhere...) to accept my app for a child/wheelchair accessible venue/EVent, and provide city washrooms at the same venue! Well, maybe wait for somebuddy at city hall to stop throwing up (or laughing like crazy, or both).

Jul 12, 2014 - Moonrise 8:55 PM (Moonset will be earlier, at 6:08 AM
Meridian passing 1:05 AM (Alt 27.8, and unfortunately, 359,494 km away - no winds to assist my little batt pack on the way back. And must remember to pack some snacks, plus some oxygen.)

Still, 99.7% illuminated and that Full Moon at 7:25 AM a "Super Full/Ebiker Moon"

But I hope some might wish me "Bon Voyage" (If you are French, I promise not to hold that against you.)

Torontoist Events
Today at 4:45 AM
To lock

Hi there,
This is an automated email to say thank you for emailing your event for inclusion in our event listings, which are curated and written by a team of Torontoist arts writers. These listings will appear in our Events section, viewable through the calendar on the sidebar of our site. They'll also appear in a daily post called Urban Planner on the day your event takes place or begins.

There is no fee for sending us events for editorial listings, though please note that submitting events does not guarantee their inclusion. (Please note, as well, that most events need to be emailed well in advance—ideally at least a week—to be considered.)

Thank you for submitting the following event to the Global Toronto Events calendar.

Uphill Bicycle Race
When Saturday, July 12, 2014
Where Brimley Road South, Race start at Lake level, 12 noon. (After race costume lawn party nearby.)
Type of Event Community/Charity, Education, Fairs/Festivals, Family/Kids, Fitness, Food and Drink, Health, Hobbies, Outdoors, Pets & Animals, Religious, Sales/Shopping, Sports, Theatre, Visual Arts
Age Range Children, Teenagers, Adults, Seniors
Cost Zero, to enter race.
Contact Information See the Toronto Electric Riders Assoc. web site for details.
More http://www.meetup.com/Electric-Bicycles/

http://www.toronto4kids.com/Calendar/index.php/name/Uphill-Bicycle-Race/event/9576/

Seen here:
http://bikingtoronto.com/forum/topic.php?id=9203

2nd Annual Uphill Bicycle Race!

Saturday, next July 12, 2014. Race starts at 12 noon, at the foot of Brimley Road South in Scarborough. So, near Ontario Lake surface level, then up the Scarborough Bluffs, to end at the top near Kingston Road! First to cross the finish line wins! (After race costume party close, a little west and just off Kingston Road, plus full moon has promised to make an appearance that night!)

Naughty old ebiker failed to note those darned electric bicycle riders may show up... To be fair (all bicycle/tricycle pedal-able vehicle riders welcome of course) I'm thinking of adding a third category, watt provisionally I am calling the "antique" bicycle, etc category (for some who may be handicapped, or disabled, without electramaterrific thingee to assist them). Hope that's not too rude... :lol:

Company Mountain Equipment Co-Op ("MEC") knows how to promote their products (pick a date, any date):
http://events.mec.ca/find-an-event?start%5Bvalue%5D%5Bdate%5D=2014-07-12&end%5Bvalue%5D%5Bdate%5D=&type%5B%5D=14&activity%5B%5D=1&city=

dogman said:
I have a perfect site for one, but there are about 3 ebikers in a 200 mile circle of my house. It's all 4 door one ton pickups out here, hauling a trailer with 700cc all terrain vehicles.

Only thing green here is the chile.
Yum! Master D. May I please come? (The idea is to make "your" annual EVent grow and grow. And how many ebike groupees may I invite please?)

L

ps.... I meant invite dogs and their puppies, silly!

Well, made it on another (free) listing:
http://www.bikeevents.to/calendar/2014-07

Ummm... For some here debating whether to start their own neighbourhood uphill bicycle race, maybe think "Formula One Car local racing Grand Prix" for the waaay cooler crowd (aka electric bicycle riders, who I suspect may do rather well, at least in the on road category...But the "Open" and "Antique" categories too.)
L

Crazy/sneaky mad old half-dead ebiker strikes again!:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/politics-only/2nd-annual-toronto-leg-intnl-uphill-bicycle-race-317573.html

Your mail has been sent:
To: 43 Division
Subject: Race up Brimley Road
Message: Hello 43 Division! This summer coming, on Saturday, July 12, at 12 noon there will be a race up Brimley Road South. Start around 12 noon. At the end of the road, at about surface level of Lake Ontario, then up the road, finish about same place as last year, approaching Kingston Road. So basically "straight up the Scarborough Bluffs"! And vehicles? Bicycles, and maybe a tricycle or two (same as last year). Anyway... Just wish to "keep you in the loop"! (Though it'd be sorta nice if any Toronto Police bicycle riders wanted to race, or just show up to watch the "action".) As Brimley Rd is "borderline" to 43 Division, might someone there maybe fwd this message to your "neighbour" Division? (I am new to the east end of Toronto, and your name/Division just popped up first.) Cheers ("Lock") Toronto (Scarborough)

FW: Race up Brimley Road
Today at 10:11 AM
To: 41 Special Events,
cc: That sneaky/crazy old half-dead guy "lock"

Good Morning:
Mr. H is looking for some assistance for an event being held at the Cathedral Bluffs marina and has requested that the information be passed along to 41 division.

With thanks:
Paul Rowe #7940

Back