Just trashed a brand new Epoch Freewheel

NeilP

1 GW
After waiting 4 weeks for it to arrive, I have just trashed a new 11-28 DNP Epoch freewheel :(

It has more metal at the back, behind the biggest cog, than my old freewheel so the biggest cog was a good 12mm away from the motor side cover, as opposed to 8mm on my old freewheel.

This is always the danger of starting a new job after midday..If you can't make a start on a job early morning..then give up and start the next day. I made a start on this at 3pm.

So since the back was too thick, I thought I'd spin a bit of extra metal off of it on the lathe. But I could not manage to get it to hold correctly, and going up to my mates to use a milling machine...nah..lets just use the 9 inch angle grinder.

What a f wit!! took too much off, over heated it and it is now gritty as hell and does to turn properly...No more than I expected really ...bloody idiot. Now I'll have to wait another 4 weeks for a new one to arrive from the USA ...

I left it as is for now...I may yet be able to take off the rear locking ring, and strip it...but it looks very much like I have taken too much off of the main body...pretty sure I can see a line ...like I am cutting through the edge of a supporting wall :(

Ya - I had a similar clearance issue jumping from an 11-32T to an 11-28T. It's odd the design is different. Anyhow, as you pointed it out, it relocates the cogs to the right - I lost clearance for my chain on the outer cog.

Since I had a frame spreader tool in hand, I just racked the frame open a bit further and slipped in an outer spacer.

62-02_freewheelComparison_iv250.jpg
I'll be curious to see how your experiment in removing the locking ring works out. I was going to try that and just re-stack the new cogs onto the old spindle, but chickened out and went the spreader route instead...

Sorry for your loss and frustration, its a sad day.

On a positive note, I've used the angle grinder a few times to take off old freewheels, we know the tool is good for ruining them with precision.

All would have been well if I had done it on the mill or the bigger lathe at my mates, but I was just too impatient.
What an idiot !

I thought about a spacer and spreading the dropout a bit, it was not difficult, but , the disk brake clearance on the other side is so tight it would probably cause problems. IN theory it should not...but..the way my luck has been join ton this build..i'd rather leave it all well alone.

I've got 8spd 11/32 and 7 speed 11/30 if you need a replacement £20 plus postage. They're new.

d8veh said:
I've got 8spd 11/32 and 7 speed 11/30 if you need a replacement £20 plus postage. They're new.

Great. I'll take the 11/30 if it is the flush rear as in the picture...in fact if they are both going spare, I'll take them both if they are the 'flat back ' style.

Cheers

Back