Ikea Folkvänlig - $1000 ebike

Ikea to sell (initially in Vienna, Austria) an ebike for €749/$1000:

http://gizmodo.com/ikeas-selling-an-electric-bike-to-help-get-all-those-bo-1579602109
http://gas2.org/2014/05/15/the-ikea-folkvanlig-isnt-furniture-its-an-electric-bike/
http://presse.professional.at/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2804:umweltfreundlich-ikea-faehrt-nun-auch-e-rad&catid=47:ikea&Itemid=117

Great find.

I hope it's a success. Looks good to me. Al frame with steel fork. Hope the normal bike running gear is good, I did read Shimano somewhere.

There is already websites dedicated to modding IKEA furniture, I'm sure this will be no different.

main.php

main.php

Here's a choppy Google translate from German, Diavelo is based in Holland.:

"...Austria is responsible for the store test country for selling e-bikes, which were obviously created by Diavelo. The three received design awards are the IF Design Award, one of the cycle shows in Taipei and a Euro Bike Award...."

http://www.ebike-news.de/ikea-verkauft-eigenes-e-bike-namens-folkvaenlig/7278/

Interesting, especially since the common response here to a n00b is to avoid a front hub motor. Call me confused.

If u want to comply with the ultra low power ultra slow speed law from brussel(EU) than its ok
if not than not

Zero problem with a front motor on a steel fork. Low power, so they won't get scary wheel slip.

Nice price, all in. I give it a thumbs up. Just one till we learn more about the battery.

The usual stupid range claim of course. Range is infinite if you ride with the motor off.

BTW. Lots bought into the "Peoples Car" once upon a time. In modern terms this is now the "Peoples VAN", apparently.

8.8 ah of 36v would be around 330 wh. Riding 15 mph, using 150w, 30 mile range plausible.

I was afraid the thing might have a 5 ah pack.

I like it,i think its a better fit than a price comparable 120lb plastic scooter you cant peddle. 8)

LockH said:
BTW. Lots bought into the "Peoples Car" once upon a time. In modern terms this is now the "Peoples VAN", apparently.

As a kid of about 8, I had seen the movie Soylent Green. I also knew that "Volkswagen" meant "People's car", and had also heard how Volkswagen had gotten their start in Nazi Germany.
So in my 8 year old brain, "Volkswagens are made of peeeeopleeee!"

I wonder if this Ikea-mobile comes in a flat box with 2 or 3 extra parts that never seem to fit anywhere.

Yes, I have to admit, I would probably buy one if I had the cash.

Hehe... `Round here I understand one can finance purchase at about 1/2 cost of monthly pubic (sp?) transit pass (if one has a thing called a "credit rating"). ASAP I would buy a second batt to double my distances/range. (Batt w/charger in my backpack.)

not to open another topic, I came accross this diavelo bike in a mall
45_postkort.jpg

The thing I found worth sharing is this :

so the bike is sold unregistered, but ready to be registered :
as soon as you slides in the licence plate, it will activate a switch (the small little white point) to "unleash 500W" :D
or ride up to 45km/h since it makes it moped

How much does it cost? How much does the "license" cost?

ambroseliao said:
How much does it cost? How much does the "license" cost?

They are trying to get rid of it, at around 2500CHFr (Swiss francs) (...about 2700 US$ :roll: )
The license for 45km/h MAX speed vehicles is "symbolic" in switzerland, like 65CHFr/year

I purchased a Folkvänlig e-bike yesterday at IKEA in Malmö Sweden for 5995 SEK (that's about 650 EUR or 840 USD). That's a fantastic price if you ask me... the salesperson said that they sell our very quickly in the four different IKEA stores that sell them in Sweden (Malmö, Uppsala, Jönköping & Älmhult).

I bought the woman's model and it has three gears. I wish it had more gears because you have to pedal pretty quickly at top speed (25 km/h). That's why I'm investigating if it's possible to connect a throttle so that I don't have to pedal so fast (I started a separate thread about that http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=63245). If anyone's interested the battery is a Protanium Li-ion 36V 8,7 Ah 313 Wh.

I wonder if it's possible to get rid of the 25 km/h limitation?

This is what the controller looks like...
20140912-082902.jpg

Brgds... /BlueSwede

So, peak 540W, continous 252Watts (only?) Kinda wonder how long batts/motor etc can handle 540W... "comfortably".

I found a small undocumented feature (not mentioned in the instructions manual).

Press and hold the minus button on the display and the motor will move the bike at slow speed (maybe 6 km/h) even if you're not pedaling. The display will show a message "PU" whatever that means. I suppose it's an aid for walking your bike up steep hills.

bike11.jpg

Brgds... /BlueSwede

PS. Still no idea about how to disable the 25 km/h speed limit. :cry:

Standard feature on the BBS01 C961 display as well.

If I press and hold the "M" button the display will show either 27 or 36... what's that about? I didn't notice any performance difference.

Brgds... /BlueSwede

Re: Ikea Folkvänlig - $1000 ebike
Postby BlueSwede » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:40 am

If I press and hold the "M" button the display will show either 27 or 36... what's that about? I didn't notice any performance difference.

Brgds... /BlueSwede
When you Press the M button, and see 27, you can increase that value by pressing the Plus button at the same time....but no effect noticed, reaches the digit 29 on my Ikea bike :)

Here's a couple of ways you get to the speed limit in other LCDs:

Press and hold the mode (M) or SET button for a few seconds to enter setup mode. Then, a quick press of the power button or the mode/set button changes parameters until you get to the speed limit screen. Some have the speed limit in advanced parameters, which means that when you're already in the setup mode, press and hold the mode/set button again for up to 10 seconds which will take you to new parameter, which you can scroll with the set/mode or power button, and change with the + and - buttons.

Press and hold the + and - buttons together for a few seconds. Then again naybe a lot longer to get to advanced parameters if it has them.

I've had two identical displays, but different controllers. One of them could change one parameter, which was wheel size. The other could change nearly everything with two levels of settings. I guess it depends on the software what you can do.

Suppose the only thing that can be adjusted is the wheel size then (but I've never heard of 36" wheels though)?

The 27-29 or 36 adjusatment does nothing to the actual speed or the speed displayed. Could it affect the odometer maybe?

I've tried all the other combinations mentioned in earlier posts but it doesn't do anything.

Brgds... /BlueSwede

PS. Topic should be renamed to Ikea Folkvänlig - $828 ebike :wink:

Back