Met an Optibike 1100R rider today.

Kepler

10 MW
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Down here in Sunny Melbourne Australia, it is rare to see another ebike so you can imagine my surprise when i came across a full bells and whistles Optibike 1100R on my local bike paths :)

I was on my Bafang middrive heading home from work doing my normal multiple overtaking moves along a busy stretch of bike path when straight away I noticed this very bright, thick framed bike that could be only be one thing. As I pulled up next to him all excited, I yelled over to him, "that's an Optibike 1100R" He nearly ran off the path :lol:

So of course, I settled in for a bit of a chat so I could suss out exactly what the story was behind this bike and rider. Was a very interesting conversation. This guy didnt realise that i was also on an ebike and proceed to do the big sell on the virtues of ebikes and all the amazing features of the Optibike. Now, anyone passionate about ebiking is a friend of mine and as such was happy listen to his story even if much of what he was saying was a little on the exaggerated side.

About 10km into our ride I finally let him know I was on ebike also and of course he then began to ask me a few questions about what I ride. I didn't go into too much detail as to be honest, I was more interested about hearing what his story was and how does someone come to the decision to buy one of the most expensive ebikes on the planet. Turns out he just wanted a full suspension ebike with big range and lots of power. Got to presume he was fairly well cashed up as it cost him $16K landed. Ouch.

So my quick impressions of the bike.

The bike was not what I would consider good looking with the styling looking kind of old fashion.The bike looked big, significantly bigger than a normal pushbike.
Great level of equipment with Fox suspension all round and the Rohloff gear hub.

At first I thought the bike was quite quiet but we weren't going very fast and he was pedaling without assist. We then came to steep section of path. He activated the assist and the bike flew up hill, quicker then I could keep up with on my 750W Bafang. But the noise!! OMG, I could not believe it. I had read that the Optibikes were not quiet but I wasn't expecting that. I recon double the noise of a GNG or a Cyclone.

Anyway, was very pleased to finally see an Optibike in the flesh and after saying goodbye, rode away very satisfied with what I was riding.

Kepler said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:
it cost him $16K landed. Ouch.
But the noise!! OMG, I could not believe it.

Wow an Opti 1100R in the wild. I'd have to say well spotted John...there aren't many here. I like them but of course I am a little biased having one of the first models years ago and a newer one a few years later. They both climbed steep trails like a nobbled goat and are pretty stealthy...apart from the turbine effect or bee swarm as it's been described. Of course my least favourite part was the price tag and I can certainly understand why you rode away happy with your ride. They do have a couple of new, much less expensive models now, the Pioneer Allroad for around $3K and the SIMBB 29C for around $6K.

Does anyone know where there is an Optibike for sale here is Aussieland. I would love to get one that is "clapped out" in the back of someones shed and whack a nice QUIET hub motor on it and have a nice bike to ride around on. I have always loved the look of them, but obviously not the price tag.

Cheers,
Tony.
Yipee!!!!!!! I got one.Mmmmm...Optibike

Back