The Build, Trek Pure, Bafang BBS01, progress

tomjasz

1 GW
Dork warning. Yes an e cruiser. My first build.

I thought for my sanity and a single place to track my build I'd start a thread. A few over the years have enquired about a Trek pure build so here's a thread tracking mine. So far I have,

The bike, Trek Pure Deluxe First problem, no rear brakes. No decent system of attaching caliper or disk. Solution? What may be a somewhat underpowered drum brake system, but one with parts and support. Dork! Remember, I'm not out to ride the speed limits. Just keep up with my able friends on the bike trail and haul bits and pieces on errands. Nothing, I need, is more than 5 miles away.

The rear 3 speed Sturmey-Archer S30 X-RD3 3-Speed Drum Brake Hub. Yes it may not like the torque, but remember? Dork. I think, given that shifting may be rare, if I'm wrong there's always another way. shipping

The battery 36V Samsung Frame Mounted Pack- Configuration 10S 5P, 29E cells, 36V, 13.8Ah EM3ev

The charger Aluminium Case Charger 42V 2.5A,10S Li Ion/NCM EM3ev

The power Bafang BBS01 36V 350W EM3ev

Stay tuned

Doh!

1.Dork
Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times. A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks.

I can't see a reason to not use the controller built into the BBS01. Your idea?

I believe the built in controller gives 18a to the motor

18a is quite weak and to meet your needs to carry or haul stuff you will be underpowered (I believe)

Now I understand mid drive systems have more pull but the wattage and amperage are quite low

Hopefully someone with experience with this setup can chime in here

Chime in to do what? It's being built. Watch, enjoy, or don't. :roll:

I have been interested in this "350w" bb motor, but have no experience with it. But FWIW 18 amps at "36v" is still about 700w. Plenty to cruise at 25 mph in the right gear. Plenty to get up 10% grades in a low gear.

I do have a bb drive bike, with 500w. It pulls like a mule in low gear. But only 24v and brushed, it's top speed is less than 500w should get you. I don't see why the controller needs to be bigger, unless you want to have more wattage in a high gear, so you can melt the motor. ( like many did with bolt on cyclone kits)

Leaving it in high gear, then doing uphill starts from a stop sign is how you fry a bb drive motor. You might need to shift more than a hubmotor does. But if it's flat, and you aren't hauling a big load, you just need to pedal that start.

A picture of your bike would help us figure out your brakes situation. You might be able to bolt on a caliper type rim brake.

Looking at this link, the picture of the bike shows rear rim brakes. Don't you have some bosses on the frame for rim brakes in back? If you just like the drum brake better fine, but the cheap one I had on my Schwinn trike had no stopping power at all.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/recreation/pure/pure/

After reading the NZ group buy reports I'm confident I made the right choice. Plenty of power at 650w, for me. I didn't look at your photo. If it's the 7 speed then yes there are lugs for brakes. But the 3 speed, mine, does not. The retrofit, after some time in the bike shop, seems to me will be a cobble job. There are reasonably good reports on the Sturmey Archer 70mm drum brakes. So thats what I have coming. I wanted the 90mm but that hub was to wide for my frame. At some juncture the whole rig will go into a new frame if braking is inadequate. Front brakes being calliper are also under-performers. The front, being 70-80% of the braking would be more of a concern to me IF I were interested in running over 18. We'll see. Also planning a build with a Nuvinci 360 3 spd no gears hub. I'll look at your picture and post the links to what I've found once I'm off the iPad. I already got clumsy and deleted this post twice with my fat finger. :lol:
http://slowcycles.com/index.php/buynz
For the record, I'm not interested in any controller mods or issues at this juncture.

And thanks again Dog, your constant feedback from day one has helped immensely.

Edit, as I thought, my Trek is a 2012

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,728
Nuvinci cvt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 1,102
Today Moon confirmed my kit and charger are going out for shipment. I expect my tracking in a few days. WOO HOO!!!

That's why it's best if you send pictures of your bike, I go look, and find a different one.

Looks like your forks don't have a disk mount, so a front disk is not so easy. But a good welder could put the mount on those forks. They are surely steel. My first ebike was a trike. The rear band brake was a total joke, but the front v brakes did well enough. That bike often went 30 mph.

Chances are, you will have plenty good brakes for 18 mph. But if the bike will go 25, then you will find yourself doing that I bet. But if you do, I think you will still be able to stop ok. Whatever you get from the rear brake will be added to the front one.

tomjasz said:

Dooowit! Dooowit! Dooowit!

I can't wait to see how this build turns out. Mine is "slightly crank forward", I think this supabadd crank-forward bike is gonna rokk as an ebike!

dogman said:
That's why it's best if you send pictures of your bike, I go look, and find a different one.

Looks like your forks don't have a disk mount, so a front disk is not so easy. But a good welder could put the mount on those forks. They are surely steel. My first ebike was a trike. The rear band brake was a total joke, but the front v brakes did well enough. That bike often went 30 mph.

Chances are, you will have plenty good brakes for 18 mph. But if the bike will go 25, then you will find yourself doing that I bet. But if you do, I think you will still be able to stop ok. Whatever you get from the rear brake will be added to the front one.
As i posted in another discussion, i am keeping it as a 15-18 mph bike. Some think that's all the unit will do. I also posted pictures, I guess you read so many posts you lose track, understandably. :D Everything I've read, including reviews of bicycles using them, indicates drum brakes will be fine. All speculation aside, we'll see when the build is through the first iteration. I have a tracking and delivery date of 4/22, Earth Day, for the battery. Confirmation of shipping motor unit also came via email this morning. Woo hoo!

