Triangle battery advice

mythprod

10 W
Hi guys, I was hit a few months ago by an older lady crossing a bike path in a hurry to go shopping. :? Luckily I wasn't that hurt but the bike was totaled. As I work it out with the insurance company (who knows when that will end) I'm thinking I may go ahead and purchase a candidate for my next ebike conversion. I haven't had a bike most of the summer and am starting to go stir crazy. Some of the replacement candidates have nice triangles and am hoping I can pull off stowing my battery in the triangle vs. the back rack like I have been doing. Now that I'm in a position to start over I'm rethinking the way I built my first bike - it was very top heavy and a lot of that had to do with that large battery sitting on my bike rack in a bag.

Here's what my old one looked like, minus some upgrades I had done after this picture (it's a 1997 Gary Fisher Tassajarra):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1hwgs5e44quyz73/2012-09-12%2010.50.15.jpg

I had a few things done to it I'm not sure you'll find interesting - I had attached the controller using the vertical water holder screws, had 2 torque arms one for each side of the fork and a larger Maxxis hookworm tire and dh tube. I never had problem with the wheel that came with the yescomusa kit but I did break spokes in my rear wheel from time to time. I'm 220lbs (give or take 10 pounds depending on how much I ride). I think the battery is around 22 lbs.

The new bikes i've been looking at, like a Schwinn Moab, have a similar triangle which looks like it may hold my battery given mounting device, I'm looking for advice on what that might be. I know there are triangle bags as well as boxes (I'm favoring the latter). My battery is a larger 48v 20ah batt (like this: http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/the-2/lifepo4-lithium-ion-phosphate/Detail). Am I screwed thinking I can store that big of a battery in the triangle?

I used to commute to work 12.5 miles going 30+ (using a 1000W DD motor) but have since switched jobs and am still about 12.5 miles away but it's all bike trail. That means it's safer but will only be going 20 or less. I haven't been able to confirm for sure if the battery is okay after the wreck, physically 2 of the cells had mildly bashed in corners but I'm still reading 54v on the output. So I'm not sure yet but a new battery may be in the cards, it's on my claim but like I said no idea when that will go through (Chubb insurance is being extremely slow and fussy) and would love to continue using this LifePO4 if I can.

The kit was a yescomusa 1000w front hub and was happy with it. I'm thinking I may get a rear hub this time with a 7 cassette (21 speed) and likely stick with a throttle. I'm 6'1" so my frame will likely be 21" and hopefully I can get one all steel. I still have the heavy duty torque arms (only one is kinda visible in the pic, I bought a second one shortly after for the other side of the fork) but would like to keep a front suspension and a hard tail should work fine (maybe a thudbusting seat). Kansas City does a pretty decent job with their bike trails and I'm on paved bike trail all the way to work so I'm thinking if I can figure out the placement of my battery and controller I can start shopping for bikes with a bit more confidence.

TIA for any advice!

In my opinion, triangle mounted batteries are the ONLY way to go. The difference you'll feel is like night and day. Keeping the battery between your knees does amazing things for balance of the bike and handling improvements.

I love the ibera triangle frame bags. The large size can easily fit 48V10AH of nearly any battery, even ping batteries. It can fit 15AH of many styles of 48V packs as well (not ping though, too bulky). em3ev.com also sells some great custom triangle packs, but they are bit pricy. Worth the money though, if you can afford it.

Check out this thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49426&hilit=ibera

I have an ibera triangle bag but it's just not big enough. It's great for tools and stuff but not that big battery. I would think it'd be tough to find a bag tough enough to have 22 lbs. hanging from it and stay connected for long. I was also considering a box, maybe some sort of pelican-like box that I could drill custom holes and openings for the straps and cables.

I don't have any experience with the battery in the triangle, but I didn't really like it being on the back rack. It sat up too high and made the bike top-heavy. I definitely want the battery lower to the ground and away from the back, if possible. I guess putting it someplace on the front is an option too but I'm looking to mount in the triangle if possible.

I think I've narrowed in on a bike at least, it's a steel frame, triangle seems large enough for a battery and in the price range ($200) I can afford right now.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29203336

What do you think of this one? I did a search and found a couple of others that have converted and couldn't find any complaints about it. I guess I could get a 500w vs. a 1000w rear wheel kit and get a newer smaller battery this time. Maybe that would help the battery mounting situation.

I'm not familiar with that bike but it seems fine from the specs. steel frame, linear pull rim brakes. Looks like a slight step up from the entry level department store bikes.

Are you sure you have the large size ibera bag? I have the medium and large, the medium is definitely a tool bag, but the large fits my 48V10AH li-ion battery, my 9fet controller, and has room to spare.

If you still need even bigger, you'll want the EM3EV triangle bag. it's top quality. You pay for that quality, but its the best. It's also got huge capacity. It'd likely fit that bike nicely.

I agree, the triangle is a great place. I really disliked the handling of my ebike with a 10lb battery on the back. Then I moved it to the triangle, and life was good. It was an amazing difference.

Check out Paul's batteries on emv3.com. I like his stuff better than PING, mostly because the lifepo4 is so darned heavy, and Paul has good service and has some great battery options. In my case, I am able to get a battery with Paul that is less than half the weight of my lifepo4 battery. Paul also configures the batteries to fit in the triangle if that is what you are looking for.

Back