Thanks! td

jkbrigman said:
tomjasz said:

Dooowit! Dooowit! Dooowit!

I can't wait to see how this build turns out. Mine is "slightly crank forward", I think this supabadd crank-forward bike is gonna rokk as an ebike!
It's happening! Nice job on the Specialized. The geometry looks very much the same! I really enjoyed reading and learning fro your thread. Well done! I want that front fork!

td

Yeah, but if you do find that bike does 25 mph, I bet you ride it that fast more than you planned. :wink:

Your brakes should be good, even to 30 mph if you have some situational awareness.

You're on. Remember I'm selling the 80+ mph scooter in favor of a <30 mph 2T scooter. I'll run 30 on a machine designed and built for speed until I build an EBike capable, with properly designed braking, of running and stopping at 30+. I already need a cane to walk, I have no interest in an electric wheelchair. Although it would be a faster than average one with what I've learned. :wink:

The last box will be here tomorrow making the delivery time from order placed to final delivery 7 working days. AWSOME job Cell_man.

tomjasz said:
Dork warning. Yes an e cruiser. My first build.

I thought for my sanity and a single place to track my build I'd start a thread. A few over the years have enquired about a Trek pure build so here's a thread tracking mine. So far I have,

The bike, Trek Pure Deluxe First problem, no rear brakes. No decent system of attaching caliper or disk. Solution? What may be a somewhat underpowered drum brake system, but one with parts and support. Dork! Remember, I'm not out to ride the speed limits. Just keep up with my able friends on the bike trail and haul bits and pieces on errands. Nothing, I need, is more than 5 miles away.

Sounds wonderful and it should do exactly what you want, nice modern classic look too.

Bon voyage.

All parts in place. Wheel build will start next week. LBS will do the wheel. Sorting out and reading all available manuals. Apparently Ver. 1 is it, on Bafang web site. None come with the purchase. That's disappointing. Shipping time was stellar. Shipped Monday and Tuesday, received Thursday and Friday. With time to shipping agent and order processing, 7 working days. Unit build date for BBS01, 2/20/2014. No instruction for battery mount either. Another disappointment.

Still enthusiastic about the drive. Motor install with existing wheel begins in the morning.

tomjasz said:
Another disappointment.

Hey, reality check, don't be too disappointed.
Even with this 'conservative' build, as an ebike hobbyist you are kind of on the cutting edge.
That means some head scratching and figuring it out.
Not good / bad, just fact.
Reminds me of dealing w/ UNIX couple decades ago... unspoken attitude was kind of "if you can't figure it out, you don't deserve it."

Be proud of being on cutting edge, and dedicate your sleepless nights to figuring out "how the heck does this / should this work???"

Crappy user documentation? It was always so, will always be.

And today most computer users have no idea what unix is. Is that what Bafang and the Ebike industry wants? Yeah, I'll get there, but for $1200 some basic guidelines are already earned.

tomjasz said:
And today most computer users have no idea what unix is. Is that what Bafang and the Ebike industry wants? Yeah, I'll get there, but for $1200 some basic guidelines are already earned.

I don't think that is what ebike industry wants... but they don't get us custom builder / hot rodders.

Taking unix analogy a bit further... Sun Microsystems (full disclosure, badge number xxxx) had incredible OS, never made it user friendly. Frankly, smart engineers never believed it could be done... or should be. Management listened to them, so it wasn't done. Remember Solaris x86 by any chance? Woo hoo! Incredible horsepower, in the worlds least user friendly package.

Then Steve Jobs at Apple said "it can be user friendly, it should be, it will be... If you don't see it that way you are fired. Cool?"

Outcome? Unix is now in the hands of the masses as a useful tool... they just don't know it ;)
Had to fix a minor file system problem on wife's Mac (computer...) system last week that needed command line.
Maybe second time for command line prompt this year? Is that amazing or what???

But Apple system is pre-packaged, not roll-your-own. Roll-your-own is probably always going to be more fun for builders, but documentation... Don't hold breath ;)

One guy's opinion. YMMV

I gave up on buying boxes of parts from mwave 15 years ago in favor of Mac books. I'm spoiled.

Well it works. Observations and fixes.

1. Key lock. It doesn't matter what postiton the key is in. Hitting the power button turns the power on. Yeah ya brain dead imbecile, the key locks the mounting rack in place. DOUBLE DOH!!!!

2. The BB is NOT 68. My fault. I measured and checked with LBS. They confirmed it was 68. It IS 73MM. Need to read about that fix. Spacers and longer screws. No problem, Fastenal is based in Lower Lumpa, just up the street.

3. Error code while testing on bench. Error code 21. Speed sensor error one of the unidentified parts I am looking up

4. Hub makes a clunking sound. I may have the chain to tight. I had to add to the already unusually long chain. Add a link or so and reset rear wheel.

5. A few parts I'm clueless about. One part looks like a little red LED. Going through parts list again.

6. Battery mount mystery continues. No one seems to be able to answer my question. What is the lever marked push? It doesn't seem to do anything. How is the base released to use on water bottle mount. DON"T SAY PUSH. I've tried it 100 times just short of busting it. I really frocked this one. All is good. I'm an idiot without a manual. I have a long row to hoe. THANKS to all the ever so patient posters that guided my through my idiocy.

7. The battery level indicators on the battery case do not light up or provide any indication of level.

3, 4, and 6 are my biggest worry.

Pictures tomorrow when I'm rested. Too many hours on my feet today. OUCH! Aging sucks.

Back